Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

At each end of the western stand level 3 they have now set up what looks to be areas that can have food/beverage sales set-up when needed. They've covered it over and there are roller-doors which I think, behind them, will be areas a bit like on the decking behind the hill, where you set up your hotdog stall or bbq or whatever.

Someone on Sensational Adelaide says the southern stand will be known as the Torrens Stand - they managed to pick it out under the black tape covering the name on all the signs.

Hoping this may remove the use of "City End" from the vocabulary of the cricket ground announcer of recent seasons. "Torrens End" would be closer to the correct "River End".

Someone on Sensational Adelaide says the southern stand will be known as the Torrens Stand - they managed to pick it out under the black tape covering the name on all the signs.

Hoping this may remove the use of "City End" from the vocabulary of the cricket ground announcer of recent seasons. "Torrens End" would be closer to the correct "River End".

Yeah I saw that, nice pick up by them!

Nice simple name that makes sense.

Wonder what the Eastern Stand will be called?

Yeah I saw that, nice pick up by them!

Nice simple name that makes sense.

Wonder what the Eastern Stand will be called?
Pretty sure Eastern Stand will get Football names, as Western Stand gets/has Cricket names.

It's already got names for the 5 "pavilions" (all of which are football identities), but was wondering if the stand as a whole would have an official name.
How are there 5 pavillions in the Eastern Stand? Unless they're dividing it under the roofing sections:
precast-adelaide-oval-redevelopment-1-big.jpg

Also, I read that Bradman, Sir Edwin Smith, and the Chappells will get pavillions in the Western Stand. That's 3 (Unless Ian, Greg, and Trevor each get their own, which I doubt), so who gets the other 2 spots? Lehmann? Gillespie? Ridings (has lost his gate at the south end)? Richardson (same deal)?

EDIT: And how could I forget South Australia's Leading Lady of women's cricket, Karen Rolton? She's gotta be in the running!

Toilet facilities are more than satisfactory IMO (there's mens/womens/disabled next to every entrance), but food outlets are definitely limited (on the top level I don't think theres any?)

There's construction currently occurring towards the southern end of the western stand, were you referring to that? Not sure what they're doing there, but it was blocked off by fencing.

The work at the end of the Western stand looks to be for the West/south cross over bridge under the big screen. The area blocked off is just the work on the entrance to that bridge I assume.

Yeah, each section is named after a footballer.
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2259/
The list of greats and their location within the Oval is as follows:

Bob Quinn (dual Magarey Medallist with Port Adelaide) - Bob Quinn Gate (adjacent to the Clarrie Grimmett Gate at the northern end)

William Magarey (First chairman of the South Australian Football Association, creator of the Magarey Medal) - The William Magarey Room (City view dining room in the Southern Stand)

Gavin Wanganeen (Brownlow Medallist, premiership player with Essendon and Port Adelaide)

Jack Oatey (Norwood and Sturt legend, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee)

Max Basheer (the SANFL’s longest serving President, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee)

Fos Williams (Port Adelaide legend, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee)

Mark Ricciuto (Brownlow Medallist and Adelaide Crows premiership player)
The name of each individual will adorn one of the five pavilions of the new Eastern Stand

Graham Cornes (Glenelg champion, inaugural Adelaide Football Club coach, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee) - The Graham Cornes Deck (BBQ deck on the northern end of the Eastern Stand)

Rick Davies (Sturt champion, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee) - The Rick Davies Stadium Club Bar (Eastern Stand)

Neil Kerley (SANFL premiership player and coach, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee) - The Neil Kerley Members’ Bar (Southern Stand)

Lindsay Head (Triple Magarey Medallist and premiership player with West Torrens, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee) - The Lindsay Head Terrace (Southern Stand)

Bob Hank (Dual Magarey Medallist with West Torrens, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee)
Len Fitzgerald (Collingwood and Sturt legend, triple Magarey Medallist, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee) - The names of Bob Hank and Len Fitzgerald will adorn the two bridges that link the Southern and Eastern stands on levels 4 and 3 respectively

John Cahill (Port Adelaide premiership player and coach, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee)
Andrew McLeod (Dual Adelaide Football Club premiership player, duel Norm Smith Medallist, member of the Indigenous Team of the Century) - The John Cahill & Andrew McLeod Room in the Southern Stand will offer views of the AFC and PAFC warm up areas

Peter Carey (Glenelg premiership player and games record holder, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee) - The Peter Carey Bar in the Southern Stand
John Halbert (Sturt premiership captain and coach, Magarey Medallist)
John Platten (Magarey Medallist, Brownlow Medallist, four-time Hawthorn premiership player, Australian Football Hall of Fame inductee) - The John Halbert Room will be located in the Eastern Stand; The John Platten Bar will be located within The John Halbert Room

Leigh Whicker (Sturt player, SANFL Executive Commissioner, SANFL and AFL Life Member) - The Leigh Whicker League Room (Southern Stand)

Garry McIntosh (Norwood premiership player, captain and games record holder, dual Magarey Medallist) - The Garry McIntosh Bar will be located on the ground level of the Eastern Stand
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/2259/

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nice!! It may have already been covered but is the temporary fence remaining on the eastern and southern boundaries for the ashes or are they laying turf on these so the full oval is used?

