MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Sturt, Southampton FC, LSU
I could actually stomach the decision more if we had no ODI this summer due to the reduced number of fixtures across all formats. But to give our Australia Day ODI to Sydney and replace it with one on another date :mad:

I don't know why every sporting body is obsessed with putting stuff in Sydney when they've shown throughout history that they're the least dedicated sports fans in the country by some distance.

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
I'm ropable about this. We just built a 50k+ stadium, what does the SCG hold? this is wrong, wrong, wrong.

I'm so ropable I won't go to any redbacks game weather it SS or Ryobi Cup or the test match.

SACA members will be seething.
Honestly who cares? You are still going to get cricket at Adelaide Oval during the summer.

No wonder this state is a laughing stock!

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Honestly who cares? You are still going to get cricket at Adelaide Oval during the summer.

No wonder this state is a laughing stock!
Are you a cricket fan Nelso?
If you're not, then "honestly who cares?" about your opinion on hosting cricket.

I did find one argument quite amusing.
There's a large argument about spreading around the marquee games, share ANZAC day (Coll-Ess), kickoff (Carl-Rich), QB (Coll-Melb), Easter (Geel-Haw), Draemtime (Ess-Rich), yet when a sporting organisation (in this case, CA) does share it a little and move Australia Day to Sydney, there's uproar about it.

I for one don't care too much about cricket so don't have thoughts one way or the other about it, but when you see people argue one point for football, yet the complete other point in the same situation for Cricket. The hypocrisy is quite amusing.

Apr 16, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I did find one argument quite amusing.
There's a large argument about spreading around the marquee games, share ANZAC day (Coll-Ess), kickoff (Carl-Rich), QB (Coll-Melb), Easter (Geel-Haw), Draemtime (Ess-Rich), yet when a sporting organisation (in this case, CA) does share it a little and move Australia Day to Sydney, there's uproar about it.

I for one don't care too much about cricket so don't have thoughts one way or the other about it, but when you see people argue one point for football, yet the complete other point in the same situation for Cricket. The hypocrisy is quite amusing.

what a stupid comparison. this decision is more like taking queens birthday from melbourne and giving it to essendon.

poor old sydney needs a little help from CA with adelaide hogging all the best fixtures :rolleyes:

May 7, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
49érs, SF Giants, GS Warriors
Are you a cricket fan Nelso?
If you're not, then "honestly who cares?" about your opinion on hosting cricket.
I am a cricket fan.

Who gives a s**t about the "day" you go to the cricket as you still get to see it.

So what is so special about watching the cricket on Australia Day than any other day? You get to see some ceremony before the game starts where the national anthem is played. Whoopee s**t!!!!!

Justinpa1

Club Legend
Oct 21, 2013
Salisbury Downs
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood Redlegs, Liverpool FC,49ers
An article states from the Sunday mail today that we will only get the India Test match on 12-16 December and T20 on the 7th November. That is it for the whole Summer of International Cricket!

To make it worse the Australian team for the T20 in November will have ZERO TEST players in it due to the tour of Pakistan, so that means no Warner and co, that will make it harder to sell tickets too.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I am a cricket fan.

Who gives a s**t about the "day" you go to the cricket as you still get to see it.

So what is so special about watching the cricket on Australia Day than any other day? You get to see some ceremony before the game starts where the national anthem is played. Whoopee s**t!!!!!
Ok no worries. Sounded like you were an anti-cricket person weighing in on the argument. I also am not overly fussed if we get Australia Day or not. I will miss it but I'm not crying.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
An article states from the Sunday mail today that we will only get the India Test match on 12-16 December and T20 on the 7th November. That is it for the whole Summer of International Cricket!

To make it worse the Australian team for the T20 in November will have ZERO TEST players in it due to the tour of Pakistan, so that means no Warner and co, that will make it harder to sell tickets too.
So we still get an Australia Test and an Australia Limited-Overs game.
Why would Test players be in the T20I squad?
They're about to play a Test series then a World Cup.
Oh, you mean multi-format players. They're not gonna be wearing their Baggy Greens out there.

So
Either, we play less cricket, and thus Adelaide gets less cricket
or
We play less important games without some big players so they can play the important games
or
We can play the big players in 3 relatively minor T20 games in November and then have them injured in the WC finals and not make the final of out home WC.

Your choice.

If it was your footy team, would you rather get 11 home games with big players rested to prevent injury, see 8 home games because we play less games, or play 11 home games and have the big players injured right before the finals?

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
We also get a warm-up game before the World Cup between Australia and India, confirmed by Leon Bignall on radio (also aligns with SACA claim to members that there is no less international cricket this summer).

Vikingblood

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 4, 2012
Catfish City
AFL Club
Adelaide
does anybody think that the capacity should of been made more e.g. 60,000 ??

I think there was too much comparing with crowds at Aami...Now that football is in the city people actually want to go. It is hard to get a ticket...good luck during finals etc

ANd i know people are going to say the novelty will wear off... truth is i don't think it will. i believe football in the city is bringing people to the game who normally would never of gone...thus bigger crowds therefore capacity should be more IMO.

