Traded Adam Treloar [traded w/ #28 to Collingwood for #7, #65, 2016 first rounder]

Remove this Banner Ad

I have it on very good authority that Adam Treloar is meeting with Collingwood on Monday to say thanks but no thanks as he has agreed to terms with GWS for a further three years. Heavily back ended contract. 3 years 2 million.

Great signs up there at the moment with Shiel signing on also
Well some other posters have it on very good authority that shiel, treloar, WHE, Cameron etc were theirs. Will believe it when it happens

I have it on very good authority that Adam Treloar is meeting with Collingwood on Monday to say thanks but no thanks as he has agreed to terms with GWS for a further three years. Heavily back ended contract. 3 years 2 million.

Great signs up there at the moment with Shiel signing on also
Anything on Coniglio?

ultimately, i think some will go home, but just when.

If i was GWS, I would sell it like this, "Sign for two more years, see how will go and you might win a few premierships". Then they would be like, lets see stay at GWS, jag a few cups, and then i can then CHOOSE my club when im a FA...

Can smarter people than me tell me what gws will need to get back via trade to be able to take both of their academy kids???

And if trelaor and coniglio both re-sign as expected, which contracted players do we think they'd off-load to get their hands on enough picks to keep their academy boys???

They can go into deficit in 2016 anyway, but honestly it is way too early. Everyone is just having a dartboard shot. Hopper is the biggest name for GWS and Kennedy who has had a wonderful championships. They will need their first round plus an early 2nd minimum. Could perhaps trade to get that early 2nd rounder.

Keeping the likes of Treloar and Shiel is more important than signining the academy boys surely.
Absolutely. Of course. No one would argue that.

Just wondering whether they'll need to off-load some contracted guys to gather enough picks to take the academy boys.

Absolutely. Of course. No one would argue that.

Just wondering whether they'll need to off-load some contracted guys to gather enough picks to take the academy boys.

They won't have to, but they may choose to. Even in a scenario where the #4 and then #5 picks are bid on Hopper and Kennedy and they only have their own picks from pick #18 on down for the next two years (assuming they won the premiership this year and next), they'll just sacrifice all of this years' first four rounds and next year's first three rounds and be fine without trading. That's unlikely to be a particularly great scenario for them to be in, but it's also incredibly unlikely as not winning the premiership and either or both players not getting bid on so early will greatly drive down the number of picks required to pick them up. It'd need picks #2 and #3 to be bid on two academy (or father/son) players before even the double premiership winning team has their hand forced. No idea what, if any, plans have been put in place by the AFL for this situation but reading their recent FAQ it sounds like the team would be excluded from nominating players the following year until they've paid off all their debt.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keeping the likes of Treloar and Shiel is more important than signining the academy boys surely.

Surely not. They need home grown heroes or nobody will support them. Giants fans need kids from NSW or the club will fall over. Why would they spend all this money on an academy and then overlook them for vic metro kids. The academy is the lifeblood and savior of these northern state clubs, they must take every good player they can or these kids will flock back to rugby league. If they dont take Hopper I am guessing he will play for the sydney roosters next year and walk away from the AFL.

Missing out on Buddy was a blessing in disguise for GWS, now have the cash to re-sign all their important young guns.

They do have COLA, but GWS are an extremely well run club. Their crowds will grow over time, that isn't an issue really.

They have actually lost more valuable young players than Gold Coast to rival clubs, in case anyone is sooking GWS got too many draft concessions

Surely not. They need home grown heroes or nobody will support them. Giants fans need kids from NSW or the club will fall over. Why would they spend all this money on an academy and then overlook them for vic metro kids. The academy is the lifeblood and savior of these northern state clubs, they must take every good player they can or these kids will flock back to rugby league. If they dont take Hopper I am guessing he will play for the sydney roosters next year and walk away from the AFL.

Not sure if it's tongue in cheek given the last line, but other than that it's largely true. The likes of Treloar and Shiel will get people through the doors now. The likes of Barrett, Steele, Hopper and Kennedy will be the ones into the future.

Missing out on Buddy was a blessing in disguise for GWS, now have the cash to re-sign all their important young guns.

They do have COLA, but GWS are an extremely well run club. Their crowds will grow over time, that isn't an issue really.

They have actually lost more valuable young players than Gold Coast to rival clubs, in case anyone is sooking GWS got too many draft concessions
We've lost a pick 1: Boyd, a pick 2: O'Rourke, a pick 3: Tyson and a pick 13: Jaksch/Adams.
There's 5 first rounders gone.

Also long term injuries to a pick 1: Patton, pick 5: Buntine, pick 7: Haynes, pick 10: sumner.
This has impacted their ability to display the fact they were first rounders.

We've lost a pick 1: Boyd, a pick 2: O'Rourke, a pick 3: Tyson and a pick 13: Jaksch/Adams.
There's 5 first rounders gone.

Also long term injuries to a pick 1: Patton, pick 5: Buntine, pick 7: Haynes, pick 10: sumner.
This has impacted their ability to display the fact they were first rounders.
So that's little to no impact from 10 first rounders and you're still looking like a force. If anything that's proof the concessions were excessive.

Must say though, the types of players recruited and the culture of the place seems well ahead of where GC are at.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back