Game Day Adelaide Crows vs West Coast Eagles - Rd 22, 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

I was amazed to see the stat on the last 16/17 Premiership teams averaging

> 100 points for

< 85 point against

WC, Hawthorn and Adelaide (only just) are the only 3 in that category.

Make of that what you wish.

The tone was set in the first minute when Mcgovern ran under the marking contest thats the second game in a row hes done that.I just thought "oh dear ".Where do you start dissecting that purile muck?Priddis was standing still in the centre bounces and if the ball came his way he got mugged, move son,move!!!.We had nobody in close at the bounce.They had two guys defensive ,on their own,and the ball constantly went to them.The odd time Nicnat punched long we looked better.Ive said it before [ many times ]and ill say it again;we are too Kennedy centric,God how many time did we bomb a big kick to a two on one and he got mugged![A] we need to lower our sights Kennedy needs to vary his work when hes outnumbered.Lead back,lead sideways,not just straight ahead full speed.Players like Tahlia and Mcfarlane can match him for speed.Yes hes leading the goalkicking but when your killing sides its easier.When your getting killed you need to adapt and he/we didnt do so.Xavier Ellis the Clanger King!!Soft lollypop kicks dont work to stationary targets especially when going into the middle.Murry Newman was probably our onbly shining light.Nice little cameo.Newman in Hill out!!You can usually tell in the first few minutes if a sides up for the contest and we were'nt.

Adelaide played much better. I like that the team managed to regroup and get 5 in a row back on that thumping. Would have been very easy to go into cruise mode knowing you aren't going to win after the first quarter.

Our injuries in the back half caught up with us. It was bound to happen against an inform opponent with a forward line that gels well, and Betts, Walker & Jenkins were working beautifully into space every time they come forward. One came up one dropped back one moved laterally and when you get clean ball against an undermanned defence this was always going to be the case.

Too many on our team have been punching above their weight for a while now. McGinnity while being serviceable the last few weeks shows why people dont want him near the team. A couple of times he ran past the ball and when you are a lowly skilled wrecking ball getting the ball off of the deck should be a non negotiable. He absolutely only looks like he should be on the team when his pressure is up and if he is running past the ball allowing the op to pick it up and then being a non factor its brutal to watch.

Hurn has been down for a while now. His kicking doesn't seem to have the penetration in it perhaps carrying something? But he did have that set shot for goal from 50+ yesterday so I don't think so. Ellis had a bad one. We need to get back Wellingham, Butler, Schofield & Masten probably at the expense of Barrass, McGinnity, Hutchings & (Rosa or Newman). I like Rosa for flexibility to play tallish in the backline or as winger but I really like Newman's purpose and ability to be clean when he came on.
But ideally McG & Hutchings need to step aside. I don't have anything against Hutchings' game as such would just prefer to see Yeo back in the middle with Masten.

Need to ask the umpires how Kennedy can be blocked off the ball every time it is kicked to him
There is no way the umps are responsible for that loss BUT..there are clear differences in interpretation. We got several holding the ball decisions where the player had zero prior opportunity to dispose of the ball and the ump (usually that pygmy Razor Ray) waits a long time so he can ping a holding the ball. On the other hand, opposition players get the ball and they either blow the whistle immediately and bounce thereby avoiding having to make the call or they allow the ball to be simply dropped. Also agree with Kennedy but note that Nic Nat was held everytime so that he couldn't jump..this allowed the other ruckmen to just wrestle and negate the taps. Again, would have lost anyway due to the fumbling and bad decisions made and also the pressure and run that Adelaide applied but it is annoying

The worst thing of all is to see them bullying us and we just lay down and let them screw us.Tex was bumping Mcgovern and testing his shoulder,Priddis was getting maimed,Kennedy was getting held and pushed around,Barass; son you need to toughen up your approach to a contest and take some body,not try and take all ball and no body.No Eagles player attacked the contest with any real ferocity.I can accept losing with dignity but not like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back