Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I didn't take any pics but you didn't miss much - it was awful.

I hope the Strikers never do that again, was a real let down after the big finish to the game.

We all thought that it left the AFL's half-time Grand Final entertainment for dead - and at a fraction of the cost.
And it showed what is possible with a night-time grand final.

Dunno what the reasoning behind it is, but why have they taken the LED displays around the fence at ground level, and moved them in 2meters for the cricket? Surely that is a waste of time?

Looked to be a great crowd last night, and what a game! Travis Heads last 15 balls goes straight to the pool room!

The LED signs have all been paid for by CA at every stadium, it was mentioned earlier so that they can have control over the signs or something like that.

The game was brilliant last night and the finish unbelievable, I'd given up with 18 balls to go and 15 balls later Trav had his Ton and we had a miracle win!

I thought the concert after was brilliant, my daughter and family loved it. With the light show and fireworks, it showed what the AFL is missing out on by not having a night Grand Final.

Dunno what the reasoning behind it is, but why have they taken the LED displays around the fence at ground level, and moved them in 2meters for the cricket? Surely that is a waste of time?
They havent. The ground level LED displays are built-in, the framework is bolted to the ground and the displays form the boundary fence.
CA have placed their own LED display set around the whole perimeter of the ground. The built-in one only covers 75% of the boundary. On the western fence where there is no built-in one it's anchored to the picket fence frame. Along the eastern fence it's about a metre in. At the ends of the ground it's further as they have the sight-screens and cameras placed between the advertising and the fence. Too much of the built-in would be obstructed by sight-screens and cameras, plus having to add-on to the existing set on the western fence, made it easier to chuck their own system in front.

You also might find that restricted view would also include seats that are next to the stand structures on the ground level and seats next to the stages that the dancers are on.

I stood behind the stage underneath section 330 for a while, can obstruct my view anytime. :)

The LED signs have all been paid for by CA at every stadium, it was mentioned earlier so that they can have control over the signs or something like that.

This is certainly not the case at Docklands (home to one of the BBL sides) where the LED signage is outright owned by the AFL. I wouldnt be surprised if theres an arrangement at the MCG - The MCGs LED signage was installed at the same time - and was a major plank in the AFLs game day experience improvement program.

This is certainly not the case at Docklands (home to one of the BBL sides) where the LED signage is outright owned by the AFL. I wouldnt be surprised if theres an arrangement at the MCG - The MCGs LED signage was installed at the same time - and was a major plank in the AFLs game day experience improvement program.
Being the only grounds with 360-degree LED signage already installed CA only had to put small sections in front of the sight-screen, which are on a separate set to the rest of the ground. They maintain the major sponsor (CommBank/KFC) throughout the match except for wickets etc.
Aus_ML1_774920347.jpg

Here you can see the added bit in front of the sight-screen, which has the white section right in the middle with the CA website ad on it (which you can see at the far end).

Other venues needed some LED added (eg AO) or had none built-in and therefore they simply dropped-in their own system.
the-sun-sets-over-the-adelaide-oval-during-day-one-of-the-third-test-picture-id498925712

Australia-Adelaide-day-night-Test.jpg

Speaking of CA signage along the boundary, when they had the non-LED signage that would change every minute or so (like what the MCG had from 2003-14), seems Adelaide Oval was the only Test venue in Australia to not have that type of signage. Was it because it wasn't comparable with the dimensions of AO or did the SACA not want that type of signage?

Speaking of CA signage along the boundary, when they had the non-LED signage that would change every minute or so (like what the MCG had from 2003-14), seems Adelaide Oval was the only Test venue in Australia to not have that type of signage. Was it because it wasn't comparable with the dimensions of AO or did the SACA not want that type of signage?

I'd say it was more a logistical thing.

It was the Etihad signage that was carted up to Brisbane for the test (they reverted to fixed signage for ODI's and T20I's) and Sydney.

The MCG and WACA's signage remained at their respective grounds all year round.

