Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

But 5 days of dry weather to a water logged hill with lots of feet, it would churn up quickly.

IMO, which means little, they knew they could vanish the hill and scoreboard straight away. But I would imagine by 2020 that will be a stadium and the scoreboard will no longer be there but in a sport museum (where it should be)!

I reckon a fitting tribute would be to have it near the Oval somewhere. Maybe incorporated with the statues they are putting up, or in the park in front of the VIctor Richardson Gates. Are they staying?

But yeah it is a relic from the past that is not needed in a modern ground. I am not that sure it will look that great next to the modern stands.

I reckon a fitting tribute would be to have it near the Oval somewhere. Maybe incorporated with the statues they are putting up, or in the park in front of the VIctor Richardson Gates. Are they staying?

But yeah it is a relic from the past that is not needed in a modern ground. I am not that sure it will look that great next to the modern stands.

Yes, agree, I understand it's place in our Oval's history, but it's a relic, actually an eye saw and bloody hard to read IMO.

INear the gates would look god aweful too. Park it in the museum, make it tourable and interactive, even have 3d screen in front of holes so if you look through it you can see Bradman hitting a ball or Ponting hitting another tone! You know the drill.

I don't get the hate for the scoreboard. Ok, for football, you don't need a grand scoreboard, but it's still one of the best scoreboads in world cricket. You can rock up at any stage of any cricket match (and, in particular, test/first class matches) and the scoreboard can give you a complete snapshot of where the game is at. As great video scoreboards are, they cannot provide the details of a cricket match the Adelaide Oval scoreboard can provide. I've taken MCG and SCG tours in the past where even their guides talk about how great the Adelaide Oval scoreboard is compared to modern scoreboards.

I notice there are many non-SA people saying that the hill should go. I guess its mainly non-SA people beacause they have never experienced the atmosphere of watching a cricket or footy game on a packed out hill. It truely is one of the great Australian sporting experiences and many South Australians are more than pleased that it will be staying.

This. From a Vic. One of the best days test cricket l have ever had was spent on that hill. Superb. Good drinking too.

I don't get the hate for the scoreboard. Ok, for football, you don't need a grand scoreboard, but it's still one of the best scoreboads in world cricket. You can rock up at any stage of any cricket match (and, in particular, test/first class matches) and the scoreboard can give you a complete snapshot of where the game is at. As great video scoreboards are, they cannot provide the details of a cricket match the Adelaide Oval scoreboard can provide. I've taken MCG and SCG tours in the past where even their guides talk about how great the Adelaide Oval scoreboard is compared to modern scoreboards.

One of the reasons why I love the WACA scoreboard as well.

Hill never got that bad when Port were playing footy on it in the 70's?

And it will have more maintenence now then it would back then i would presume

It would make more sense for the current capacity to be listed and then changed as it increases.
No point. The redevelopment starts in a few weeks so capacity will be continuously changing between then and 2014. Final capacity by the way will be 54,600. 4,600 standing. Not sure how they got exact figure, surely was a rough estimate though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with Miss Stark, they should definitely know how many seats there are, and how much standing room is available.

I just realised i have somewhat neglected this thread.

I have updated the OP with the correct image. And I think having the post-completion capacity makes most sense, as Stewie says the capacity is going to change continuously, and in reality it is not an AFL venue yet. The Skoda thread has the final capacity listed, not a constantly updated figure based on where construction is at.

So at the risk of creating a bitch-fight, how should the stadium be opened in regards to hosting rights?

I have heard a Showdown in round 1 2014, but I think this is a bad idea. Firstly, it means a big fight over who should host it, and whoever doesn't will bitch and moan forever and a day.

IMO, the fairest thing to do would be have a showdown in round 3, and have each team host a match each in round 1 and 2. Whoever hosts round 1, is the away team for the Showdown. This way both theams get a slice of history - one team gets the first match at the redeveloped ground, the other gets the first showdown. Lets not forget that Port have already hosted the first actual match so they already have one up on the Crows there.

It also means that both teams can have their own "first game at the new stadium" fanfare without the other club being involved, and both can make it a big individual event for their own supporters/members.

Anybody else have any thoughts on this?

Port have already been there, not fussed either way

I would give Crows round 1, POrt home games there 2 and 3 (round 3 is the showdown)

In round 1? Or do u like the idea of each team having their own home game at the stadium before the first showdown?

I believe A.D. has already locked in a Friday night round 1 showdown

I tend to agree the scoreboard is outdated and should be removed from the hill. I would like to see it in front of the current Victor Richardson gates facing King William St. promoting the upcoming games. With all the traffic going past it would add to the anticipation leading up to the weekend.

I tend to agree the scoreboard is outdated and should be removed from the hill. I would like to see it in front of the current Victor Richardson gates facing King William St. promoting the upcoming games. With all the traffic going past it would add to the anticipation leading up to the weekend.

Being heritage listed and all I don't think they could do it even if they wanted to.

Will be armed with a camera this weekend so may take a few snaps while I'm in Adelaide for Crows-Dogs before heading to Footy Park. Hopefully I'll get them to The Site if not here.

I wonder if, and it would not surprise me, if the Hill will be a dry zone.

I can't imagine in this day and age of the AFL being akin to a "nanny state" that they will want people standing in such a large area that is in sight of TV cameras and have people drinking to excess.

If they do, they may as well put seats there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back