News Adelaide falling behind in Revenue

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
'The Pride of South Australia' is substantially more broad than 'We are Port Adelaide'. Might be wise of Pt. Adelaide to open their marketing slogans.

This is what I thought. We could give up our South Australian focus and that might give us a little extra appeal to interstate people but would that let Port in on the general SA market easier?

Port have gone from things like Power Revolution or whatever to We Are Port Adelaide so I'm confused as to whats working for them? I guess we could announce our 25th year with Toyota as our only major sponsor at the MCG but whats that really going to change if the only people who are really paying any attention are in SA.

I bet if you asked Port if they would rather 50% of SA than what they currently have plus what they think they can gain nationally they would take SA.

I guess clubs like Collingwood and Essendon have better support nationally because people followed them and their competition before other states had a team. I am sure a huge majority of people really supporting Port and Adelaide interstate would be ex-SA people anyway.

I know many supporters in SA who go for one of the traditional Victorian teams but no one who goes for say Brisbane, or Fremantle and it's probably the same for us in other states. When a team wins a premiership you get some extra support but even then I don't know if it lasts if those people didn't have a team in the first place and weren't following the game will they really be there in the down times? I used to see a few West Coast supporters around back in 2006/7.

I still think our major focus should be strengthening what we have at home first, late 90s/early 2000s numbers in 2014 $$$ will get us a long way.

Last edited:

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Usually you wait for your leading question about someone to be answered before you condemn them.

So if they have purchased a pre/post match venue all is forgiving?
Catch phrases like, "the pride of South Australia" and "the team for all South Australians" wouldn't help this. You could never imagine Collingwood promoting themselves in the same manner. It was very smart of the AFC to try embrace the state when they first entered the AFL but now it might be more prudent to try to open their marketing slogans. Or maybe I'm completely wrong!!

Especially when the rest of Australia think SA is a backwater. It was a great slogan initially but is now dated and limiting. We have a large supporter base nationally so its time we start appealing to them and their friends/family if we are to grow.

Jumbo

In the Hall of Fame wearing my state jumper
10k Posts
Feb 5, 2004
Treading on eggshells
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
sanfl - the mighty double magpies
So if they have purchased a pre/post match venue all is forgiving?

Especially when the rest of Australia think SA is a backwater. It was a great slogan initially but is now dated and limiting. We have a large supporter base nationally so its time we start appealing to them and their friends/family if we are to grow.

Oh, you seen the new SA Advertising campaign too:(

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Golden State Warriors NBA Champions
Especially when the rest of Australia think SA is a backwater.

If you are referring to those Eastern state people who have a massive chip on their shoulder with an inferiority complex about South Australia or those who are inconsequential to the success thus state has, then yes you are on the money like usual.

But being serious - nothing wrong with the "pride of South Australia" marketing slogan as everyone know where Adelaide is and anyone with half a brain understands the message that is getting sent to potential members.

The message is not about limiting the people who support the club. It has nothing against the limitations of demographic that may end up buying a membership - it's about identifying a location where the club plays and what they want to achieve. It has nothing to to with port Adelaide as it's directed towards every other sport in this state. The Adelaide Football Club has a mission to be the best club in this state and then beyond.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
If you are referring to those Eastern state people who have a massive chip on their shoulder with an inferiority complex about South Australia or those who are inconsequential to the success thus state has, then yes you are on the money like usual.
But being serious - nothing wrong with the "pride of South Australia" marketing slogan as everyone know where Adelaide is and anyone with half a brain understands the message that is getting sent to potential members.

The message is not about limiting the people who support the club. It has nothing against the limitations of demographic that may end up buying a membership - it's about identifying a location where the club plays and what they want to achieve. It has nothing to to with port Adelaide as it's directed towards every other sport in this state. The Adelaide Football Club has a mission to be the best club in this state and then beyond.
I agree, the slogan itself is fine at it builds pride in the state .......Collingwood still identifies with its roots ......the difference is Collingwood doesn't limit its membership and revenue opportunities to its backyard.

IMO Adelaide has for too long NOT looked hard enough out of Sth Australia for membership, and revenue opportunities
How many investments does it have outside SA ........for example, IF the AFL license was prohibitive of gaming venues to protect the gaming revenue of Sth Aust clubs, why didn't it look outside the state for gaming venues ?

There's probably more Sth Aussies living outside SA now than within the state ??