I just came across this. Surely someone else has put it up here?
But well, I did miss it, so just thought I'd put it up, just in case.
Good watch

I just came across this. Surely someone else has put it up here?
But well, I did miss it, so just thought I'd put it up, just in case.
Good watch

It's the Channel 7 doco they did early last year. For something that looks like was done by the Today Tonight crew it isn't too bad.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Should be expecting another bumper crowd Wednesday night now we're a chance at a home final.

Maybe not quite as the previous 2, going to be a stinker next Wednesday.

With good weather and IF the slack ass SACA Members turn up then we should get 45,000 again.

It was pathetic that the members was a third empty on NYE when the rest of the stadium was so full and bursting.

With good weather and IF the slack ass SACA Members turn up then we should get 45,000 again.

It was pathetic that the members was a third empty on NYE when the rest of the stadium was so full and bursting.
It was a grossly-hot day. And NYE. Kinda a lot of other things going on that night.
Public tickets, if people have bought them, they'll use them pretty much regardless of the weather, and you'd only buy tix for NYE if you know you can go.
SACA Members have a season pass and it's non-transferable. Not like anyone goes "Oh I can't go to NYE, better not renew my membership this year".
I know it's annoying for people if they can't get a ticket or anything like that, but it's the way it happens when you have an area set aside for your season-pass holders to come in as they please.
Guest pass allocation was sold out for the night but that allocation would have been decided upon before they knew it'd be weather comparable to Hades that day.

I will be over there in R1 and am thinking about going to the Port Adelaide vs St Kilda game. I'll be more than likely buying a ticket when the go on sale in March or whenever it is. What sort of areas are available to the public and where is generally the best place to sit?

I will be over there in R1 and am thinking about going to the Port Adelaide vs St Kilda game. I'll be more than likely buying a ticket when the go on sale in March or whenever it is. What sort of areas are available to the public and where is generally the best place to sit?

For you, you'd probably want the Northern section behind the goals, bays 146 & 145 http://www.adelaideoval.com.au/library/151130_AO_WebsiteMaps_1.pdf

that's where most of St Kilda cheer squad will probably sit. With it being Easter weekend there probably will be a lot more travelling than normal obviously as well, so get in early to get a good seat.

The stands and the atmosphere are great, but the size and shape of the Adelaide Oval playing surface is a farce, for both cricket and football. They had an opportunity to correct it when the upgrades were done, and made the ground a tiny bit wider, but they didn't do it enough. In the words of the great Ronald Hitler Barrasi, "It's brilliant, it's unique, it's shithouse."

The stands and the atmosphere are great, but the size and shape of the Adelaide Oval playing surface is a farce, for both cricket and football. They had an opportunity to correct it when the upgrades were done, and made the ground a tiny bit wider, but they didn't do it enough. In the words of the great Ronald Hitler Barrasi, "It's brilliant, it's unique, it's shithouse."

What's wrong with the playing surface? It's no Eden Park

What's wrong with the playing surface? It's no Eden Park

It's still too long and narrow, and the off-centre pitch positioning just makes it even worse.

170m x 150m between the boundaries, and 190m x 170m between the fences should be the ideal size for grounds used for footy and cricket. Rope it in and move the seating in (a la Etihad Stadium) to 150m x 150m for cricket, so we have proper, uniform 75m boundaries right around. Obviously established grounds are harder to change, but when you've got the opportunity to correct the farcical elements of your playing surface, and you (in typical Adelaide fashion) half-arse it, well, I can't excuse that.

It's still too long and narrow, and the off-centre pitch positioning just makes it even worse.

170m x 150m between the boundaries, and 190m x 170m between the fences should be the ideal size for grounds used for footy and cricket. Rope it in and move the seating in (a la Etihad Stadium) to 150m x 150m for cricket, so we have proper, uniform 75m boundaries right around. Obviously established grounds are harder to change, but when you've got the opportunity to correct the farcical elements of your playing surface, and you (in typical Adelaide fashion) half-arse it, well, I can't excuse that.

But isn't the unique (and IMO great) thing about footy and cricket grounds is the lack of uniformity.

There is nothing wrong with the dimensions of Adelaide Oval, and they certainly aren't farcical.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back