B: Thomas Murphy, Darren Glass, Dennis Armfield
HB: Jed Adcock, Nathan J Brown, Tom Lonergan
C: James Aish, Daniel Rich, _____________
HF: Luke McGuane, _____________, ____________
F: Andrej Everitt, Josh Jenkins, Devon Smith
R: Tom Downie, Dyson Heppell, Brock McLean
Int: Levi Greenwood, Sam Reid, Daniel Currie
Sub: Jackson Paine

Adelaide Lions welcome Heppell and Hannath.

The Adelaide Lions have welcomed young midfielder 21 year old Dyson Heppell and young ruckman 22 year old Jack Hannath to the club.

Jack Hannath is a 201 cm 102 kg developing ruckman who has played a dozen or so games for his old club since his debut. The mature-age tall from South Australia has been used in the ruck and up forward at his old club. Jack was the first choice ruckman at Central Districts before joining Brisbane. He covers the ground well and has good hands and overall skills. Jack is a very good kick for a big player and is about to reach his prime. He is also noted for his good endurance running a 10.41 3km time trial at the Draft Combine before he was drafted.

An outstanding debut season in 2011 justified Brisbane’s delight in snapping up the classy defender in the 2010 AFL Draft. Stationed mostly off half-back, he played every match and averaged 21 disposals. The left-footer led the club in marks (132) and handballs (231), and was always calm under pressure. Won the AFL Rising Star award, and was also voted the AFLPA’s best first-year player. By the end of 2013 he had accumulated 62 games and had moved into the midfield. Now crossing to the Adelaide Lions on a four year contract, his new club hopes he will become a vital midfield cog in 2014 and beyond.

The club wishes Ryan Griffen every success at the Bears.

Draftee James Aish is rapt to remain in SA with Lions.

The number seven AFL draft pick James Aish insists the Lions' Den already feels like home especially as he was able to remain with his famous footballing family in South Australia.

Adelaide has thrown out the welcome mat to Aish and fellow draftees Nick Robertson and Darcy Gardiner in a bid to bond before the team has its Christmas break.

And Aish, 19, already has strong ties to South Australia, particularly SANFL heavyweights Norwood. His father Andrew played for SA and Norwood. His uncle Michael is a SA Hall-of-Famer, state captain and a 307-game Norwood legend who won the state's highest individual honour, the Magarey Medal. And his grandfather Peter also played state football and captained Norwood before taking up the club's coaching reins.

Teenager Aish won two premierships in as many years with Norwood after he became the youngest player in 134 years to make his debut for the club at 16.

Aish said his football upbringing would help him settle into the Adelaide Lions environment.

"Norwood built a very strong culture - hopefully that gave me a taste of what a successful environment is like. Their professional standards should keep me in good stead here," Aish said last week.

"I have played against men for two years and trained with men and AFL listed players, so I think that has given me a pretty good insight into what the AFL entails."

"I am pretty confident I will be happy here. It seems like a good group. Success should be just around the corner."

Robbo elated to be a new Lion

Nick Robertson had one overwhelming emotion when his name was read out by the Adelaide Lions with Pick No.27 at the National Draft – elation.

Robertson harboured some doubt that he would find an AFL home on Draft day, particularly considering he played just three matches with the West Perth Colts in 2013 due to a shoulder injury.

But his talents proved too hard to ignore.

“(The injury) was obviously a huge worry of mine with the shoulder and not playing any footy,” he told thewest.com.au.

“To see the name on the screen was just huge for me.

“The whole family came over and it was just a big roar, it knocked me off my chair. I fell on the floor crying”

There’s no disputing they were tears of joy, with the West Australian having no qualms about moving to South Australia to pursue his AFL career.

“I've always said any opportunity is an opportunity and I can't wait to start my footy career at the Adelaide Lions. I'm lost for words, I'm that excited,” he said.

Robertson, or ‘Robbo’ as he will soon be known to his teammates, joined his fellow draftees at the Adelaide Oval on Wednesday for his first of many training sessions with the Club.

"He's another AIS boy that had a fantastic under-17 season, had a shoulder injury this year and missed a fair chunk of the season. He's a tall, aggressive mid, huge motor and runs really hard and we think that taller, big body in the midfield will hopefully add another dimension we don't have at the moment." said the head of the Lions' recruiting team.

