Adam Simpson new WCE coach (now to end of 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Simmo has been immense for our club ... how he has galvinised the defence is right spot on, with Shep, Wellingham and Butler playing great back there, especially Shep - he is becoming quite the player.
Their is belief in the team, and a willingness to leave nothing behind.
Full kudos to Simmo.
With the McGovernor General leading the way.

Last weekend was a massive tick at Simpsons tactical ability.
This week I feel will be a test of his motivational ability.

GC are a rabble and we should dispose of them by about 10 goals given how we fair against bottom sides.
But with such a big win and riding high from last week, he really needs to get the boys focused and switched on, not becoming complacent - yes a lot of this stems from the players, but in my view it's also a big part of coaching.

Let's hope there is no lapse in our performance and we are switched on from the get go tomorrow night.

Lets hope the belief to be a good side that can match the best teams means they have too show up every week also its a good chance to consolidate 2nd position on the ladder .

I feel like Simpson should be congratulated on the improvement of Wellingham, Hill and Yeo. All 3 are looking very impressive. The improvement of Masten is is also looking great.

Also less of a reliance on Priddis is very noticeable. Backing Schoefield in for the KPD role and not falling for the bring in another tall just so we can match other teams in height also has to be commended. We could have easily played Sinclair as a CHB and bought in Lycett as the 2nd ruck. Love Simpson backing our players in

Simpson has impressed me immensely this year. Would not be against signing him for an additional 2 or 3 mid year

I feel like Simpson should be congratulated on the improvement of Wellingham, Hill and Yeo. All 3 are looking very impressive. The improvement of Masten is is also looking great.

Also less of a reliance on Priddis is very noticeable

Simpson's has impressed me immensely this year. Would not be against signing him for an additional 2 or 3 mid year
Agree with the points made but he's still less than halfway through his tenure. No need to even contemplate a contract extension yet

Agree with the points made but he's still less than halfway through his tenure. No need to even contemplate a contract extension yet
I did say mid year, I wouldnt be against it at all. If we did look like making top 6 or even finals I'd love for us to get on the front foot and show some.confidence in Simpson. For too long we have been a club that waits for things to happen.

I did say mid year, I wouldnt be against it at all. If we did look like making top 6 or even finals I'd love for us to get on the front foot and show some.confidence in Simpson. For too long we have been a club that waits for things to happen.
When does his contract run out?

Simpson has turned over our list and turned around are chances in only 18 months.
He has reinvented guys like Hutchings, Hill, Butler, Cripps, Sheppard who were all fringe 22 and made them into footballers who do the extra things, play to their strenghts and wouldn't look out of place in most teams 22's.
Changing the game plan to work Schofield as our only lockdown defender when he was always a more running half back is a bloody achievement in itself.

His young coaching team and himself have really got a whole team defence happening.
Players working for eachother, coming off their man to help out, putting their body on the line (Duggan on Monfirres and the new Masten) is beautiful to watch.

The scoring is the biggest change for me. We have the second highest points for only behind the Hawks and we're doing it easily. Possesions and inside 50's to scoring shots and scores off turnovers are way up.

Amazing change since round 3 against the purples where we got smashed in the middle early.
I'll admit I vented on the Rot in the middle thread but I'm more than happy for Simpson to go with something only to have it implode if he turns around and makes changes to fix it.

Since that game Yeo to the middle, playing Priddis more loose between the centre square and the F50, Sheed right amongst it, Duggan full games, Cripps and Lecras helping out, plus all of this has freed up Shuey abit.
Backing Sinclair against hardened rucks since Lycett went to water.
Pissing Wellingham off to the back line has worked wonders, looked lost in the midfield.
Getting Masten to show some heart and want for the footy.
Backing guys like Nelson and McInnes.

List goes on. Many hearts to Simpson and the coaching team.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't want to scare anyone but, the almighty squiggle has West Coast losing the prelim to Fremantle by a point, and Footyforcaster.com has us beating Freo by a point, only to lose the Grand Final to Hawthorn by 14 points.

IF anything even close to this happens, I wouldn't be against a 3-4 year contract extension and my firstborn. I assume you would commit the same. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I don't want to scare anyone but, the almighty squiggle has West Coast losing the prelim to Fremantle by a point, and Footyforcaster.com has us beating Freo by a point, only to lose the Grand Final to Hawthorn by 14 points.

IF anything even close to this happens, I wouldn't be against a 3-4 year contract extension and my firstborn. I assume you would commit the same. :thumbsu::thumbsu:
I'll commit something if we lose to Fremantle by a point in a prelim.

* dat if we make a prelim this year 4 year extension on 700k a year tyvm

That article points to a lot of attributes that could have equally been applied to John Worsfold. IMHO, there are a lot of similarities between the two of them. Both low key, no-nonense, straight shooters, with a focus on getting the basics right.

The big difference seems to be that Simpson is smarter tactically... at least, on game day. Or he's managed to surround himself with some smart assistants (and he's taking their advice). Either way, the results are starting to look good.

That article points to a lot of attributes that could have equally been applied to John Worsfold. IMHO, there are a lot of similarities between the two of them. Both low key, no-nonense, straight shooters, with a focus on getting the basics right.

The big difference seems to be that Simpson is smarter tactically... at least, on game day. Or he's managed to surround himself with some smart assistants (and he's taking their advice). Either way, the results are starting to look good.
Sometimes a new coach can look at things with fresh eyes, doesn't have any of the burden over players that they've chosen or molded for certain positions that aren't working out, so they don't lose face by scrapping plans and redrawing them.

It's funny you say that because we didn't go out and hire any big name assistant coaches with Simpson and I remember people being a little annoyed that and then being annoyed at not hiring an experienced assistant this off season.

One thing he's definitely better at is communication of what is happening to the fans.

He has the coaching smarts. Showed it at North when as captain he was injured and was invited to the coaching box. Wowed them with his analysis, insights and tactical responses.

IMO we have the best young coach going round and I have no drama in committing to him. Let him build something at WCE - give him another 5 years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back