News Adelaide Oval Redevelopment - Thunderbirds Are Go

Remove this Banner Ad

It cant be an easy issue to solve for the train network. Getting fans into town from all directions is much different to lining up the bulk of your assets for the post game rush. Overall I'm pretty happy with the train experience so far. I just don't trust predicted arrival times at my local station before the game. I feel sorry for anyone trying to catch a train along the second half of its journey into the city. Seen many a scheduled stop bypassed.

After match seems pretty well organised. Loads of railway staff with walkie talkies co-ordinating loading trains and getting them moving. My train left a good 5 minutes earlier than scheduled purely because it was full.

The train system doesn't have the spare rolling stock like you have spare buses that you can easily throw at the problem. Also they aren't going to change the time table substantially just for the games. They can improve but they will have to monitor the numbers of when people are travelling to the game eg are they all getting there ( train stations) 2 hours before bounce down or 1 hr etc.

Last edited:

SilenceOz

Premiership Player
Dec 1, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I was standing on the hill and I was quite surprised at the start of the game, the amount of noise coming off the stands when the players ran out was a lot louder than I expected.

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
The train system doesn't have the spare rolling stock like you have spare buses that you can easily throw at the problem. Also they aren't going to change the time table substantially just for the games. They can improve but they will have to monitor the numbers of when people are travelling to the game eg are they all getting there ( train stations) 2 hours before bounce down or 1 hr etc.
There are more trains weekday mornings from 7 - 9 am then run on the weekend. And usually more carriages. Plenty of carriages and drivers, just need to hook up the former and roster on the latter.

There are more trains weekday mornings from 7 - 9 am then run on the weekend. And usually more carriages. Plenty of carriages and drivers, just need to hook up the former and roster on the latter.

So what is the maximum length carriages the platforms are set up for? 3? 4? What have they been running? 2? or just 1?

In Sydney the trains are 8 carriages long as standard and off peak sometimes they run 6 and other times they run 4 and other times have 8 but only allow you on 4 of them.

May 6, 2008
Playing in traffic
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Woodville West Torrens
It is theoretically possible to run the 3000 and 3100 class rail cars in 6 car sets. But it is not done because Adelaide's largest platforms can only take 4 cars so they would need to shunt along platforms which just wastes time. Adelaide's platforms range from being able to take 3 to 4 cars so that is why we normally run 3 cars max.

I don't know much about the 2000 class or the new electrics besides the fact they both have to be run at a 2 car minimum for some reason.

Mar 10, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Man Utd, Celtic, Tanunda
Huge line up for the footy express on the weekend - guess if I left straight away instead of having a kick with the lad after the game may have been quicker.:rolleyes:

Speaking of which - what a surreal experience, on the ground listening to the blokes belting out the song on the big screen, then kicking end to end with the #1 son to the strains of Birds of Tokyo. The Club has really nailed their match day experience :thumbsu:

The NTUA opening was good too. Reckon they need a 10 second gap between the end of that song bit and the first siren though. :)

Crowd noise great - as they say, 20,000 Port supporters make more noise than 40,000 Cows flogs, so 36k sounds like 60k of the other mob :cool:

Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So what is the maximum length carriages the platforms are set up for? 3? 4? What have they been running? 2? or just 1?

In Sydney the trains are 8 carriages long as standard and off peak sometimes they run 6 and other times they run 4 and other times have 8 but only allow you on 4 of them.
The platforms at Adelaide can easily accommodate long trains. They often in the morning have a 3 carriage train sitting behind or in front of an earlier 2 / 3 carriage train at Adelaide station.

The platforms at Adelaide can easily accommodate long trains. They often in the morning have a 3 carriage train sitting behind or in front of an earlier 2 / 3 carriage train at Adelaide station.

Not talking about Adelaide station but the suburban train stations as you can't have a platform that is long enough for 3 carriages but the train is 6 carriages long.

Post match function at the William Magarey Room level 3 Riverbank stand. The sun streaming thru the huge window looking out to the city. Photo is taken from Port's twitter account.

BlJfPCNCIAAkoPr.jpg:large

(Log in to remove this ad.)

did the folks down the back keep quiet this time?

No. The sound from those talking on the microphone doesn't carry to the back because the PA System is designed for the partitions to be slide across and split the room in 2/3 and not for the remaining 1/3 area at the back. So people at the back can't hear what's going on so they talk to each other which then compounds the problem because that sound carries back to the stage so those closer to the stage struggle to hear.

PAFC forever

All Australian
Feb 28, 2005
Ingle Farm, South Australia
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
PA Magpies, Sheffield Wednesday
As far as the train network is concerned, I'm pretty sure we only have 5 or 6 3-car sets of the 4000 class electric trains currently running on the Seaford Line. Eventually we will have 22, 3-car sets by the end of the year. Once we have all the 4000 class electric trains in service on the Seaford Line and eventually the Tonsley Line the 3000/3100 class diesel trains currently operating on the Seaford Line will be able to run more frequent services on the rest of the network or run longer trains.

