Adelaide Oval - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Amazing turn out last night, 23,234 for Adelaide United v Spanish side Malaga, on a cold night in the middle of winter.

This tells me that the Reds will definitely get 40,000+ in October v Melbourne Victory

Amazing turn out last night, 23,234 for Adelaide United v Spanish side Malaga, on a cold night in the middle of winter.

This tells me that the Reds will definitely get 40,000+ in October v Melbourne Victory

I didn't really like AO as a soccer venue. I felt we were too far away from the pitch which was a shame, and you couldn't hear the Army chants but I guess to have more than 13k at a game it has to be at AO.

How many people went? Was everyone else amazed that half the bars and food places were shut in the ground? SMA cutting costs already I guess.

I didn't really like AO as a soccer venue. I felt we were too far away from the pitch which was a shame, and you couldn't hear the Army chants but I guess to have more than 13k at a game it has to be at AO.

How many people went? Was everyone else amazed that half the bars and food places were shut in the ground? SMA cutting costs already I guess.

Did you have to wait too long to be served or was the catering about right?

So if I got there early enough I can get an actual seat in general admin?

If you really want a seat just wait for the game to start and find some spares of members who haven't turned up. Although being Saturday night there won't be too many of those around, I'd expect it to be fairly close to a full capacity game given we're playing for position in the 8.

Well, less than half the capacity of the ground was expected for the game, so you should've expected the SMA only needing half the usual catering requirements compared to an AFL game.

Did you have to wait too long to be served or was the catering about right?

20 min to get a beer... didn't bother trying to get food, the line was about 100deep.

Well, less than half the capacity of the ground was expected for the game, so you should've expected the SMA only needing half the usual catering requirements compared to an AFL game.

Yep but considering all but the ground level of riverbank was closed and the top parts of the Chappel/Bradman/Smith stand were all closed that equals a fair part of the empty seats... but the SMA probably opened the bars and food over there to serve no one. In the Eastern stand all bar the bay on each end of the stand was full... so basically the stand was at near capacity with nothing open.

Planning to go to the Oval for the first time to see the Eagles vs Crows and there's only standing GA tickets left. Will be taking my girlfriend to the game who's fairly short. I've heard the hill is great for atmosphere but what's it like comfort-wise? Decent view? Any aggro?

How did you go?

I actually didn't make it in the end. Wasn't 100% if we were going to be around for it and tickets sold out pretty fast. Will have to catch a game before the end of the season.

Yeah getting tickets isn't easy unless you plan well ahead. Port V Sydney had no two seats side by side before midday on first day of sale (nearly 3 weeks ago now).

20 mins to get a beer...that's crap. that's the problem with AO..time to get beers. Lucky it was soccer, wouldn't of missed to much.

More service equals more cost, are you for better service at a higher cost Gus? The alternative is something for nothing?

20 minutes?
What are you ordering? 100 beers each?
Im in and out in no time.
The beer lines at the soccer at the start of the first and second halfs and half time was ridiculous. During the game it was ok. They didnt have many open, even though there was 20000 people there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have any of these "plenty of times with an 8,000+ crowd" been in the last 20 years?

The SANFL is lucky to get that once a year outside of finals.

There was a Nor V Port game, exact date escapes me right (edit rd 13 2001) now but iirc it was 00-'01 when Brian Bienke kicked a goal in the dying seconds to beat Norwood and the crowd was close easily 8k plus (edit 10565). I would say the Nor V Sturt game 100 year Nor Oval anniversary 13k plus(edit 13745) but don't have official attendance numbers but remember the crowd figures being broadcast over the PA. Plenty of consistent 5k plus crowds.

Last edited:
To bring up an old bugbear , I don't mind having to fork out for the cost of the stadium , user pays as they say nowadays , fair enough the money to construct it was was borrowed , but now a rise in the ticket price to help pay for the " FREE " public transport , bloody knew it , that's BS , you wanna scab out and catch the bus , pay ya bloody own way !

There was a Nor V Port game, exact date escapes me right (edit rd 13 2001) now but iirc it was 00-'01 when Brian Bienke kicked a goal in the dying seconds to beat Norwood and the crowd was close easily 8k plus (edit 10565). I would say the Nor V Sturt game 100 year Nor Oval anniversary 13k plus(edit 13745) but don't have official attendance numbers but remember the crowd figures being broadcast over the PA. Plenty of consistent 5k plus crowds.

Except for nights where the weather is absolutely terrible, you'd be hard pressed to find a night game at Norwood Oval with a sub-5,000 crowd I'd imagine.

To bring up an old bugbear , I don't mind having to fork out for the cost of the stadium , user pays as they say nowadays , fair enough the money to construct it was was borrowed , but now a rise in the ticket price to help pay for the " FREE " public transport , bloody knew it , that's BS , you wanna scab out and catch the bus , pay ya bloody own way !

You just realised that now?

Considering something like 70% of people are using PT to get to AO, I have no issue with the levy to cover the cost of PT.

Why the hell cant you choose your own seats online at this stadium like you can for Ethiad...

Think that's to do with the ticketing agency. Several of Ticketmaster's venues (mostly theatres, though it appears Etihad has this facility now) you can pick your seats. Ticketek don't have this facility, which I'm surprised with because even the most inept ticket agencies like BASS have this option these days.

You just realised that now?

Considering something like 70% of people are using PT to get to AO, I have no issue with the levy to cover the cost of PT.
I have an issue , and I did know about it , disagreed then as now , I don't expect anyone to contribute to my car parking fee , but ill be buggered if i'll contribute to yours , pay your own way !

Ticketek don't have this facility, which I'm surprised with because even the most inept ticket agencies like BASS have this option these days.
They did last year. I remember buying T20 international tickets and some AFL tickets at the MCG and being able to pick front row out of them.

Think that's to do with the ticketing agency. Several of Ticketmaster's venues (mostly theatres, though it appears Etihad has this facility now) you can pick your seats. Ticketek don't have this facility, which I'm surprised with because even the most inept ticket agencies like BASS have this option these days.

Always used to be able to do it for AAMI Stadium, and that was a Ticketek venue for at least the last five years.

Always used to be able to do it for AAMI Stadium, and that was a Ticketek venue for at least the last five years.

Only time Ticketek have sold/is selling tickets at AAMI is for the upcoming One Direction concert.

AAMI Stadium used BASS until 2008 then Ticketmaster from 2009 onwards.

Only time Ticketek have sold/is selling tickets at AAMI is for the upcoming One Direction concert.

AAMI Stadium used BASS until 2008 then Ticketmaster from 2009 onwards.
that's right.
Had to use BASS for the 2008 NAB Cup GF.
While I used Ticketmaster for the 2010 EF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back