Player Watch Adam Oxley (Delisted 2018)

Remove this Banner Ad

Went at 92% efficiency in game 1 and 75% in game 2. In both games he was one amongst our best disposers of the ball, and his field kicking has been unfairly judged by most since his move to defence, because everyone remembers his awful kicking for goal when he played forward.

Fact is, he's no worse than Seedsman in terms of accuracy. He has similar ability to run and carry, probably just lacks the bullet like penetration of Seeds kicks. He will be a surprise packet to many this year if he can stay fit imo.

He's firming up as our next Ben Johnson IMO.

Went at 92% efficiency in game 1 and 75% in game 2. In both games he was one amongst our best disposers of the ball, and his field kicking has been unfairly judged by most since his move to defence, because everyone remembers his awful kicking for goal when he played forward.
Sinclair kicks and hopes blindly and this was evident in game one.

He was better Sunday, despite the clearly flawed stats.

I think kicking blindly into a forward line counts as an effective kick, even if the opposition mop it up with ease. Sinclair's trademark is the blind bomb. He is a s**t kick.

Handballing directly to a teammate under pressure is also an effective stat and a trademark of Sinclair. As is skirting the packs.

He's not up to AFL long term, although he was decent on Sunday.

Sinclair kicks and hopes blindly and this was evident in game one.

He was better Sunday, despite the clearly flawed stats.

I think kicking blindly into a forward line counts as an effective kick, even if the opposition mop it up with ease. Sinclair's trademark is the blind bomb. He is a s**t kick.

Handballing directly to a teammate under pressure is also an effective stat and a trademark of Sinclair. As is skirting the packs.

He's not up to AFL long term, although he was decent on Sunday.
I agree disposal efficiency is a flawed stat. Your own eyes are the best method of assessing how well a player disposes of the ball. For mine Sinclairs is much better than you make out. Has the tools to bea line breaking half back. Is showing an increased awareness of holding onto the ball and picking the right option. Hasn't been the pre season where that was first on show rather the game in Sydney last year just prior to him doing his hamstring. Was impressive that night

I am not certain he will make it in that role but has the tools and is a chance.

I agree disposal efficiency is a flawed stat. Your own eyes are the best method of assessing how well a player disposes of the ball. For mine Sinclairs is much better than you make out. Has the tools to bea line breaking half back. Is showing an increased awareness of holding onto the ball and picking the right option. Hasn't been the pre season where that was first on show rather the game in Sydney last year just prior to him doing his hamstring. Was impressive that night

I am not certain he will make it in that role but has the tools and is a chance.
This thread has gone more wayward than a Taylor Adams short pass, but I'm happy to chime in with some optimism about Sinclair. His disposal hasn't been great, but all reports suggest that it's an area of his game which he has worked hard at. He's also been backed by Buckley quite heavily to this point, for whatever reason, but there are early and tentative signs that it might pay off.

Maybe it isn't a great thing, but out of Sinclair, Seedsman, Varcoe and Marley Williams, Sinclair is the man most likely. I still have hopes for Williams, who seems a poor reflection of his 2013 self, but the others don't seem to have the drive and the intensity to win their own ball in the back half and to push it forward. H had it, Williams delivered it a bit in 2013, but it seems that Sinclair might be the one we need. If that's the case, then there are so many horrible things that I've said about the man that I'll have to take back, but I'll happily do just that.

Fact is, he's no worse than Seedsman in terms of accuracy. He has similar ability to run and carry, probably just lacks the bullet like penetration of Seeds kicks. He will be a surprise packet to many this year if he can stay fit imo.

My hate for Sinclair kicking came from his kicking as a defender, when he was a forward I didn't really notice him at all. I remember going to the GWS game and seeing him get the ball take off and kick to no one about three time. My hate for his kicking was because of his kicking.

In saying that I've been impressed with him this Nab Challenge.

The other thing Sinkers has over Marley is that he's a much better mark. He is strong at the ball overhead and has the courage to go back with the flight. A good small forward will kill Marley because he can't mark over his head. Marley is more of your midfield attack dog.