No. The sound from those talking on the microphone doesn't carry to the back because the PA System is designed for the partitions to be slide across and split the room in 2/3 and not for the remaining 1/3 area at the back. So people at the back can't hear what's going on so they talk to each other which then compounds the problem because that sound carries back to the stage so those closer to the stage struggle to hear.

There were extra speakers at the sides, about level with the pillars you can see in the pic of the room. I was strategically standing right near one and didnt miss a word :p

anyone going to the club1870 event tomorrow?

Raman asked this in another thread. REH, Ford, Boxx and myself have all indicated that we will be there.

Portsmeff

All Australian
Aug 13, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adl Magpies, Everton

OK this post is slightly nerdy but I have done a quick google search and it has brought up a Railpage site.

The new electric trains (3 cars) are 75.2 mtrs long, so when coupled together they are 150.4 mtrs long (6 cars). The new Seaford stations and showgrounds are more than long enough to handle but for the rest of the Noarlunga line Ive copied and pasted below:

Mile End 80 & 134.1 metres
Clarence Park to Hove excluding Oaklands 152.4
Oaklands 120 & 137
Brighton 153.0
Seacliff to Lonsdale 152.4, exception is Marino Rocks on the up 140.2
Christie downs 150.
Noarlunga Centre 182.

so there are a few stations that need to be extended. No idea about the other lines, google didn't find anything.

Mar 4, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
OK this post is slightly nerdy but I have done a quick google search and it has brought up a Railpage site.

The new electric trains (3 cars) are 75.2 mtrs long, so when coupled together they are 150.4 mtrs long (6 cars). The new Seaford stations and showgrounds are more than long enough to handle but for the rest of the Noarlunga line Ive copied and pasted below:

Mile End 80 & 134.1 metres
Clarence Park to Hove excluding Oaklands 152.4
Oaklands 120 & 137
Brighton 153.0
Seacliff to Lonsdale 152.4, exception is Marino Rocks on the up 140.2
Christie downs 150.
Noarlunga Centre 182.

so there are a few stations that need to be extended. No idea about the other lines, google didn't find anything.

In the UK, for situations where there are short platforms, they make announcements such as:

"Passengers for Sunnymeads & Datchet should travel in the front 4 coaches"

Many of the trains have 8 cars so this is a regular part of their operations over there. Of course they have guards on them and the ability to keep doors closed on the cars that are not at the platform. I'd have a guess that this type of operating procedure is deemed too risky or not required enough here for it to ever become standard. There'd be training involved and probably the unions would demand a pay rise.

With those new electric trains, I understand passengers can walk the length of them internally without passing through any doors, so it's effectively one long carriage (perhaps 2 trains of 3 coupled would have that issue but just use the front 3 at the short stations).

Garibaldi Red

Cancelled
Bring Back the Bars
Jul 22, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Nottingham Forest
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but it seems the honour board wall thing in our players race is ready.

Motleyandboak_hero.jpg

Cant wait to go down and see my name. Hopefully it's next to an important name or two. :D

Just got this e-mail from the Club

Congratulations once again on securing a piece of history on the Port Adelaide Football Club Honour Board at Adelaide Oval.
The Honour Board is located on the Geof Motley Race in the Riverbank Stand (southern end) at the Adelaide Oval. The Honour Board was unveiled on Tuesday 25 March 2014 and features the names of over 3,250 passionate Port Adelaide supporters as well as the over 1400 players who have run out in a senior game for the club since 1870, including famous premiership players, Magarey Medallists and club legends.

The Honour Board celebrates the great significance of Port Adelaide’s return to playing matches at the Adelaide Oval in season 2014. Adelaide Oval has been the scene of 20 SANFL Premiership victories and many other famous triumphs for the Port Adelaide Football Club.

Within the next fortnight you will receive a certificate which acknowledges your purchase. Whether this was for yourself, family or friend we hope that this provides great enjoyment.

All Honour Board subscribers will have the opportunity to view their name via two Honour Board tours as follows:

· Sunday 4th May from 10am - 2pm
· Saturday 31st May from 10am – 2pm
Please follow the signage located in the Southern Plaza for these tours. There is no need to RSVP, simply arrive within the allocated times above. To assist the Club in managing patronage we request that you bring only one guest with you to the tours if need be.

Whilst the tours will give you the opportunity to view the Honour Board within the Geof Motley Race, you can also visit Adelaide Oval at your leisure and view the race and Honour Board very clearly from the seating area. Adelaide Oval is open to the public most days with the exception of match day where you will require a ticket for entry.
Thank you once again for your support of the Port Adelaide Football Club and we hope that you enjoy the PAFC Honour Board at Adelaide Oval.

Back