Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Liverpool attracts more than the Soccerbooboo's anyway :D
for now.....
Oversaturate the market and we may not see many more sellouts.
Aren't crowds for the big English sides in Asia dropping recently?

Something that sold out 5 years ago is now getting only 80% capacity?

Cool story bro.
How so? would love them to come here for big games but fact is they are not going to bring a marquee Socceroos game to Adelaide for 50k crowd when they can play it in Melbourne or Sydney infront of 90k crowds. All comes down to $ unfortunately for us. The only positive is that it lets me go on road trips to watch them.

How so? would love them to come here for big games but fact is they are not going to bring a marquee Socceroos game to Adelaide for 50k crowd when they can play it in Melbourne or Sydney infront of 90k crowds. All comes down to $ unfortunately for us. The only positive is that it lets me go on road trips to watch them.
All depends on who forks out the most money to host it and advertise/market their state.

Its all about dollars, whichever state government gives the FFA the most cash will get the games.

Look at the qualifiers for Brazil, from memory, there wasn't a WCQ played at the MCG, there was at least 1 at Etihad stadium, a couple at Suncorp and a couple at the Olympic stadium. The first two were held at 50000 seat venues and yes the last qualifier at ANZ was sold out but I think the earlier one there was played in front of about 40000.

Adelaide Oval will definetely get a WCQ in the final phase which i guess would start mid to late 2016. Im sure it will sell out as long as its against a half decent opponent or is near the end of qualifying with everything on the line.

Im sure the FFA Will play the other two WCQ from this early round of games at small venues such as Canberra or AAMI Park or Hindmarsh stadium would make sense also.

To Adelaide residents
Would you rather the ade oval as is or scrap the grass area and have another grandstand? More seats bigger crowds maybe bigger events. The only games I've been to in last couple have years have been at the Adelaide oval, in the standing area on the grass. It all looks great as is but I'd rather have a big grandstand right along behind the goals, that's just me, I don't really care of tradition with the score board it could have been elevated and incorporated into it all some how.

To Adelaide residents
Would you rather the ade oval as is or scrap the grass area and have another grandstand? More seats bigger crowds maybe bigger events. The only games I've been to in last couple have years have been at the Adelaide oval, in the standing area on the grass. It all looks great as is but I'd rather have a big grandstand right along behind the goals, that's just me, I don't really care of tradition with the score board it could have been elevated and incorporated into it all some how.

Leave as it is, 1 of the main reasons why the stadium generates such a great atmosphere is that the northern end is open.

Don't touch the hill.

Should be on the national heritage list.

Arguably the best feature of the Oval.
how would people feel about artificial turf?
The brown state it's in atm looks yuck.

Haven't noticed it looking poor.

Would get bloody hot over summer if artificial.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Actually surprised that it's legal to have such a large standing room only area with such narrow entry/exit points at a major facility like this. I know it doesn't have the same set-up as football stadiums in Europe, and crowds are generally of a different nature, too, but yeah, thought there would have been some rule around it regarding crowd safety.

Actually surprised that it's legal to have such a large standing room only area with such narrow entry/exit points at a major facility like this. I know it doesn't have the same set-up as football stadiums in Europe, and crowds are generally of a different nature, too, but yeah, thought there would have been some rule around it regarding crowd safety.
There is. That's why it's about two-thirds of the size that it was pre-rennovation. That's why there's a capacity limit. It's got a fair bit of space to get away - forward onto the oval, to the sides towards the eastern stand or the north gate, to the back onto the decking and then out.

Leave the hill for now, maybe in 10 yrs look at building a Northern stand to increase capacity to 65,000.

The last Showdown proved that the capacity is a bit rubbery, as the "official" attendance was 54,468 but sources on the Port team page say they let in around 56,000 & were close to turning away people who got in just before the first bounce.

To Adelaide residents
You wont fill that stand. Port crowds are already beginning to dissipate.

You wont fill that stand. Port crowds are already beginning to dissipate.

At first I thought we should have made it bigger but I think for the time being it is the right size. Most weeks you can buy a general admission ticket if you are organised enough. Id rather have a smaller capacity and create demand for tickets.

At first I thought we should have made it bigger but I think for the time being it is the right size. Most weeks you can buy a general admission ticket if you are organised enough. Id rather have a smaller capacity and create demand for tickets.

Good atmosphere, sun, maximum capacity 54,000 >>>> 60,000, concrete bowl, 10,000 empty seats.

Those going to the Port v GWS game tomorrow on the Gawler line may inadvertently be a part of history with the last 2000 'jumbo' series service running one last service before they are retired from revenue service.

Gawler line, yuck

Remove this Banner Ad

Back