Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

I am an "Essential Power" member with an unreserved ticket to the Western Stand. I am thinking about going on the waitlist for the Adelaide Oval footy membership so I can go to some Crows games as well.

Two questions: 1. do any existing AO Footy Members think it is worth the $500 per year (plus joining fees etc), and
2. how long is the wait likely to be? Are we probably talking next year, or when I retire in 20 years, or somewhere in between?

I can't answer the first question as I'm not a SMA member, but in regards to the second question, I think may only have to wait a couple of years if you join the list now.

I am an "Essential Power" member with an unreserved ticket to the Western Stand. I am thinking about going on the waitlist for the Adelaide Oval footy membership so I can go to some Crows games as well.

Two questions: 1. do any existing AO Footy Members think it is worth the $500 per year (plus joining fees etc), and
2. how long is the wait likely to be? Are we probably talking next year, or when I retire in 20 years, or somewhere in between?

Nah * that. All your money from these type of memberships goes to the SANFL. I'd rather give my money to Palmer United.

I have found it worth it, keeping mind you get the other Showdown plus you have lets say four 'big' games a year where if you are a football fan you would enjoy. I'm a Crows supporter but have the full membership and have been finding I am going to Port games. That is mainly as Port are playing well and they are good games, there were times at AAMI when the thought of watching Port play a lowly placed team wasn't that exciting. I am sure it would be the same in reverse for the Crows. Not sure if that really answers your question.

Just on the members area I think next year I am going to have to get a reserved seat. I find at the moment I have to get to games soon after the gates open to get any kind of decent seat for both Crows and Port. I'd love to stop and have a beer in the city on the way to the game but I feel like I need to rush.

Nah **** that. All your money from these type of memberships goes to the SANFL. I'd rather give my money to Palmer United.
Good point. I would still feel the need to get a non-attendance membership from Port. It might be easier and cheaper to renew my essential power membership and just buy a basic membership for the Crows matches. Would still be more than AO membership, but at least the clubs get the money. Is there any GA seating for crows, or just standing room?

Last year I paid $5 with my ticket for the Port Showdown, so nothing to complain about only 25 cents more.
The fees change per Event I've noticed.
Etihad Stadium (ticketmaster) is $7 AFL/A-League regular season matches yet $9 for finals.
AAMI Park (ticketek) is $3 for lower rating games (all 4 clubs) yet $5.95 for the derby matches between Melb City (Heart) v Melb Victory or big Victory matches which sell out.

The fees change per Event I've noticed.
Etihad Stadium (ticketmaster) is $7 AFL/A-League regular season matches yet $9 for finals.
AAMI Park (ticketek) is $3 for lower rating games (all 4 clubs) yet $5.95 for the derby matches between Melb City (Heart) v Melb Victory or big Victory matches which sell out.
I really do hate those companies.

I wouldn't say stripped.
Not like it's permanent.
With less normal matches due to the world cup, there's been bidding wars.

We beat out Perth for the test.
And Sydney won the bid for the Australia Day ODI.

Adelaide Oval has lost the Australia Day ODI to the SCG.

I'm ropable about this. We just built a 50k+ stadium, what does the SCG hold? this is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'm so ropable I won't go to any redbacks game weather it SS or Ryobi Cup or the test match.

SACA members will be seething.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm ropable about this. We just built a 50k+ stadium, what does the SCG hold? this is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'm so ropable I won't go to any redbacks game weather it SS or Ryobi Cup or the test match.

SACA members will be seething.

Just for the world cup though, right?
Not sure. Last time we lost it was because of the renovations in 2013. This time it appears we've just been overlooked for the SCG. Would have been nice to see a full redeveloped Adelaide Oval for cricket in Australia, but oh well. Hopefully we can still get 40k+ to each of the first few days of the Indian Test.

I'm sure it'll go back to normal scheduling after the world cup is over. They probably had the competing priorities of needing an India game in Sydney, but also needing India for Australia Day as well (their national day is the same date as ours) so they killed two birds with one stone.

I'm sure it'll go back to normal scheduling after the world cup is over. They probably had the competing priorities of needing an India game in Sydney, but also needing India for Australia Day as well (their national day is the same date as ours) so they killed two birds with one stone.

And they can't celebrate Australia Day in Adelaide?

We may as well secede...

Sydney will get the New Years Test between Australia and India as well. They also host the semi final of the cricket world cup which Australia will feature in providing they make it that far. Adelaide Oval will likely host the 2nd Test in December and an ODI in January, neither of which are special occasions like the New Years Test or Australia Day ODI. We will get a quarter final in the world cup involving Australia however. Strange move by CA to take away Aus Day from Adelaide.

And they can't celebrate Australia Day in Adelaide?

We may as well secede...

Must be a contractual agreement with the NSW govt or Cricket NSW or something. Normally they play two ODI's in Sydney and Melbourne plus the test matches.

I'm a Victorian so I agree with you guys, but you South Aussies can rest assured that this probably won't turn out like the Grand Prix.

Sydney ... also host the semi final of the cricket world cup which Australia will feature in providing they make it that far. Adelaide Oval ... will get a quarter final in the world cup involving Australia however. Strange move by CA to take away Aus Day from Adelaide.
People gotta remember CA doesn't schedule the CWC matches. That's the CWC organising committee.
Doesn't matter who got what CWC matches.

I wouldn't say stripped.
Not like it's permanent.
With less normal matches due to the world cup, there's been bidding wars.

We beat out Perth for the test.
And Sydney won the bid for the Australia Day ODI.
CA have come out today and said we will still get a ODI but not on our traditional date. This to me makes the decision even worse.

And CA have set us up to fail by giving us a T20 Aus vs Sth Africa on November 7th when nobody is even thinking about cricket and the surface will look absolutely trashed due to the Rolling Stones concert held 12 days earlier.

Hopefully we can crack 35,000 for this game, but with most tickets for these games being $100 for under cover I doubt we will get this many.

When we get a small crowd for the T20 CA will say they were right to take Aus Day off us.

And CA have set us up to fail by giving us a T20 Aus vs Sth Africa on November 7th when nobody is even thinking about cricket and the surface will look absolutely trashed due to the Rolling Stones concert held 12 days earlier.

When we get a small crowd for the T20 CA will say they were right to take Aus Day off us.
We get a T20I every what, 4 years? Last one was 2 Ashes summers ago now.
Shall we take a T20I game when it's scheduled or say no due to the date?
I think it's a bit ironic to complain about not getting an ODI on a specific date, then complain about getting a T20I due to the date.
12 days is a good amount of time to replace some turf if needed and have it settle in.

Like with not getting an Aus Day ODI a couple of years ago, there are circumstances. Back then it was a reduced capacity. Now it is a World Cup.
Notice how everybody cried foul back then and said we'd never get it back (even though we were told we would), and the next year "we won it back" (even though we were told we only missed it for a year).
Yes it's happened twice in a short timeframe but on prior form, I'd say we're a good chance of having a match Australia Day 2016.

As for playing an ODI but not in Adelaide on Australia Day, I don't know the logic behind that bit etiher. Perhaps to help Sydney get a crowd, while we will get one regardless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back