I used to hate sinclair I now think he is great out of the backline...I think play Oxley and sinkers round 1 we need to do some things different drom last year. ..play karnezis lets take some risks..fas forward. ..kennedy a full game gault full forward. . White on a wing reid forward...keefe back. ..lets do this s**t

I used to hate sinclair I now think he is great out of the backline...I think play Oxley and sinkers round 1 we need to do some things different drom last year. ..play karnezis lets take some risks..fas forward. ..kennedy a full game gault full forward. . White on a wing reid forward...keefe back. ..lets do this s**t
This is a positive statement. ..

The other thing Sinkers has over Marley is that he's a much better mark. He is strong at the ball overhead and has the courage to go back with the flight. A good small forward will kill Marley because he can't mark over his head. Marley is more of your midfield attack dog.
I just don't think Sinclair has the skills. Similar to Caolon Mooney he has the pace and pace is great we've all seen players with great pace but such poor kicking skills, how long can you persist with such crap kicking. Hope he makes it just can't see it and wouldn't select him. Another thing I dislike about him is his small frame. We have too many like him.

I just don't think Sinclair has the skills. Similar to Caolon Mooney he has the pace and pace is great we've all seen players with great pace but such poor kicking skills, how long can you persist with such crap kicking. Hope he makes it just can't see it and wouldn't select him. Another thing I dislike about him is his small frame. We have too many like him.
Who's knocking him out then?

So who do you leave out of the team to bring these guys in?

It's all well and good to give guys opportunity but someone needs to make way for that opportunity and we have a strong squad. Well, it may not actually be strong but it is consistent with a large number of guys pushing that 18 - 25 or more range.

I like our list at the moment. I think it gives us a real good opportunity this season to see who will take the next step towards a premiership window. Some big decisions to be made at the end of the season to balance experience and youth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So who do you leave out of the team to bring these guys in?

It's all well and good to give guys opportunity but someone needs to make way for that opportunity and we have a strong squad. Well, it may not actually be strong but it is consistent with a large number of guys pushing that 18 - 25 or more range.

I like our list at the moment. I think it gives us a real good opportunity this season to see who will take the next step towards a premiership window. Some big decisions to be made at the end of the season to balance experience and youth.

Sinclair V Toovey V Williams will be an interesting selection debate. Could be Toovey's last season

Sinclair V Toovey V Williams will be an interesting selection debate. Could be Toovey's last season
I've been strong supporters of Tooves and Goldsack but the natives are obviously getting restless. Trouble is I think they are both love children of Bucks and considering we have a young squad, they do bring experience.

There's no denying though that you can only ignore form for a certain amount of time until change is required. It's a bit like Buckley tagging Ablett 12 months after he has had 49 disposals and kicked the winning goal, he'll do it, it just might be well after the time it should be.

Oxley has a huge chance to nab a spot for round 1. If Reid is out, Langdon is our only good kick in the backline. Oxley would also be a good loose man. He's read the play quite well in his VfL games with many intercept marks.

Oxley has a huge chance to nab a spot for round 1. If Reid is out, Langdon is our only good kick in the backline. Oxley would also be a good loose man. He's read the play quite well in his VfL games with many intercept marks.

I saw what you did there

Player K H D M HO FF FA T SG G B
13. Taylor Adams
15 17 32 5 0 1 2 4 0 1 1
22. Steele Sidebottom 13 17 30 4 0 0 0 7 0 0 0
10. Scott Pendlebury 11 17 28 2 2 4 0 4 0 1 0
26. Marley Williams 11 16 27 4 0 1 0 0 0 0 0
8. Tom Langdon 15 10 25 3 0 0 1 3 0 0 0
5. Jamie Elliott 10 15 25 5 0 1 2 4 0 0 1
24. Josh Thomas 13 12 25 5 0 1 0 4 0 0 0