To those who can't get a ticket it's probably not a good thing, but commercially it is strong to have demand for tickets. Makes it easier to pre-sell memberships and packages. I still think there is some degree of novelty factor at AO right now and that the crowds wil taper off to a degree next year.

If I'm wrong on that score, there is always scope to redevelop to increase capacity, but history would say the capacity is just about spot on for our population.

WildWestin

Senior List
May 4, 2014
AFL Club
Adelaide
The place to be before and or after the big game.
image.jpg

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
I did a little exercise comparing this summer's schedule to last year. Despite the apparent squeeze due to the World Cup there are actually more days of international cricket in 2014/15 than 2013/14 - you can probably guess which cities got the extra days :rolleyes:. (excuse my terrible formatting)

2013/14 total 2014/15 total
Test ODI T20 Test ODI T20
Adelaide 1 1 0 6 1 0 1 6
Brisbane 1 1 0 6 1 1 0 6
Canberra 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
Hobart 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1
Melbourne 1 1 1 7 1 2 1 8
Perth 1 1 0 6 0 4 0 4
Sydney 1 1 1 7 1 3 1 9

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
I did a little exercise comparing this summer's schedule to last year. Despite the apparent squeeze due to the World Cup there are actually more days of international cricket in 2014/15 than 2013/14 - you can probably guess which cities got the extra days :rolleyes:. (excuse my terrible formatting)

2013/14 total 2014/15 total
Test ODI T20 Test ODI T20
Adelaide 1 1 0 6 1 0 1 6
Brisbane 1 1 0 6 1 1 0 6
Canberra 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1
Hobart 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1
Melbourne 1 1 1 7 1 2 1 8
Perth 1 1 0 6 0 4 0 4
Sydney 1 1 1 7 1 3 1 9
So Adelaide still gets 6 days of International Cricket. Cry me a river.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
So Adelaide still gets 6 days of International Cricket. Cry me a river.

Not all days are created equal - we've lost our marquee limited-overs fixture to a city that already had the most fixtures and also has a superior slate of World Cup games. The point is that CA spun this as a necessary measure due to the World Cup when it is nothing of the sort.

The Crows get 11 home games every year - happy for them all to be in the 12.40pm Sunday timeslot?

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
Plus, I'd rather be in the Adelaide Oval boat and get 6 days of cricket, comprised of a Test and a T20I, but miss out on Australia Day, than be in the WACA boat and have two less days of cricket, with no Test and 4 one-dayers which are largely just an extended warmup for the World Cup.
We still have a Test.
We still have a Limited-Overs game.

MrKK

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 11, 2012
City of churches
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
If Perth got Australia Day as a one-off compensation this summer for losing their Test match then that would be OK with me, but giving it to the city that has a dream fixture list handed to it every year and still struggles to pull more crowds than us with 5x the population really grinds my gears.

hitthepost

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 26, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Actually pretty neutral
So Josep Gombau wants Australia Day at Adelaide Oval for United.
Sounds good in theory.
But.
In practice:
  • Who will pay to remove the cricket pitches from the centre and then return them? Given there are now drop-ins, I'm not sure United would be happy playing on a mid-summer pitch block like they have in the past. Their round 2 game would be on a fully-grassed oval, with the pitches being dropped in afterwards.
  • With the World Cup being the reason behind AO not getting cricket on Australia Day this summer, there is still the chance it will go back to "normal" in 2015/16. Should this occur, "owning Australia Day at Adelaide Oval" will last only one year.
  • United are scheduled to play Newcastle Jets. Last season's home games against this opponent got 10,000-odd spectators each. One would assume an increase given the game will be on Australia Day and there's no cricket in Adelaide, but enough to warrant moving the game from Coopers?

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
So Josep Gombau wants Australia Day at Adelaide Oval for United.
Sounds good in theory.
But.
In practice:
  • Who will pay to remove the cricket pitches from the centre and then return them? Given there are now drop-ins, I'm not sure United would be happy playing on a mid-summer pitch block like they have in the past. Their round 2 game would be on a fully-grassed oval, with the pitches being dropped in afterwards.
  • With the World Cup being the reason behind AO not getting cricket on Australia Day this summer, there is still the chance it will go back to "normal" in 2015/16. Should this occur, "owning Australia Day at Adelaide Oval" will last only one year.
  • United are scheduled to play Newcastle Jets. Last season's home games against this opponent got 10,000-odd spectators each. One would assume an increase given the game will be on Australia Day and there's no cricket in Adelaide, but enough to warrant moving the game from Coopers?
It'll be interesting. Hopefully they do make the change as a test to see what type of crowds they can pull outside the normal annual Rd 2 sell-out v Victory at Hindmarsh or a Sydney FC game. 25k would be the pass mark for this fixture.

Not knowing cricket all that well and the ins and outs of there fixture or stadium deals. The A-League fixture is released in late May/early June each year. Is this before or after the CA fixture and if the Reds were to book AO for a Australia Day fixture does CA get the chance to over turn the A-League booking for contract rights?

Back