Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Good atmosphere, sun, maximum capacity 54,000 >>>> 60,000, concrete bowl, 10,000 empty seats.
but, but, but
being big and only averaging 50% capacity is best as those 2 sell outs make up for everything else!?!??!!??!

The FFA has done a deal with the SMA that Adelaide United werent party to until practically kick off on Friday night. Adelaide had no say in the venue used.
http://www.news.com.au/sport/footba...for-victory-draw/story-fndm8jzo-1227564628067

We don’t pick these venues we didn’t pick this game on this date,’’ Griffin said.

“The venue and the date were allocated by the FFA.

“We had no say in it, we’d like to be very heavily involved if we’re doing it again and say look “we think it should be round three or round four.

“People know the A-League is on and you’ve kicked the cobwebs out, it’s simply too big a blockbuster during the first week.

“The FFA have their own separate agreement with Adelaide Oval, which is negotiated without us. There’s a contract between Adelaide Oval the SMA and FFA which we’re not a party to.

“It’s our profit and our risk.

“There are two agreements, there was an agreement months and months ago between FFA and SMA and on Wednesday I was asked to sign a match day agreement with SMA.

“I signed it at 6.30pm on the pitch on Friday night.”

Traveled across for Reds v Victory game and it just felt flat. Right across the board. The game was killed off by a Reff that didn't let the game flow which was bad enough but the atmosphere was shot.

Adelaide v Victory games at Hindmarsh are one of the marquee fixtures of this league and FFA butchering that by taking it to the Oval will just kill it off. I travel every year for this fixture and it has to be the worst ever. No atmosphere, soulless ground, worst match these two sides have played in many many years. The whole spectacle just felt flat. 17k at Hindmarsh (the only true soccer ground in the A-League) is an experience in itself. Fans on top of the pitch, so close to home fans the banter is high. This match we couldn't even seen a Reds fan within 50m..... Why kill it?

Maybe time the club seeked to have an upgrade to 20-22k. Fill the corners in and maybe a roof.... Outside Socceroos and Grand Finals. Adelaide Oval should be avoided.

This fixture would only work at the Oval in the week between Christmas and New Year. Much like the Christmas Melb Derby. Create a annual fixture. Seems stupid wasting the only match v Victory in Adelaide in Rd 1. AFL learnt this the hard way too a few years ago with the Grand Final replay in round 1

Last edited:
Traveled across for Reds v Victory game and it just felt flat. Right across the board. The game was killed off by a Reff that didn't let the game flow which was bad enough but the atmosphere was shot.

Adelaide v Victory games at Hindmarsh are one of the marquee fixtures of this league and FFA butchering that by taking it to the Oval will just kill it off. I travel every year for this fixture and it has to be the worst ever. No atmosphere, soulless ground, worst match these two sides have played in many many years. The whole spectacle just felt flat. 17k at Hindmarsh (the only true soccer ground in the A-League) is an experience in itself. Why kill it?

Maybe time the club seeked to have an upgrade. Fill the corners in and maybe a roof.... Outside Socceroos and Grand Finals. Adelaide Oval should be avoided.
Build a new 30,000 stadium behind the new RAH, next to Adelaide Oval on the west side or on the old RAH site.

Build a new 30,000 stadium behind the new RAH, next to Adelaide Oval on the west side or on the old RAH site.
This needs to happen. On a side note, it'll be interesting to see if the works for the South Road underpass will affect the crowds at Hindmarsh Stadium in the next couple of years.

This needs to happen. On a side note, it'll be interesting to see if the works for the South Road underpass will affect the crowds at Hindmarsh Stadium in the next couple of years.

Really there should be a plan for that whole oval precinct. Id build a 20,000 seat rectangular stadium on Adelaide Oval number 2, and upgrade the tennis centre so it can hold basketball and netball, as well as tennis (and sell off Mile end and Hindmarsh stadium to help pay for it). It'd be one of the best sporting facilties in the country with direct access to the cbd.

Hardly I would say. Those from the south can go along James Congdon Drive/Port Rd, those from the north can go along Torrens Rd/Park Tce.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Shoulda been last year's. Next one is 2017 IIRC, they do a home, an away and a year off.

I think they've scrapped the year off. They played in Ireland in 2013, here last year, so this year was the scheduled year off, but they're playing this year anyway.
Still shoulda been last year. Showcase the new stadium. Bet ya Perth gets it in 2018 to show off theirs, and the GC got it in 2012 to show off Metricon.

parking is shocking. so glad a bus pulls out for free 2mins from my house. wish they ran later than they do though! hard to hit the piss and still get home for free!!

parking is shocking. so glad a bus pulls out for free 2mins from my house. wish they ran later than they do though! hard to hit the piss and still get home for free!!
There's like 5 major carparks in the northern half of the city, with just a short walk to the Oval.
The buses are for the footy people, not the on-the-piss people, so if you wanna hit the piss I think it's your responsibility to get home.

So CA are using LED signage around the fence at the 'Gabba, like the ICC used at the World Cup. Wondering if they'll just use the pre-existing LEDs at AO or they'll go for the full surrounds...if they bring in their own to make it surround the ground perhaps the SMA should look at extending the built-in LEDs for the rest of the way around. Seems a waste to bring in LEDs to put in front of LEDs!

So CA are using LED signage around the fence at the 'Gabba, like the ICC used at the World Cup. Wondering if they'll just use the pre-existing LEDs at AO or they'll go for the full surrounds...if they bring in their own to make it surround the ground perhaps the SMA should look at extending the built-in LEDs for the rest of the way around. Seems a waste to bring in LEDs to put in front of LEDs!

I wouldn't put it past CA for LED's to only be used on the east coast, but FWIW, the Rednecks have been using the LED's for shield matches, so maybe CA will simply extend the LED's around. I can't see why the SMA can't extend the ground level LED's around, will make the fence more consistent at least.

I wouldn't put it past CA for LED's to only be used on the east coast, but FWIW, the Rednecks have been using the LED's for shield matches, so maybe CA will simply extend the LED's around. I can't see why the SMA can't extend the ground level LED's around, will make the fence more consistent at least.
I think CA will go all-out for AO as it will have a lot of focus internationally being the first day/nighter. Surely they could just patch in a few more panels in front of the Western stand? That's what I expected for the CWC but I guess the ICC wanted total control and uniformity around the tournament. AO broke ground having the whole camera-range (for AFL) with LEDs and then within a year the MCG and Etihad brought them in even on the interchange wing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back