Adam Simpson new WCE coach (now to end of 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

An element of let's chill is required, some massive challenges ahead to prove our bona fides:
- Hawthorn, Sydney, North, Geelong
- Actually beating Collingwood away (FFS!)
- Being challenged hard in the 4th quarter and steeling ourselves for a win (ESS/CAR last year, oh the pain)
- Reinforcing the home ground advantage (particularly against teams like RICH who have managed to pinch a few over the past few years)

That article points to a lot of attributes that could have equally been applied to John Worsfold. IMHO, there are a lot of similarities between the two of them. Both low key, no-nonense, straight shooters, with a focus on getting the basics right.

The big difference seems to be that Simpson is smarter tactically... at least, on game day. Or he's managed to surround himself with some smart assistants (and he's taking their advice). Either way, the results are starting to look good.

That and communication I reckon is a key difference between him and Woosh.

Port, round 6.
Port, Round 7.

He's right - we are setting ourselves up for pain with all these super optimistic threads.

Simmo is doing a good job but we have only just started the journey

Round 9 and 10 will be telling.

2/2 - Simpson is King
1/2 - we're building
0/2 - OMG sack him! FTB melts etc etc

Don't see it that way. I believe we are rebuilding a deficient midfield, learning to win with a stand-in back line and that Simpson (win lose or draw those 2) should be given a longer term mandate. The age of the guys we are playing, you must expect inconsistencies and occasional shockers.

We cannot be short sighted and get ahead of ourselves. Securing a coach that has the pedigree of Simpson - that is just good business.

Don't see it that way. I believe we are rebuilding a deficient midfield, learning to win with a stand-in back line and that Simpson (win lose or draw those 2) should be given a longer term mandate. The age of the guys we are playing, you must expect inconsistencies and occasional shockers.

We cannot be short sighted and get ahead of ourselves. Securing a coach that has the pedigree of Simpson - that is just good business.

54238818.jpg

Port's game last week showed they're in rubbish form - we can't get too excited over that one non-FTB game against Port. Our only other test this year was against Freo and we failed with flying colours.

Just think we need to temper expectations because the 'sack Simmo' threads can come back at any time

Port's game last week showed they're in rubbish form - we can't get too excited over that one non-FTB game against Port. Our only other test this year was against Freo and we failed with flying colours.

Just think we need to temper expectations because the 'sack Simmo' threads can come back at any time

I don't think it was about the quality of the team, but about the 4th quarter challenge (see Carlton last year).

Port have been poor since half way through last year. Its just when they click they can trouble teams like they did against Freo in the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port, Round 7.

He's right - we are setting ourselves up for pain with all these super optimistic threads.

Simmo is doing a good job but we have only just started the journey
I'd say most of us are a little surprised sitting 2nd, regardless of the opposition, and there's a general theme of being cautiously optimistic. Even if we lose a couple, considering how clogged the ladder is right now we could be right up there with 7 more wins for the rest of the year.

Port still threw the kitchen sink at us in the 4th quarter and we outran them, on their own packed-out dungheap no less. That's still a valuable win, they played a lot worse against Brissie.

One thing I really love that Simpson has done is moved Wellingham into the backline full time.

He was never a high production player, but is hard at it, strong overhead and can run and carry.

Perfect choice for our backline after Waters went down, and is becoming super reliable down back.

Wasn't the answer to our midfield woes, but is definitely helping the side.

One thing I really love that Simpson has done is moved Wellingham into the backline full time.

He was never a high production player, but is hard at it, strong overhead and can run and carry.

Perfect choice for our backline after Waters went down, and is becoming super reliable down back.

Wasn't the answer to our midfield woes, but is definitely helping the side.

Compare him running out of the backline to Adam Selwood and you'll see why we are a better team now.

He didn't single out the Yeo move into the midfield, which has been a big a catalyst as any IMO. Frees up Shuey as well.
The big thing is this year we are running more players behind the ball than at any time in our history.

This enables our defenders to penetrate the zone and run free. Schofield, Wellingham, Hurn, Sheppherd and Butler all in on the act.

At center bounce downs we structure up with a seven man defence on most occasions and this just adds to the run especially with a winning ruck.

This has resulted in faster and more precise ball movement through the corridor. There is no doubt that we look way faster this season but it is speed of ball movement rather than leg speed that has made the difference.

The big thing is this year we are running more players behind the ball than at any time in our history.

This enables our defenders to penetrate the zone and run free. Schofield, Wellingham, Hurn, Sheppherd and Butler all in on the act.

At center bounce downs we structure up with a seven man defence on most occasions and this just adds to the run especially with a winning ruck.

This has resulted in faster and more precise ball movement through the corridor. There is no doubt that we look way faster this season but it is speed of ball movement rather than leg speed that has made the difference.

When I looked at Matt Priddis so far this year, it looks like Simpson has developed a plan to play to his strengths. I there is a separate post on Matt so will be brief.

His stats have changed - he is up 30% on handpasses and down 26% kicks on 2014. Another way of viewing, he is kicking just 29% of the time versus last year at 42%. There is enough on the board about his accuracy of kicking and how he slows us down when kicking.

Matt's handpasses are accurate and fast. I think this is making the whole team look faster (in addition to the back formation).

upload_2015-5-26_8-58-4.png

Attachments

• upload_2015-5-26_8-55-48.png
    upload_2015-5-26_8-55-48.png
    4.2 KB · Views: 2
When I looked at Matt Priddis so far this year, it looks like Simpson has developed a plan to play to his strengths. I there is a separate post on Matt so will be brief.

His stats have changed - he is up 30% on handpasses and down 26% kicks on 2014. Another way of viewing, he is kicking just 29% of the time versus last year at 42%. There is enough on the board about his accuracy of kicking and how he slows us down when kicking.

Matt's handpasses are accurate and fast. I think this is making the whole team look faster (in addition to the back formation).

View attachment 137883

I posted this weeks ago in his own thread. Has not kicked such a low % of disposals since 2010 or something.. Youd have to trawl back a fair way to find the post, though.

I posted this weeks ago in his own thread. Has not kicked such a low % of disposals since 2010 or something.. Youd have to trawl back a fair way to find the post, though.
I am thinking there is something from Dean Cox starting to get the Simpson plan. Priddis has been the best at reading the tap from NicNat so no coincidence that our clearances are way up.
Looks like good coaching as a team.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back