43. Adam Oxley 12 9 21 3 0 2 1 2 0 0 0

36. Dane Swan
12 9 21 4 0 0 0 6 0 1 0
11. Jarryd Blair 7 11 18 5 0 0 0 3 0 1 0
31. Jackson Ramsay 5 11 16 3 0 1 3 6 0 0 0
18. Travis Varcoe 8 8 16 4 0 0 1 3 0 1 1
4. Brodie Grundy 6 6 12 1 22 0 0 2 0 0 0
32. Travis Cloke 9 2 11 4 0 0 1 2 0 2 1
34. Alan Toovey 6 4 10 0 0 0 1 4 0 0 0
16. Nathan Brown 4 6 10 3 0 0 1 3 0 0 0
25. Jack Crisp 4 5 9 1 0 0 0 6 0 0 0
19. Levi Greenwood 5 4 9 1 0 1 0 8 0 1 1
9. Jesse White 4 4 8 2 6 1 0 2 0 0 1
1. Alex Fasolo 3 4 7 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
28. Ben Sinclair 6 1 7 0 0 0 1 3 0 0 0
6. Tyson Goldsack 4 2 6 2 0 1 1 3 0 0 0
45. Jack Frost 3 2 5 0 0 0 3 5 0 0 0
44. Corey Gault 2 2 4 0 2 0 0 2 0 0 0
Key
K: Kicks, H: Handballs, D: Disposals, M: Marks, HO: Hitouts, FF: Free Kicks For, FA: Free Kicks Against, T: Tackles, SC: Super Goals G: Goals, B: Behinds.

Round one, In The Ox?? Out Tooves or sinclair????
Nab 3 form
Player
K H D M HO FF FA T SG G B
43. Adam Oxley 12 9 21 3 0 2 1 2 0 0 0
31. Jackson Ramsay
5 11 16 3 0 1 3 6 0 0 0
34. Alan Toovey 6 4 10 0 0 0 1 4 0 0 0
28. Ben Sinclair 6 1 7 0 0 0 1 3 0 0 0
Key
K: Kicks, H: Handballs, D: Disposals, M: Marks, HO: Hitouts, FF: Free Kicks For, FA: Free Kicks Against, T: Tackles, SC: Super Goals G: Goals, B: Behinds.

Is he soft? I have been inclined to like what I have seen of Oxley the interceptor, and unlike just about every other player in the team, he is a decent deliverer of the ball. If I want anyone to make it, Oxley ranks as a favourite contender for an AFL spot. He is cool and clever, though perhaps a little slow from all reports. I hope he plays round 1 and becomes a permanent feature of the team. He and Langdon could give the defence some much needed class and reliability.

Last edited:
My hate for Sinclair kicking came from his kicking as a defender, when he was a forward I didn't really notice him at all. I remember going to the GWS game and seeing him get the ball take off and kick to no one about three time. My hate for his kicking was because of his kicking.

In saying that I've been impressed with him this Nab Challenge.

I hate it because it's sinclair...but I respect your view

Is he soft? I have been inclined to like what I have seen of Oxley the interceptor, and unlike just about every other player in the team, he is a decent deliverer of the ball. If I want anyone to make it, Oxley ranks as a favourite contender for an AFL spot. He is cool and clever, though perhaps a little slow from all reports. I hope he plays round 1 and becomes a permanent feature of the team. He and Langdon could give the defence some much needed class and reliability.

Just another baseless negative and derogatory label some posters seem all to comfortable slagging a kid with 2 senior games to his name with.

I agree with you. Certainly not elite in terms of foot speed but wouldn'y say he was slow and it didn't stop Morwood (who Oxley reminds me of) being a player.

Just another baseless negative and derogatory label some posters seem all to comfortable slagging a kid with 2 senior games to his name with.

I agree with you. Foot speed my only concern but it didn't stop Morwood (who Oxley reminds me of) being a player.
Shane Morwood was one of my favourite ever Collingwood players. He may not have been fast, but he was certainly elusive.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back