Adam Simpson new WCE coach (now to end of 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm really surprised that anyone is having a crack at Simpson.

The list is not very good and the good players aren't on the park really.

Obviously there were a couple of selections this week that were ordinary, but I really wouldn't be worried yet.

The good players aren't on the park?
We have our first choice midfielders on the park.
We have lost two key defenders out and a couple others like Ellis and darling.
Our midfield got slaughtered not our forwards or defenders.
We have our brownlow medalist in priddis and first choice rucks fit and firing.
So what is the excuse again?
Any other team with the injuries we have and their first choice mids in wouldn't have an issue.
Freo made a gf with defenders out.
The club is in a bad place and Simpsons selections aren't helping.

Simpson is right - it is mostly intent that is lacking. I think you guys don't give him enough credit, or are being reactionary to a young and injury affected list.

Freo's Best on Ground was a baby-faced 176cm midfielder (Neale) - even Masten is bigger than that, but he plays as if he is half the size.

If you listen to Gaff's interview on the WCE site, he talks about Freo's big bodied midfield - and lists Stephen Hill as one of the 'big guys'. Hill is 1cm taller than Gaff, and shorter than most of our midfield! It seems like a defeatist attitude to me, or that the mental battle is lost before they even played.

What sets Yeo apart from our other mids is that he actually looks hungry for the ball, and hungry to compete; it isn't just his size, it's his attitude and willingness to give 100% effort and attack.

We don't need taller mids - though a bit of strength training wouldn't hurt to bulk up - we need some players that don't just go through the motions every week and play with a bit of heart and passion. I hope Simmo is the one that can help foster that competitive instinct while the team is still young.

With that in mind, I totally understand why McGinnity gets a game. He is a spud skill-wise, but at least he gives it his all. Of course I would prefer he was out of the team, but to me its at least clear as to why he is there for now and I won't hold it against Simpson.
So most of our midfielders mysteriously couldn't be ****ed on the weekend? You seriously think that professional sportsmen go out without intent?
Couldn't it have anything to do with the midfielders just not being good enough?

So most of our midfielders mysteriously couldn't be stuffed on the weekend? You seriously think that professional sportsmen go out without intent?
Couldn't it have anything to do with the midfielders just not being good enough?

Even when I am saying our mids are s**t, it isn't enough. What do you want?

EDIT: Seriously, its like some of you guys don't even read the posts you are quoting. You just want an excuse to vent your frustrations and see what you want to see. If you are going to quote me, read what I wrote before replying.

Last edited:
Selwood would be a first choice mid when fit.

Bit hard to criticise Simpson for the current crop of mids being rubbish, he's attempted to address it through the draft the last two years, particularly last year.
Not criticizing him for the current senior mids we have.
Just the selections and clearly the team performance he is responsible for.
Not really hard to understand.
And you really bring up selwood? He is going to make a difference to our mids performances?
I think not.

And you really bring up selwood? He is going to make a difference to our mids performances?
I think not.

No, just pointing out he's a first choice mid that's missing.

There's only so much he can do with the midfield at selection time. Sheed's become a regular member this year, Duggan's spent some time there. Dropping senior guys for Colledge and Waterman is about it. Waterman's probably not ready in any event.

I think not.
He's going to make a difference to our turnover rate... upwards

No, just pointing out he's a first choice mid that's missing.

There's only so much he can do with the midfield at selection time. Sheed's become a regular member this year, Duggan's spent some time there. Dropping senior guys for Colledge and Waterman is about it. Waterman's probably not ready in any event.

Oh. Sorry yeah. He can't play yeo or lecras there more can he. Yeo is needed down back because the current midfield can't win the midfield battle and lecras is needed forward cause we get lots of the ball down there.
Makes sense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh. Sorry yeah. He can't play yeo or lecras there more can he. Yeo is needed down back because the current midfield can't win the midfield battle and lecras is needed forward cause we get lots of the ball down there.
Makes sense.

Both were in there at times on the weekend

I think it's clear Simpson is more switched on about where we are at than he lets on to the media. What kind of dufus would open up to the media and say "yeah we are crap, just 19 rounds before I can continue trying to fix this mess".

It's not as if we haven't been proactive in trying to improve our midfield for several years now.
Malthouse did that last week ;)

The good players aren't on the park?
We have our first choice midfielders on the park.
We have lost two key defenders out and a couple others like Ellis and darling.
Our midfield got slaughtered not our forwards or defenders.
We have our brownlow medalist in priddis and first choice rucks fit and firing.
So what is the excuse again?
Any other team with the injuries we have and their first choice mids in wouldn't have an issue.
Freo made a gf with defenders out.
The club is in a bad place and Simpsons selections aren't helping.

I said the list isn't very good first. As in the list sucks and the structurally significant players, such as Darling and Emac, are out.

So the first problem there is the list is not good. That includes the mids.

Our list sucks --> not the coaches fault (when he has only had one trade period)

Please outline who that is currently on our list would have made a notable difference to the performance against Freo?

Selwood would be a first choice mid when fit.

Bit hard to criticise Simpson for the current crop of mids being rubbish, he's attempted to address it through the draft the last two years, particularly last year.

I disagree completely. Selwood is part of the problem. He's one of these guys that has an over inflated reputation for doing sweet * all but looking tough. His disposal is s**t, he panics under pressure ala all our older mids, and his only claim to fame is one season where he went ok as a tagger. If he has any trade value he should be sent packing for someone with actual footskills along with the desire and workrate to use them properly.

Something Simpson said that really s**t me after the Freo debacle was about Yeo ie he'd be playing in the midfield but with our backline injuries he's needed down back. I'm sorry but whatsort of backward thinking bullshit is that? For the love of god, if Simpson thinks Yeos a midfielder play him there ignore the backline. Priority is to fix the mutha effing midfield and we have only a couple of seasons to do so or we'll lose our spine and be toast for a decade....

Last edited:
What's the upcoming draft like? We were lucky that the year they decided to do the massive cull was 2008.

Hill, Suban, Ballantyne, Zac Clarke, Walters, De Boer, Clancee Pearce all from the one draft.

If there's something similar a purge could be the way to go

To be fair, in other teams, players like DeBoer, Suban, & Pearce would be nowhere near as effective. They benefit from being surrounded by much better players. Much Like Braun & Fletcher of our glory days.

What's the upcoming draft like? We were lucky that the year they decided to do the massive cull was 2008.

Hill, Suban, Ballantyne, Zac Clarke, Walters, De Boer, Clancee Pearce all from the one draft.

If there's something similar a purge could be the way to go

The draft is somewhat of a lottery, not all of those players were ever destined guns or plodders
What that says to me is what is; equally or more important than good drafting is player development, which WC is not really doing to well at of the last 7ish years

I disagree completely. Selwood is part of the problem. He's one of these guys that has an over inflated reputation for doing sweet **** all but looking tough. His disposal is s**t, he panics under pressure ala all our older mids, and his only claim to fame is one season where he went ok as a tagger. If he has any trade value he should be sent packing for someone with actual footskills along with the desire and workrate to use them properly.
I don't think he is saying that selwood is particularly good mate, just that right or wrong, he has been one of the first chosen in our midfield. But I could be wrong.

Last edited:
To be fair, in other teams, players like DeBoer, Suban, & Pearce would be nowhere near as effective. They benefit from being surrounded by much better players. Much Like Braun & Fletcher of our glory days.

Could add that these players are still best 18-22 in the team as well. I'm sure some of our current starting 22 would look much better in supporting roles too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back