Adelaide Oval Dimensions

Remove this Banner Ad

This isn't perfect but using an elliptical tool in Photoshop and following what looks like the new fence line at the Northern end I came up with this:
http://imgur.com/Tb2b1

Measuring that in Nearmap I get 175m x 135m fence to fence or roughly 166m x 126m

Still a little narrow compared to Footy Park at 166m x 132m and the MCG at 162m x 140m all taken on Nearmap. However you can't be sure how much farther east they will go. There's a lot of room there so hopefully they do the right thing.

Thanks ....but i took that into account when I measured and posted the dimensions as 118m W

Using the NearMap website, I checked the second most recent photo (April 17), and extended the boundary out to match the shape of the Western side (keeping the North and south as they are). I get 183m long by 139 wide.

Western fence to temporary Eastern fence I measured as 123m, so I'm assuming they will move the fence about 15-16m once complete (that's how much it's moved in, in front of the scoreboard).

If you look closely, you can see that the current fence line is well inside what would be the final boundary. They have taken up some of the current oval space for working; this will be retuned on completion. Look at the picture below.

And I do recall seeing the dimensions being release before and that they would be similar to Footy Park – Not too worried.

July262012.jpg
Isn't that the northern end though?

Ok so I have an answer (thanks SACA and thanks to a mate who called in) – however this is estimates but I would assume close

AO is currently circa 180 – 130 Fence to Fence, on completion it will be 180-134.

For Football thet need to take 10 metres from the end goal (5m each) and 5m off the sides (total 10m)

So AO during football season will be 170 x 124

Cricket needs less space side ways so it will be 170 x 128.

I have been told this could be out by a metre or so.

Ok so I have an answer (thanks SACA and thanks to a mate who called in) – however this is estimates but I would assume close

AO is currently circa 180 – 130 Fence to Fence, on completion it will be 180-134.

For Football thet need to take 10 metres from the end goal (5m each) and 5m off the sides (total 10m)

Ah crap.. :(

I must be pretty close with my over lay then.

:thumbsdown: Bugger ....so it's be 17mtr narrower than MCG ....and 9Mtr narrower than AAMI Stadium

Still too small !!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well come about 2014 we should be really good at our coaches preferred form of footy, tough hard contested s**t...sought of footy that suits narrow wings..

Just a random question while its on my mind, where will the cricket be played this season if Adelaide Oval is unavaliable?
the SMA originally said it would be played at AAMI, with all state level cricket being played at Glenelg. But it seems that it's all going to still be played at AO this season

:thumbsdown: Bugger ....so it's be 17mtr narrower than MCG ....and 9Mtr narrower than AAMI Stadium

Still too small !!!

strange size too. but still it isn't going to be a massive disadvantage I would have thought.

I would also hope, one day down the track the AFL GF will be played outside to the MCG.

Interesting to note, the width of MCG is 148 fence to fence, but the playing area is 141. It's not like the MCG is short of space, so perhaps the 5m on either side is 'flexible'.

Interesting to note, the width of MCG is 148 fence to fence, but the playing area is 141. It's not like the MCG is short of space, so perhaps the 5m on either side is 'flexible'.

I reckon it could well be. (I may have misheard and it was 5 metres around,so 2.5m either side)

I reckon it could well be. (I may have misheard and it was 5 metres around,so 2.5m either side)

No, you're right, the MCG website says it's 5 metres either side, but contradicts itself (or the AFL).

Etihad is supposedly 169.5m x 140m, with a playing surface 159.5m x 129m so the 5m is in place there.

http://www.mcg.org.au/The MCG Stadium/Facts and Figures.aspx
http://www.pitchcare.com.au/magazine/super-hoists-enable-intimate-mode-at-etihad-stadium.html
http://www.afl.com.au/fixture/aflvenues/victoria/tabid/13533/default.aspx

Can someone post the correct dimensions of AO compared to other AFL ovals? cant find them all.

Can someone post the correct dimensions of AO compared to other AFL ovals? cant find them all.
167m x 123.93m, I'm pretty sure that's going to be the playing surface, BUT, If that's fence to fence, if the same spaces around AAMI are duplicated, it would be 150m x 112m

167m x 123.93m, I'm pretty sure that's going to be the playing surface, BUT, If that's fence to fence, if the same spaces around AAMI are duplicated, it would be 150m x 112m
Isn't that ridiculously thin?
That would be nothing short of a disaster if it is that thin, our players are better suited to bigger grounds

ground-sizes.jpg

MCG 160 x 141
AAMI 165 x 133
Gabba 156 x 138
Etihad 159.5 x 128.8
SCG 151.5 x 136
Kardinia 170 x 115
Subiaco 175 x 122
Westpac (Wellington) 152 x 120
ANZ 160 x 119
Aurora 170 x 140
Bellrieve 175 x 133.5