brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Given Sheffield Shield and State 50 over games are to be played at Brighton Oval, it is turning into a Footy ground with the occasional Test Match ODI and T20 match being played there.

Some Redbacks matches will be played at Glenelg Oval, not Brighton Oval (hence all the work being down at Glenelg Oval)

shifty mp

Debutant
Feb 26, 2010
Arthurs Creek
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Toro Rosso
Given Sheffield Shield and State 50 over games are to be played at Brighton Oval, it is turning into a Footy ground with the occasional Test Match ODI and T20 match being played there.

& the difference with the MCG is ... maybe the SACA kicks in for SA cricket v the MCC (aka the cricket club) gives to club members, for club members, at the expense of footy fans.

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
Hasn't been posted here yet. This is the virtual tour of a completed Adelaide Oval. [YOUTUBE]VkIgk_tzA7k&feature=player_embedded[/YOUTUBE]

Docker Clint

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 7, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Sturt
Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
I believe he's referring to the WACA scoreboard and that West Australians know what it's like to be one of the few remaining stadia with an old style cricket scoreboard.

The WACA scoreboard is brilliant.

It actually has so much more information than the MCG scoreboard.

Stewies Power

Premiership Player
Sep 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aus Cricket Team & F1 Ricciardo
Up until I saw that, I was convinced that there'd be a spanner in the works and it wouldn't go ahead. Point of no return now and nice to see that one of the hundreds of artists impressions presented over the decades will actually become reality.

Vale the Bradman Stand, we hardly knew ye.
Bradman Stand was a spud stand anyway. Only thing it had going for it was who it was named after. Chappel stands weren't much better. They looked temporary (the middle stand actually was meant to be temporary, but in the last few years they just couldn't be stuffed taking it back down). Even though the stands weren't the best they somehow managed to create the picturesque look that Adelaide Oval had.

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Western Force, Rabbitohs, Glory
[YOUTUBE]8VJcgNSfhHw[/YOUTUBE]

Adelaide United weren't happy, charities not happy but 8,000 seats were given away to local sporting clubs for free.

and Adelaide United have every right not to be happy, that was a blatant soccer hate from the SACA.

Hellgood

Cancelled
10k Posts
May 21, 2006
WA
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Conspiracy!!!

Looks much more like a short sighted decision, probably should have just donated all the seats to local clubs and there wouldn't have been a problem.

finders

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 24, 2004
Brighton
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Cricket,Olympics,F1GP,Tennis,Boxing
Looking at those pics they are sure not wasting anytime!

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
And if the project was pushed out by 3 months because of the extra time spent dismantling the seats, we'd have people up in arms because of unnecessary delays saving 'junk, crappy seats'.

Also, take no notice of Gerard - he's becoming another Clive Palmer, and was going to get Palmer to sponsor Adelaide United until the FFA stepped in.

The sails would have, at best, looked tacky at Hindmarsh anyway.

Luigi742

Team Captain
Jan 18, 2012
Perth
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Western Force, Rabbitohs, Glory
Soccer hate? Are you fair dinkum?

If they were able to be easily moved and they wanted to piss soccer off, i'm sure they could have moved them to a SANFL venue.

I kinda regret saying it. I was in a bad mood and didn't really know all the facts.

Jan 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Some new pics and new renders from the sensational-adelaide website.

img1870x.jpg

img1868u.jpg

img1858yl.jpg

img1857e.jpg

img1856sc.jpg

img1855ul.jpg

This an old render of the re-development

15popuplarge1.jpg

These are the latest renders

southplazamresg6.jpg

gapmresg5.jpg

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Drove past the oval today for the first time in a couple of weeks. Quite surreal to see the amount of work already done and the ground currently a pile of rubble on the south and eastern sides with the Western stand becoming more prominent as a result.

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...at-adelaide-oval/story-e6freck3-1226333776041

So the seated capacity is 50,000, and with the additional 3,000 (or 4,500 depending on sources) standing room tickets, there's every chance that big games and finals will edge past 50,000.

Also, those images from sensational adelaide brought me immense joy. I had a read of that forum, and I really like the new idea to have the Eastern Stand's stairwells covered in vines. It'll look a bit rubbish during winter, but in summer it'll look amazing.

file.php

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America
I did the same thing just then.

Getting the lift down looked out the foyer window and I can see the actual oval, where before it was the Bradman Stand.

Last Monday it was there.

The Chappel Stands wont take long. Especially the middle "Trevor" stand. A strong gust of wind will see that down.

My desk looks out over the oval. I obviously hadn't paid much attention because when I looked out the window this morning my reaction was Holy s**t half the oval is gone!!

I didn't expect it to happen so fast!

Remember that the Western Stand redevelopment was held up by the need to retain the arches and parts of the old dressing room which were incorporated into the new design. None of those factors are in play with the new redevelopments, it's just rip 'em out and put 'em up.

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Any word on the stand names?

Surely Bradman, Ebert, Tredders, Jarman, Chappell, Modra, Macca, Wangas and Roo would be the shortlist

Are they going to name the currently unnamed stands as well?

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Any word on the stand names?

Surely Bradman, Ebert, Treadera, Jarman, Chappell, Modra, Macca, Wangas and Roo would be the shortlist

Are they going to name the currently unnamed stands as well?
I understand the old names will be returning to the western stands (Sir Edwin Smith, George Giffen, Mostyn Evan).

Apr 13, 2006
The Bitter End
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I understand the old names will be returning to the western stands (Sir Edwin Smith, George Giffen, Mostyn Evan).

I strongly disagree with this. Those guys have been there for 100 years, time to give someone else a turn, someone more relevant to people living today. I'm an avid lover of history, but now these stands have been consigned to history, I think it's time for some new blood.

Back