Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Theres scope for a mini melbourne park setup...but even closer to Adelaide oval than the MCG is to Melbourne Park. Could cater for Tennis, Basketball and Netball all in the one arena. But hey what would I know, Id have forced soccer to Abandon Hindmarsh for the Oval as well, and sold off Football Park, Hindmarsh, Mile End and the 36ers stadiums to pay for the upgrade.

Think we've seen my now Adelaide Oval is not ideal for soccer, especially during A-League season when the cricket pitches are in.

Agree that Memorial Drive could become a multi-purpose sport venue that should accomodate basketball and netball. I'm not sure about Netball SA Stadium, but Titanium Security Arena is privately owned, so convincing them to sell out to fund Memorial Drive could be problematic.

Think we've seen my now Adelaide Oval is not ideal for soccer, especially during A-League season when the cricket pitches are in.

Its not ideal - soccer folks will tell us no Oval shaped stadium is - but neither is having a single user stadium IMO. And damn the traditionalists, the Oval wickets can move to drop ins like the MCG.

Agree that Memorial Drive could become a multi-purpose sport venue that should accomodate basketball and netball. I'm not sure about Netball SA Stadium, but Titanium Security Arena is privately owned, so convincing them to sell out to fund Memorial Drive could be problematic.

Priceline Stadium, as its apparently called these days, is owned by the Government and operated by the Department of Recreation and Sport. Apparently larger matches are already played at the Entertainment Centre - which might be part of why such a venue wasnt built at Memorial Drive. Apparently Titanium Security Arena is owned by the friggin Scouts.

Its not ideal - soccer folks will tell us no Oval shaped stadium is - but neither is having a single user stadium IMO. And damn the traditionalists, the Oval wickets can move to drop ins like the MCG.

Adelaide Oval already has drop-ins. Also, Coopera Stadium rarely hits capacity of Adelaide United matches, and with A-League attendances in decline (and that's before the current boycotts), going to be tough justifying moving Adelaide United to Adelaide Oval full time

Priceline Stadium, as its apparently called these days, is owned by the Government and operated by the Department of Recreation and Sport. Apparently larger matches are already played at the Entertainment Centre - which might be part of why such a venue wasnt built at Memorial Drive. Apparently Titanium Security Arena is owned by the friggin Scouts.

The only Thunderbirds matches that have been played at the Entertainment Centre have been the two Grand Finals. There's also been a handful of international matches played at the Entertainment Centre.

Titanium Security is jointly owned by the Scouts and the Church Basketball Association, and they're running the arena into the ground (though apparently they are replacing the busted score cube at Christmas). The place was better managed when it was owned by the Commonwealth Bank after they repossessed it from Eddy Groves.

Even with drop-ins, they stay all summer in general as it helps keep the block more solid if it's not moved around all the time.
Unlike Eden Park/Westpac Stadium there is a whole block put in at both MCG and AO not just a single pitch, as they have a heavy workload over summer (Shield, BBL, Tests and limited-overs internationals) whereas the NZ stadia generally only host internationals and T20.

Even with drop-ins, they stay all summer in general as it helps keep the block more solid if it's not moved around all the time.
Unlike Eden Park/Westpac Stadium there is a whole block put in at both MCG and AO not just a single pitch, as they have a heavy workload over summer (Shield, BBL, Tests and limited-overs internationals) whereas the NZ stadia generally only host internationals and T20.
AO this year went from 8 drop ins to 3. SACA VP Andrew Sincock (and ex state opening bowler) accidently ended up in my backyard the Monday after ACDC concert. He was trying to get to the property next door. I recognised him and we got talking about the ground, the test and post concert issues. He said after 2 years of using the drop in technology they got to a point where they are confident of rotating the 8 pitches thru the 3 slots rather than having all 8 out there. He said it made it easier to manage with the concert and with soccer games. I didnt go to the 2 shield games before the test so I didnt pick up on the change. Sincock said they would rotate the pitches after the test.

