CLUBMEDhurst

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 23, 2008
Under the moonlight, the serious moonlight
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Man City
On the subject of SA beers, West End has to be one of the worst I've ever tasted... and we have some pretty bad ones here in WA.

Actually nearly all low-end Aussie beer is embarrassingly bad. The Europeans don't know how good they've got it if they consider Stella a wife bashing beer.

Absolute pig swill. Southwarks is another putrid drop from Marmelaide

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
I feel like punching anyone who trots out the "20-minute city" line when daily I have 2 x 25km, 50-minute drives to work and back. Clearly people who say that either haven't been to Adelaide in 20+ years or live in the inner East and never travel farther than the CBD.

Jan 31, 2010
Busan
AFL Club
Adelaide
Deserves it's place in the top 10 :thumbsu:

Not sure why anyone from Melbourne or Sydney feel like they need to give Adelaide their tick of approval for it to be classified as relevant. This "my city is bigger than yours therefore I am superior" attitude is hilarious. Don't give a crap what you think, Adelaide IS a fantastic place to live and visit for a variety of reasons (lols home of da srial killaz!!1) but only now are people taking note and realising it. It's only going to get better as well :thumbsu:

Lyttelton Ranger

Squadron Leader
Mar 10, 2008
The Lord's Pyjamas
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR
The hills above Adelaide are a great place to live. There are some good winery districts too which are close to the city.

The big problem with Adelaide though, and SA in general, is that we are going broke just like NSW. This state needs a huge injection of cash otherwise services and infrastructure are going to continue to stagnate. As an example, the roads are in pretty poor condition overall. We rely too heavily on the fortunes of Olympic Dam.

Oct 5, 2004
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Was there on the weekend for work, went out Saturday night after stereosonic and the cricket finished and the city was absolutely pumping.... Was a good night although possibly not representative of normal Adelaide nightlife.

paulleahy101

Draftee
Aug 7, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yes, it is true!, wide sea shore gifted nation in the world. Best destination to visit.

Thanks
United-21 kanha

DrKrieger

Club Legend
Jul 3, 2013
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Patriots, Miller, Williams
Adelaide is ok, apart from the shops always being closed and the drivers. Only place I've been where people will speed up 30+ kmh above the speed limit to stop you merging in front of them and then drop back to 15kmh under the limit once it's single lane (or sit next to someone also 15 under where more than one lane is involved)

Glenelg is nice, beach itself would be the shallowest slope I've come across but not a bad thing, have been told (never went to see) that there are awesome surf breaks down south of the city. Have also had good nights out in Rundle mall, and the City itself looks very nice.

Overall, not a huge fan, but can see the appeal for people who are into the right things

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Is 4 nights and 3 full days enough for a first time visit? Would be going the weekend of Saturday May 11th to see the Showdown at Adelaide Oval that night.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Lonely Planet throw up some weird suggestions for their best travel spots. For 2018 their top 3 destinations were, in order:

1. Seville - Great suggestion
2. Detroit - What the actual *?
3. Canberra - C'mon seriously?

Of all the cities you could visit in the entire world, Detroit and Canberra were in their top 3! Now they're pushing Rwanda as one of the top countries for 2019. It seems like travel bloggers have been everywhere and now they're in a competition to out-hipster each other by suggesting increasingly obscure places.

Adelaide is ok, apart from the shops always being closed and the drivers. Only place I've been where people will speed up 30+ kmh above the speed limit to stop you merging in front of them and then drop back to 15kmh under the limit once it's single lane (or sit next to someone also 15 under where more than one lane is involved)
Lol, I do this a bit.
Well, not the speeding up part (will accelerate fast to the speed limit but not over)
But will slow down a lot if I’m being tailgated close.

This last week I slowed to 50 in a 60 with a taxi tailgating me. He backed off, I went back to 60.

I’m just being safe. At a higher speed, something forcing me to brake will lead to a crash. So I slow down to ensure they have enough reaction time to avoid a crash.

PROS
Roads are square blocks - easy to double back.
Trams.
Cheaper rents than any other capital city.
Wine. Local stuff cheap.
Not over populated.

CONS
Worst drivers
1 or 2 lane roads
Showdown. Feral and bogan central.
Beaches aren't as good as Syd or Bris.

footy75

Premiership Player
Jun 4, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Workmate went there last week she said its the most boring city going.

Depends on what you like ,l guess. lve never been but l will vist , as l want to go to kangaroo island.

Your work mate knows what she is talking about... listen to her.

Again great place to settle down and watch tv.

emuboy

Premiership Player
Dec 17, 2006
The Southern Hemisphere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
South Fremantle, Sturt
Adelaide is a great place, there's lots of things to do and see around town. Glenelg is one of Australia's best beaches. Not far away there's the Murray River, Victor Harbor, the Barossa Valley and Kangaroo Island, all very beautiful spots worth a visit.

Barry_Badrinath

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2011
Bathing in Premiership Glory
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Grand Finals at the Gabba
Adelaide is a great place, there's lots of things to do and see around town. Glenelg is one of Australia's best beaches. Not far away there's the Murray River, Victor Harbor, the Barossa Valley and Kangaroo Island, all very beautiful spots worth a visit.

So the best things to do in Adelaide aren't actually in Adelaide?

Back