Aug 13, 2006
SA
AFL Club
Adelaide
I don't think we have fallen behind the pack per say; I thinks it's mote like - the rest of the competition have found smarter ways to make money and basically caught up and gone beyond us. /quote]

So everybody has overtaken us.... But we haven't fallen behind?

Not sure how that works.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Can anyone even name the slogan from more than a couple of other AFL teams?, I can't even find them online. Except the yearly membership ones, with ours being that "get on board" thing.

If its only in our song then yeah get rid of it only because I would like us to have a much shorter and simpler song. It's kind of awkward after a game once it gets to that section "clap... clap.. clap.. clap." with no words.

Otherwise I think we should of been focusing more on other areas but just changing a slogan means little.

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
lol.. Reminds me of an old D-Generation skit..."wtf are we advertising again?"

You don't like the board, you don't like the state, you don't like the branding, marketing, captain - what do you like about the club..

Why do you even support the club if you have so much dislike?

Oh I get, you're auditioning to be part of the 'cool' group that must bag everyone and everything crow (or us that cow for people like you ) related.

s**t story champ.

When you from one of the AFL Powerhouses to mid-table, then the management has been under-performing.

There is no reason why we should have dropped to the middle of the pack, given our dominance of the SA market.

Jun 7, 2011
Mount Gambier
AFL Club
Adelaide
When you from one of the AFL Powerhouses to mid-table, then the management has been under-performing.

There is no reason why we should have dropped to the middle of the pack, given our dominance of the SA market.

there is a very good reason why that has happened. average management yielding average results.

Mike Smyth

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 8, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
You don't like the board, you don't like the state, you don't like the branding, marketing, captain - what do you like about the club..

Why do you even support the club if you have so much dislike?

Oh I get, you're auditioning to be part of the 'cool' group that must bag everyone and everything crow (or us that cow for people like you ) related.

s**t story champ.

LOl, brilliant..You just made my day young Alex. GOLD

Huntercrow

Dwat that Wabbit
Feb 7, 2009
Hunter Valley
AFL Club
Adelaide

There was a Newcastle radio promo in the mornings just before christmas. It ended with.... "At least we don't live in Adelaide"
Don't know why they targeted us but all my workmates thought it was hilarious.

alex_is_on_fire

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 25, 2010
Meekatharra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
There was a Newcastle radio promo in the mornings just before christmas. It ended with.... "At least we don't live in Adelaide"
Don't know why they targeted us but all my workmates thought it was hilarious.

Because it's a cheap laugh. It's the same as how we target the Port Adelaide football club and their crowd numbers - they have become an easy target and a cheap laugh but in reality, not a whole of truth behind it.

The paradigm changes but the jokes don't.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...gn-60000-members/story-fni5f4l8-1226807176701

So this article from a week ago has probably been discussed in this thread, it talks about our existing plans to reach supporters interstate. I am glad the club is thinking about this already.

More interesting than changing a slogan is this

"Apart from social media, we're also looking at our profile interstate,'' Couch said.

"For example getting players in the media in various media outlets in Melbourne and interstate, on The Footy Show, on radio talk back.''

I hope that happens because it not only gets our sponsors more exposure which = more money next time things are negotiated, we as local supporters also get something, and we do have a number of players perfect for this, as the Victorian media seems to love a few of them. I could see Tex becoming the next Jonathan Brown on the footy show for example.

I see that we hope to raise our interstate membership by 40 percent to 5000, this doesn't seem like a lot, I suppose it adds up if you can get maybe $200 on average out of each of them. But not worth a huge effort to re-market the club if it weakens what we've already got at home.

I think its almost impossible for any of the newer clubs to get any sort of genuine interstate support other than people originally from that state. The original Victorian clubs have a huge advantage here because people followed them before we existed. Why would a Victorian for example chose to follow a team they can see half a dozen times a year when they have a choice of 10 local teams and same goes for all of the other states now that they each have 2 teams.

Most of the people supporting us would be from here and probably enjoy that connection to home.

AFC3000

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 20, 2011
AFL Club
Adelaide
Credit to the club for this one http://www.afc.com.au/news/2014-02-03/global-crow-membership-open

Have other clubs done similar or are we leading the way? I don't see it on the few clubs websites I've checked.

International membership includes members kit, polo, ipad versions of the footy record and club magazine as well as access to stream all AFL matches online. $155 which is pretty good value when you consider the price of the record and access to stream games.

Back