RussellEbertHandball explained this on the Port Board

I spoke to SMA CEO Andrew Daniels on Level 3 of the Southern Stand for about 15 minutes whilst waiting for a mate to rock up and then after play finished, my mates friend knows curator Damian Hough and we bumped into him as we were walking towards the northern gates and chatted to him for about 15 minutes.

By next Friday the grass will be put in at the southern end all the way to the southern grandstand fence, that I mentioned in my previous post. In some spots they only need a couple of metres and other positions they need about 15 metres. Both told me that the playing boundary rope will go right up to where the existing temporary construction fence and temporary site screen is. They both said that they will try and minimise what new soil and grass that goes in this week, will be inside the boundary rope and playing field.

Andrew Daniels confirmed that where the boundary rope in front of the western grandstand is, will be where the boundary will be for footy. He said that artificial turf that goes from about 15m north of the southern corner of the western stand to the site screen of the northern end, but will eventually go all the way round the ground.

He said that next week they will fill in the eastern side of the ground which as you can see below has a gap of about 12 metres. He said they will leave about 4m of soil between fence of level 1 and the playing surface as they need that for the machines to drive along to finish off the eastern stand. That 4m gap will be filled in with the artificial grass. I didn't ask if they are putting artificial grass at the southern end.

I asked about soccer and he said that the A league finals will happen after the cricket pitch is taken out so it won't be a problem for the finals if Adelaide United want to play there. He said no game before the finals has been negotiated for AO. I looked up the A league fixture and the final will clash with the footy weekends April 17-20, April 24-27 and GF is May 4.

When I spoke to curator Damian Hough he said the pitch is 200mm of soil and turf on a concrete slab. They have 8 wickets/slabs. He said they are growing the turf for the footy on another 8 concrete slabs so it will be a straight swap after the season's end. I had a chat to him about the machinery and also about the preparation for the Test.

He said the drop in wickets are playing pretty flat and will probably continue to be that way. We talked about if he could leave it a green top and he said it has crossed his mind but it wouldn't be AO if he prepared it that way. He is pretty happy how the outfield and pitch is progressing. A lot of work goes into the area in the back of the western grandstand, the workers had done a fair bit of damage to the area where Boof's and Dizzy's statutes are and the village green area takes up a lot of Oval no. 2 and there are a lot of poles driven into the soil for the marquees. He reckons that they had to develop a system with a cement base that they could drive the poles into those spots otherwise they would always be ripping up the soil and drainage. Based on what I saw the set was going to be, I wouldn't be surprised if 5,000 people are out the back during most of the first 3 days of the Test.

The little bit of level 3 we were allowed access to and could see was fantastic. The City View Restaurant 2 weeks ago was renamed The William Magarey Room. Its views are spectacular. We weren't allowed in so I stood at the door and used my zoom lense to take some photo's looking towards the city. It will be open 365 days a year and will sit 700 at a fully catered function.

Spoke to one of the catering supervisors who has been working at AO since the western grandstand was opened in 2010. He confirmed that the idea is that the venue will be open 365 days a year for functions, using all of the catering rooms in all 3 stands. He said there was a permanent catering staff of over 40, which confirms what I've been saying that the original SMA operating budget $2mil and only 20 staff was a farcical model.

Hi guys,

Myself and 9 mates are flying over from Vic to head to Days 2&4 of the test and none of us have been to the Adelaide Oval before. We just have general admission tickets for the Hill. Regarding the Village Green (judging by some googled images), is it just a spot where you can sit down under cover (shade sails and whatnot) and have a beer, watch the action on screens, etc?

Apologies if it's a silly question, very much newbies to the ground and couldn't find a lot of info on the net. Cheers.

Hi guys,

Myself and 9 mates are flying over from Vic to head to Days 2&4 of the test and none of us have been to the Adelaide Oval before. We just have general admission tickets for the Hill. Regarding the Village Green (judging by some googled images), is it just a spot where you can sit down under cover (shade sails and whatnot) and have a beer, watch the action on screens, etc?

Apologies if it's a silly question, very much newbies to the ground and couldn't find a lot of info on the net. Cheers.

The Village Green is only open to members I believe, although it may be different this year due to the redevelopments. If it is open to everyone though, then yeah it is shaded with a lot of screens around the place to watch.

Haha, cheers guys. Wouldn't want to be stuck in with the toffs anyway ;)

Can't wait to check out the redevelopments and obviously the cricket. Whilst I've got a couple of locals, what's the best way to get to the Oval from Glenelg beachfront? Bus, taxi, etc? Money isn't too much of an issue as we'll be splitting it 10 ways.

Mate you can catch the Tram all the way from Glenelg to the Adelaide Train Station stop. Once you're there, get off, walk through to the new footbridge over the River Torrens and straight into the Oval!

If you're GA its probably better to use the king william bridge as I'm assuming you will have to enter through the northern gate

Remove this Banner Ad

Back