Last edited:
AO this year went from 8 drop ins to 3. SACA VP Andrew Sincock accidently ended up in my backyard the Monday after ACDC concert. He was trying to get to the property next door. I recognised him and we got talking about the ground the test and post concert issues. He said after 2 years of using the drop in technology they got to a point where they are confident of rotating the 8 pitches thru the 3 slots rather than having all 8 out there. He said it made it easier to manage with the concert and with soccer games. I didnt go to the 2 shield games before the test so I didnt pick up on the change. Sincock said they would rotate the pitches after the test.
This is good news for opening up the stadium for more summer use :) I assumed the drop to three was more for the concert/ball-preservation and more of a one-off measure.
That said, there's not really much else to use it for in summer, apart from the odd soccer game - and the timing/opponent for these has to be right otherwise there's no point in moving from Hindmarsh.
Something the MCG could look at but they have the added logistical challenge of needing to close off roads to transport the pitches into the stadium. That said, they did this before the World Cup last summer to reduce turnaround time before the AFL.

Just got tickets for the world cup qualifier after totally forgetting about them.

about 13k tickets sold so far, so tracking nicely to get a decent crowd for it.

Well worth having a look peeps, ticket prices are actually affordable, even to take a family.

The City End stand (sorry don't know there names) top deck is unavailable so I'm guessing this would only be open if demand is met.

I think FFA will be using this as a trial too to see if the Adelaide market is good to take the next round of Qualifying to. Would be good to have matches at Etihad, ANZ, Adelaide Oval, Suncorp.

Very happy that the FFA has listened to fans and media saying prices are to expensive. This match Cat A is $30 cheaper than previous match in Canberra.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ticketek prices include the credit card surcharge (which is per ticket), but not the $6.25 delivery fee (which is per transaction)
The fee you pay to get the computer system to email it to you so you can print it out using your own paper, ink, and electricity.

I heard on the news this morning that the Adelaide City Council would like to expand Adelaide Oval Number 2 to make it more useful. The news report was light on detail.

I think it is a great idea but without taking over the tennis courts I don't know if it is possible.

I heard on the news this morning that the Adelaide City Council would like to expand Adelaide Oval Number 2 to make it more useful. The news report was light on detail.

I think it is a great idea but without taking over the tennis courts I don't know if it is possible.

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...s/news-story/6944a8d2d4c73fce5dcb36f55a19257d

SA Government and Stadium Management Authority plan to expand Adelaide Oval No. 2 into parklands to attract sports
DECEMBER 14, 201511:43AM

Sarah SpencerThe Advertiser
LURING more national sporting events to South Australia is behind a plan to redevelop the parklands behind Adelaide Oval’s western grandstands.

The State Government and Stadium Management Authority, which controls Adelaide Oval, want to expand Adelaide Oval No. 2 to make it suitable for cricket, athletics and football matches.

The yet-to-be costed plan, discussed at an Adelaide Park Lands Authority meeting last month and receiving in-principle support, will be considered by Adelaide City Council this week after City North Messenger’s presstime.

Adelaide Oval No. 2, which currently is not up to international standard, would host men’s and women’s state cricket, Redbacks Matador Cup games and athletics under the plan.

The ground would be extended west towards Montefiore Rd by 15m, forcing the razing of up to 15 parklands trees and the removal of a walking path.

At present, second XI South Australian Cricket Association, district and school cricket matches are played at Adelaide Oval No.2.

Another 20 trees would be planted around the new boundary.

South Australian Cricket Association chief executive Keith Bradshaw said the plan would enhance Adelaide Oval’s reputation as a world-class sporting precinct.

“It has been a plan for years to upgrade the facilities and playing area at Adelaide Oval No. 2,” Mr Bradshaw said.

“We would like to secure Matador Cup content and to do that we need three grounds that meet first-class cricket standards (and) upgrading Adelaide Oval No. 2 would go a long way to ensuring that.”

The Planning Department said work would be completed by June 2016 and would be funded using part of a $30 million Federal Government grant for the Adelaide Oval Precinct Works.

