Adelaide Oval Dimensions

Remove this Banner Ad

Finally an answer to one of this grounds most important questions
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...-crows-and-power/story-fnia3v71-1226698738599

Even then Rucci stuffed up the dimension comparisons :rolleyes:

IMHO ......we'll be talking about this in years to come as a hindrance to winning a flag
Going from 12 game a year on a narrow ground to playing on the MCG with an extra 17 mtrs of width requires a different gameplan!!

So we make it hard to play at Adelaide oval for opposition teams ......and this doesn't work against us in reverse on the MCG ......give me a break & the wrong decision :rolleyes:

Hurt Geelong didn't it

I would think that any advantage or disadvantage would be minor, that said we will play 11+ games at Adelaide Oval every year so I wouldn't mind having a small advantage in that many games in exchange for an equal disadvantage in the very few we'll play at the MCG. Besides Geelong and Sydney play at grounds dissimilar to the MCG and it hasn't hurt them too much, in fact it's probably helped them get to the finals regularly.

Yeah, but it make for a poor spectacle. Without wings, we will see lots of stop/start and congested games.
It could also force teams to go straight up the guts and play attacking football as the alternative would mean not kicking a winning score.

It could also force teams to go straight up the guts and play attacking football as the alternative would mean not kicking a winning score.

All teams will be forced to go up the guts as there will be no alternative. It will make for many congested and boring games. If you have ever seen a live game at Geelong you would know what I mean.

The fact that the SMA or whoever approved the design had a chance to reshape the ground to better suit Football and did not, is a huge failure IMO, and the fans will pay the price for eternity.

Is this another one of Trigg's mistakes?

It'll give us short term success.
But long term, I think it could hurt. Teams will start playing AO/Skilled/Skoda better as more teams are playing on fields with these sorts of dimensions.

As the season is coming to a close, what are everyone thoughts on how we have handled the new dimensions?

Has our game plan worked well at home? We have won more games away from home if I remember correctly, so maybe we need to tweak our gameplan at home?

There was a massive HGA for Port/Crows early in the year but it has vanished now.

Teams do not have to be able to play on all ground shapes/sizes to make finals.

The only two grounds that have an HGA different from average are SCG and Simmonds - both have the strangest shapes.

Teams with these as their home grounds need to be able to play on more standard sizes of course but the converse is not true. You might drop a game at SCG or Geelong as an away team but that won't hurt finals chances much. Indeed it helps the home sides make finals by adding 6 points or so to more standard HGA. I think this is a small part of the Geelong/Sydney success story ...

If anybody made a mistake it was not making Adelaide Oval stranger ... like a rhombus or something.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back