Lions thrilled to land tall Falcon

The Adelaide Lions have drafted tall defender Darcy Gardiner at Pick 44, with the Lions thrilled to recruit Gardiner to the club so late in the draft.

Gardiner is a tall defender who is rarely beaten one on one and who earned Under-18s All Australian honours in 2013.

Adelaide Lions staff twice travelled to Geelong to visit Gardiner, including a promising meeting the Friday before the draft.

He was asked several questions about how he would cope with the move to the City of Churches.

At 192cm, Gardiner proved himself against bigger key forwards throughout the TAC Cup season, and was one half of an engrossing battle against No. 1 draft pick Tom Boyd in Copenhagen on the AIS-AFL Academy tour of Europe.

But at the Lions, Gardiner's size will probably place him as a third tall in defence. And it's a role he should relish.

"I would aim to play at least one game next season and build from there," he said.

But Gardiner's competitive attitude, as much as his physical ability, has already laid the foundations for a successful AFL career.

"My aggressiveness comes naturally but it's something I have to use at the right time," he said.

"You have to have a good, positive attitude as well.

"I have to thank the Falcons and my junior club Queenscliff for developing as a player and a person."
Gardiner pushed through a demanding year of state, school and TAC Cup footy to give himself every chance of being drafted. His hard work paid off last night.

Cheers were followed with the collective tears of his gathered family and friends in Newtown.
Mum Janice said she would miss her son, who has never lived away from home, but has confidence in Adelaide's support staff.

"He'll be right. We're only a phone call away," she said.

Geelong Falcons coach Andy Allthorpe said having three Falcons drafted was probably the expected outcome from the draft.

"It would have been a nervous wait for Darcy, but in the end it doesn't matter where you go, as long as you get picked up. It was also probably longer than he thought at #44 with most pundits predicting him to go somewhere in the twenties, but it was great for him to finally get there,'' Allthorpe said.

Draftee James Aish is rapt to remain in SA with Lions.

The number seven AFL draft pick James Aish insists the Lions' Den already feels like home especially as he was able to remain with his famous footballing family in South Australia.

Adelaide has thrown out the welcome mat to Aish and fellow draftees Nick Robertson and Darcy Gardiner in a bid to bond before the team has its Christmas break.

And Aish, 19, already has strong ties to South Australia, particularly SANFL heavyweights Norwood. His father Andrew played for SA and Norwood. His uncle Michael is a SA Hall-of-Famer, state captain and a 307-game Norwood legend who won the state's highest individual honour, the Magarey Medal. And his grandfather Peter also played state football and captained Norwood before taking up the club's coaching reins.

Teenager Aish won two premierships in as many years with Norwood after he became the youngest player in 134 years to make his debut for the club at 16.

Aish said his football upbringing would help him settle into the Adelaide Lions environment.

"Norwood built a very strong culture - hopefully that gave me a taste of what a successful environment is like. Their professional standards should keep me in good stead here," Aish said last week.

"I have played against men for two years and trained with men and AFL listed players, so I think that has given me a pretty good insight into what the AFL entails."

"I am pretty confident I will be happy here. It seems like a good group. Success should be just around the corner."

You may well be a prophet Roy ! He will be at either Adelaide or the Lions (AFL) in 2016 ! ;)

The Adelaide Lions today announced the appointment of Jed Adcock as the Club’s Captain for 2014.

Midfielder Daniel Rich was also unveiled as the Club’s Vice-Captain, whilst Dyson Heppell, Chris Newman and Darren Glass will take up roles as Deputy Vice Captains.

The structure was finalised earlier this week during a leadership conference in Adelaide involving core Senior players.

Senior Coach Roylion said that the new leadership model was a good fit for the Club.

“Jed has demonstrated outstanding leadership over his time at the Lions,” Roylion said.

“He is an excellent representative of this footy Club, and it’s culture and values. Jed is a great on-field leader, but just as importantly he sets a great example off it too.

“It is also a fantastic opportunity for Daniel Rich as Vice-Captain, at just 23 years of age, to really step up and continue to grow as a leader.”

The Lions extended Leadership Group is made up by Luke McGuane, Nathan J. Brown, Kane Cornes and Greg Broughton.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back