Sounds like a great enhancement to me! further concentration of South Australian Sport into that precinct!

http://www.news.com.au/national/sou...s/news-story/6944a8d2d4c73fce5dcb36f55a19257d

Sounds like a great enhancement to me! further concentration of South Australian Sport into that precinct!
About time. Back in 2010 somewhere on the Port board after the December 2009 announcement I suggested part of the sweetener for the SACA in any JV with the SANFL was to get an indoor cricket centre that could be used 24 hours a day and to move AO no.2 up towards the NW corner of the precinct and pinch some car parking and turn the no.2 ground into a quality ground good enough for Sheffield Shield cricket which meant you didnt need to Glenelg, sort of like Alan Border field where the cricket academy moved to. I cant find my original post but I found this one from 30 September 2010, after a Port member's info night about 6 weeks after the SACA and SANFL signed off on a heads of agreement to proceed with the AO redevelopment.

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/adelaide-oval-information-night.762893/#post-19186505
"Not sure if was mentioned at PAFC's info night, but apparently AO no. 2 is being upgraded so the redbacks can play shield matches there rather than Glenelg oval. That along with a new cricket centre for excellence (which will double up as a post match function area for 3,000 people) is what I suggested the SACA should push for in the Stadium deals thread, so they get a win along with the SANFL winning from any sale of Footy Park lands. Looks like they have been smart enough to get this out of the government and probably why the $450mil cost per seat for the 36,000 new seats looks so much more expensive that the $90mil for 15,000 seats in the western grandstand. I read the other day that is now supposedly going to cost $116mil."

I was right about the idea but wrong about the money. Its all extra, well its part of the monies the feds chipped in for not the initial $450mil which became $535mil.

Last edited:
"The ground would be extended west towards Montefiore Rd by 15m, forcing the razing of up to 15 parklands trees and the removal of a walking path." Its going to make minimal difference will still be a postage stamp oval compared to my move it to the NW corner and pinch some car park idea.

upload_2015-12-14_19-10-36.png

"The ground would be extended west towards Montefiore Rd by 15m, forcing the razing of up to 15 parklands trees and the removal of a walking path." Its going to make minimal difference will still be a postage stamp oval compared to my move it to the NW corner and pinch some car park idea.

View attachment 200778
Isn't NW of AO2 rather steep hill up towards Light's Vision?

AO this year went from 8 drop ins to 3. SACA VP Andrew Sincock (and ex state opening bowler) accidently ended up in my backyard the Monday after ACDC concert. He was trying to get to the property next door. I recognised him and we got talking about the ground, the test and post concert issues. He said after 2 years of using the drop in technology they got to a point where they are confident of rotating the 8 pitches thru the 3 slots rather than having all 8 out there. He said it made it easier to manage with the concert and with soccer games. I didnt go to the 2 shield games before the test so I didnt pick up on the change. Sincock said they would rotate the pitches after the test.
Well there are 8 cricket pitches out there for tonight's BBL match between the Strikers and Stars.

I wonder if curator Damian Hough got nervous about the quality of those other 5 pitches growing out the back of AO given the girls BBL matches have been added to the schedule?? Or Andrew Sincock just misinterpreted what would happen throughout the whole season?

Well there are 8 cricket pitches out there for tonight's BBL match between the Strikers and Stars.

I wonder if curator Damian Hough got nervous about the quality of those other 5 pitches growing out the back of AO given the girls BBL matches have been added to the schedule?? Or Andrew Sincock just misinterpreted what would happen throughout the whole season?
I would go for the latter. Don't see why they wouldn't put them all out there and use them instead of only some and go through the extra work of rotating them mid-season. Plonk them in and leave them, don't risk unsettling the dirt by moving them more than needed.

So judging from the end of this video, it looks like they have installed advertising screens along the fence of the Members stand to match the rest of the ground.

Cricket Australia seem to be using their own fence this summer but its good that this was upgraded. Anyone have any idea why they didn't just do it with the rest of the redevelopment?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back