adelaide crows list for season 2006

Remove this Banner Ad

He's more of an expert than you or I.

Besides which, if you disagree with a point he makes give a reason. Explain why.

Words such as silly, utter nonsense and asinine are not arguments. They are not even points of argument.

This experience thing is your school project, not mine :)

I don't need to disprove your dopey caricature of a theory

If you focus on quality first. ... They will get the experience.
If you focus on building the experience... you may be left with experienced meh.

I'm pretty sure that the talent spotters, recruiters and are not focused on meh. That's just a given. In addition you need development a good system in place. The experience comes with time. And a Club can't just have our "2016 premiership team" list now and pump games into them. There must necessarily be evaluation and improvement along the way.

Melbourne got rid of a whole bunch of senior players a while back and have had top draft picks. They went backwards with experience, but supposedly got good talent.

What is important is not to waste AFL games to "see what a player looks like". You need to see that they are "too good to be stuck in reserves" then put games into them. Giving a player a taste is one thing, but you really need to know by 20 or 30 games if a player is worth persisting with. Just as calling time on an older player's career is important, 22 too many games might be holding back team development.

The number of games played is a simple measure. But its fairly clear that inexperienced teams are far less likely to win lots of games and contend for premierships. But the actual profile is important too. 3 or 4 players on more than 100 games is not a list profile of a top 4 team.

The level of experience is just one measure of how close to the "premiership window" the list actually is..... if your team is experienced but not competitive on the field you've been doing it wrong.

I think there is a fair amount of misunderstanding about what correlation means. In addition how much experience contributes to winning games is under-appreciated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Freo in 2012 were the best team in the league in the second half of the season. They sacked their coach because of the quality of the list and brought in a quality coach. That's what 2012 tells us :p

Disagree with that. Their schedule was extremely easy in that back end. After the bye they lost to Essendon, Collingwood and Us.

The only top 8 sides they beat was North Melbourne (who finished 8th) and West Coast.

Hawthorn was by far the best team in all the land.

Agreed. When will you learn? :D

Correlation does not equal causation

And without causation its fairly meaningless

That's far too simplistic. But you boil every situation to a one liner of a few words.

The excercise is to see what degree experience contributes to the ability of a team to win across a season.

I might be having a look because I reckon its an intersting excercise. But the degree of detail Buckley gives indicates he has had some serious conversations with the list manager about building a team. If he's having the conversation, I doubt Collingwood is the only team that looks at this as just one of the factors of building a list.

And it will be interesting to look at the top 4 teams longitudinally to see how they have built to where they are now, as Allefgib had suggested.

It also shows that "pumping games into kids" is too simplistic as well. Don't spend 30 games. ... or over 70 in Petrenko's case finding out what you knew at 20 games. Put games into the right kids.

This also works into one of Drug's bug bears, resting players with niggles. A week or two rest to freshen up gives a valuable game or two to a youngster..... The difference between 150 and 152 games is negligible.

The argument has never been, "lets bring back Doughty".

Even if experience is just a single ingredient to success - and it is - the incredibly high strike rate of GF winners having a more experienced side is telling, and to deny that is to ignore hard evidence.

I don't think anyone is suggesting a team that focuses only on experience is going to trump one that knows how to produce quality. As in everything else, it's a combination.

And if we look at stats that show us we're severely inexperienced in comparison to the top 4, then it follows we shouldn't be too disappointed at not contending this year. Whether we branch out and become the next Hawthorn (a team that knows who to pump experience into) or the next Carlton (who... not so much) is up to the AFC.

And that is why such a clumsy cartoonish measure as experience is of little predictive meaning. Its too easy to fall back on as a hollow excuse

Its not long ago Mattrox made possibly the dopiest comparison imaginable comparing jenkins & travis cloke on the basis of comparable experience.

Even allowing for the small sample sizeb(<50 games), the biggest problem was that Jenkins was some 7 years younger for same games played!!!!!!

Experience is a nothing factor that comes with time. it used to be age, now the focus on experience is even more meaningless

There is nothing to see here, nothing worth talking about. There are no secrets to be unlocked in the "mystery of experience".

And that is why such a clumsy cartoonish measure as experience is of little predictive meaning. Its too easy to fall back on as a hollow excuse

Its not long ago Mattrox made possibly the dopiest comparison imaginable comparing jenkins & travis cloke on the basis of comparable experience.

Even allowing for the small sample sizeb(<50 games), the biggest problem was that Jenkins was some 7 years younger for same games played!!!!!!

Experience is a nothing factor that comes with time. it used to be age, now the focus on experience is even more meaningless

There is nothing to see here, nothing worth talking about. There are no secrets to be unlocked in the "mystery of experience".

You are awesome at taking quotes out of context and missing the point.

No one is unlocking secrects. Just taking a different approach to looking at the concept of premiership window. If you don't get anything out of it don't read the posts.

You're right, Sanders. The model is not good a predicting the future. Just not sure why you were expecting it to because no one has tried to claim it does. You're the only one trying to paint this picture.

If I knitted a jumper I bet you'd complain that it didn't come with pants so why did I bother?

You're right, Sanders. The model is not good a predicting the future. Just not sure why you were expecting it to because no one has tried to claim it does. You're the only one trying to paint this picture.

If I knitted a jumper I bet you'd complain that it didn't come with pants so why did I bother?

I often wonder why you bother too :p

Blathering on about experience a dozen times is about as useful as saying "we just need to kick straight" or "no more turnovers".

These are things pensioners shout on the boundary ;)

I often wonder why you bother too :p

Blathering on about experience a dozen times is about as useful as saying "we just need to kick straight" or "no more turnovers".

These are things pensioners shout on the boundary ;)
It was an interesting statistic. If it interests Mattrox that's his business. Not sure why you feel the need to shoot it down but I guess that's your business!

What else do pensioners shout? I assume you've heard it all, being in the same row :)

It was an interesting statistic. If it interests Mattrox that's his business. Not sure why you feel the need to shoot it down but I guess that's your business!

The first time sure. Second time fair enough. Third time ok. but c'mon lets not pretend we've invented the wheel.

What else do pensioners shout? I assume you've heard it all, being in the same row :)

I only pick up every third word. My hearing aid doesn't get the battery life advertised :)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back