Adam Simpson new WCE coach (now to end of 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't think he is saying that selwood is particularly good mate, just that right or wrong, he has been one of the first chosen in our midfield. But I could be wrong.

Fair enough, I just feel that he shouldn't be first chosen as he lacks most of the things we need in a first chosen mid, like half our squad. ;)

I said the list isn't very good first. As in the list sucks and the structurally significant players, such as Darling and Emac, are out.

So the first problem there is the list is not good. That includes the mids.

Our list sucks --> not the coaches fault (when he has only had one trade period)

Please outline who that is currently on our list would have made a notable difference to the performance against Freo?

Nobody really. Unless the midfield of Duggan, Yeo, Sheed, Lecras and Shuey would compete and match it with Freo's right now. I doubt it but it wouldn't bother me right now.
What it would be is a step in the redevelopment stage of our team. We get a look at how they would perform without the usual suspects that have underperformed for 7 years and we start the future of our midfield.

Nobody really. Unless the midfield of Duggan, Yeo, Sheed, Lecras and Shuey would compete and match it with Freo's right now. I doubt it but it wouldn't bother me right now.
What it would be is a step in the redevelopment stage of our team. We get a look at how they would perform without the usual suspects that have underperformed for 7 years and we start the future of our midfield.
If you look you will see that we have already started that. Sheed, Duggan and Nelson.

If you look you will see that we have already started that. Sheed, Duggan and Nelson.
Hmmm I looked. And I found that Duggan played for 20 minutes roughly replacing the injured McGovern who is a defender. Nelson is a defender. And we still had Priddis, Rosa and Masten in there.

So yeah nah!!!

Hmmm I looked. And I found that Duggan played for 20 minutes roughly replacing the injured McGovern who is a defender. Nelson is a defender. And we still had Priddis, Rosa and Masten in there.

So yeah nah!!!

Duggan replaced McGovern who is a defender ... but came on and played in the midfield. For more than a quarter, not "roughly 20 mins"

Duggan replaced McGovern who is a defender ... but came on and played in the midfield. For more than a quarter, not "roughly 20 mins"
Yeah....read my post again. I am talking about wholesale changes which was the context of the original discussion about our midfield being poor.
One rookie playing as a sub does not constitute wholesale changes no matter how much you spin it and how much he subs on in the third or second quarter.

We still have the same under performing mids as our backbone.

Yeo was also starting in the middle a fair bit until McGovern was subbed.
The club is definitely working on the midfield depth. Even Jason Cripps has been rotating through there the last few games ;)
Yeah and Yeo as well. Others have noted how when they do we actually win clearances and perform better than the same tired shoes.
Be good for this to happen permanently with Yeo, Sheed, Shuey, Duggan, Cripps, Gaff and Waterman eventually, even Darling on occasions and even play Natanui for a burst up in as a midfielder not a ruckman.
The point I am making is that our poor midfield is the reason for our losses, not our forwards and defenders losing personnel to injury. Selwood is the only one we have lost to injury from our midfield if you don't include Lamb yet we still lose games and was pantskyled by Freo until they took their foot off the pedal.
We play the same tired worn out Rosa, Priddis, Masten in there and it is stale as s**t and they don't perform against the better sides to the point where we can win games.
This is a coaching decision albeit he may be hamstrung by the hierarchy. But at the end of the day if he doesn't change it he will lose his job, it really is that simple because those midfielders are going to cost him his job as well as Worsfolds.

Simpson is going pretty well and the season is young - making changes and the most recent draft looks above good = very good , Don Pyke .. could be next in line should all go terribly bad .

No Suma thanks after he went downtown !

So most of our midfielders mysteriously couldn't be stuffed on the weekend? You seriously think that professional sportsmen go out without intent?
Couldn't it have anything to do with the midfielders just not being good enough?
I feel like this is actually the case. There is effort but not 101% all of the time

If Simpson drops duggan and nelson I'll be livid. Basically blaming the loss to freo on them despite our mainstays doing jack s**t.

More poor decisions by our new coach.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If Simpson drops duggan and nelson I'll be livid. Basically blaming the loss to freo on them despite our mainstays doing jack s**t.

More like resting the two youngsters in their first season , the new draftees do a restricted pre season plus playing at Brisbane is the longest trip in the AFL .

More like resting the two youngsters in their first season , the new draftees do a restricted pre season plus playing at Brisbane is the longest trip in the AFL .
Keep telling yourself that. It will become true after a while.

Yeo was also starting in the middle a fair bit until McGovern was subbed.
The club is definitely working on the midfield depth. Even Jason Cripps has been rotating through there the last few games ;)

Cripps is a great mid option and I think he should be played there, put Hill up forward and * Mcginnity out of the team. Hill chases hard these days and he can actually do something with the footy when he has it.

Seems to me that Simmo rarely ever drops players because of form, other than Wellingham and Bennell. Even Woosha would've dropped more players when he was the coach, although at times he brings them back in too quickly despite showing little improvement.

So it turns out he's blamed the loss to Freo on McGinnity :D

lol he was a contributor

And in the presser he was saying that he was still strongly considering giving Duggan a full game.

Would like to see Masten sub and Duggan play 4 quarters, would be hard to fault the changes then. I would have been happy to see Colledge in for Masten but he probably isn't really ahead of Rosa or Gaff. Bennell on a wing would be interesting but I think he hurt his chances of a recall badly two weeks ago against Carlton - he'll likely take Butler's place by end of year but it seems like the MC doesn't feel like rushing that transition will be helpful.

Well.

Melbourne have done what we haven't been able to do since 2012. Beat a top 8 side.

Bit of an embarrassment most would be of the opinion that our list is better than theirs. I know we "could" finish above them on the ladder but it is a real blight on our side right now.

Many on this board have noted that they are a basket case playing a lot of kids. Well they don't look too much like a basket with a case in it.

It takes the right coach and the ability to do what's needed at the club with the hierarchy out of the way. Roos looks like he has that.

Does Simpson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back