n668067098_286241_4689.jpg

Height: 183

Weight: 84

Date of Birth: 21st August 1986

Nickname: Thomo

Contract Details: Traded to Richmond at the end of 2008

Position: Midfielder

SANFL Club: Sturt

Recruited From: Sturt (Pick 11 in 2004 National Draft)

Career Games: 28 (15 wins, 13 losses)

Career Goals: 16

For more career stats click here.

More info on Adam Thomson

Adam Thomson was taken as a promising young midfielder at Pick 11 in the 2004 AFL National Draft. He played just two senior games in the 2005 AFL Season, spending most of his time in his first two years at Port Adelaide playing for his SANFL club Sturt.

Adam attended the Adelaide private school, Prince Alfred College.

2006 Season
In 2006, Thomson played the first three games of the season, but was dropped after the team's listless performance against Fremantle in Round 3, although he did manage his first AFL goal during this match. After stand-out performances for Sturt, brought on as well by the injuries to senior midfielders and a need to get AFL experience into its young players, Port Adelaide finally selected Thomson in its team against then bottom-side Essendon in Round 9. Thomson and many other Port Adelaide youngsters showed their potential in this game. His impressive form in the following Rounds of 2006 were halted when he suffered a groin injury against the Kangaroos in Round 18, effectively ending his season.

Thomson would be hoping to secure a consistent spot in the Port Adelaide line-up soon, and so would the club, as he was a fairly high draft pick at 11, something which Port Adelaide have lacked access to in recent years. Recent performances would suggest he is on the way to becoming a regular, and Port Adelaide's current youth policy would help his case further.

At the end of 2008 he was traded to Richmond due to limited opportunities.

Re: #6 Adam Thomson

From AFL Prospectus 2008:

'Thomson has showed signs he can make it as an inside midfielder at the highest level despite playing only 21 games in his three seasons and struggling for game time. He made six appearances at AFL level in 2007, ranking third at the Power in disposals per minute as he won the ball more than 15 times in each of those games. Despite an average of just 71 minutes game time he averaged 5 clearances per game, giving him the best rate of any player in 2007 at winning clearances given how much time he spent on the field. While his kicking was again in the poor category, as an inside player he fed out more than twice as many handballs as kicks and also averaged three tackles per game.'

PLAY HIM.

Heard Russell Ebert say that Adam has been injured during the pre season and has been on a modified rehab program. Probably explains why he has been in and out of the side in the preseason and it may continue during the season. Got the impression from Ebert that the club rates him but he gets injured at the wrong time, ie when he's ready to be picked or when he's played well and can't string 10 to 15 games back to back.

Here's some pics of Thommo from twelve months ago. I'm waiting impatiently for the day when things click for him and he delivers on his promise. Carn Thommo. :thumbsu:

n668067098_491672_1619.jpg

n668067098_491673_1954.jpg

n668067098_491674_2684.jpg

So hope that he gets a game this weekend - he has worked hard, played well in the SANFL and is the best replacement for the injured Thomas

May seem dumb, but why do people round here call him Thomilf?

Noticed a few things about Thomson in regards to his centre square work. He can be sucked in going for the ball which leaves him vulnerable if the ruckmen tap it over his head eg watch the Hawthorn game where Sewell (i think) was standing behind Thomson & as Thomson moved in waiting for our ruckman to palm it down to him. Instead the Hawthorn ruckmen knocked the ball a few metres in the clear or it was hand-balled into the space & the end result was a few easy goals.

Now Adam could learn a few things from Wilbur in regards as where to position himself at centre ball ups - watch the Freo game & you'll see what i'm talking about. Adam's foot skills have improved quite a bit since last year but i feel that the coaching panel want him to improve or work harder on the defensive aspect of his game which i find extremely ironic especially if you look at some of our other big name players lack of manning up at times.

I've noticed that a lot of Port fans rate this boy...as do I.

Does anyone think he will still be there next year? I know I wouldn't mind another hard in and under mid floating around for us.

What would he be worth to you in draft picks?

Why wouldn't he be here next year? Williams took 4 years to give Toby a game and still hangs onto him. Maybe Choco is going to do the same with Thomo. Ignore him for 4 years (it's his 4th year), then make him his love child.

Why wouldn't he be here next year?

A mindboggling lack of opportunities despite very good SANFL form and an actual AFL record (not theoretical) that says that 1) if he was actually selected and 2) got more than 60% time on ground on the rare occasions he is in the team, he'd be well on the way to becoming an elite inside midfielder, perhaps?

I'm not having a go or purposely being sarcastic, REH, but jesus, what more does the kid have to do?

Wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if both he and Nick Lower pushed for trades at the end of the year.

If they can't break into a current Power side which is losing unlosable games, being accused of mental and physical softness and repeatedly features inconsistent and misfiring blokes who've scarcely earned their spots, why on Earth would they stay?

Unlike a Josh Mahoney, Toby Thurstans or David Rodan who would just about play for nothing out of sheer gratitude for being given the unlikeliest of chances, these boys owe us nothing and deserve the opportunities elsewhere that they can't get here.

Surely must get a game this week (round 5). Has been absolutely tearing up the SANFL. The time has come for thomilf.

Surely must get a game this week (round 12). Has been absolutely tearing up the SANFL. The time has come for thomilf (again).

Given our sheer lack of inside players, thommo really needs to be given solid game time in the guts.

As for why he is called thomilf...well, i don't know, but i wouldn't want him near my mum :p

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm not having a go or purposely being sarcastic, REH, but jesus, what more does the kid have to do?

No worries DT, I was being sarcastic in my response above. It would be interesting to know what Williams has told Thomilf and whether he accepts his situation or is giving up on him getting a decent go.

I know the team is different and it's long time down the track but why did we wait so long before we gave Toby and Morgan a crack? What did we say to keep them from getting frustrated and wanting to go somewhere else?

I hope Thomilf gets back in this week and doesn't get injured and gets plenty of time on the ball and plays 10 straight games so that we can all have a good look at him. s**t Geelong have so many gun midfielders, he has to get picked to try to shut one down, let alone trying to win the ball himself.

He's coaching Yankalilla in GSFL in season 2014, so will be interesting to see how he goes.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back