Adelaide Oval success boosts AFL crowd figures

Remove this Banner Ad

What impact would that have on anyone except maybe essendon fans going to the footy?

It's the 'vibe' of footy fan's minds.

This and last year's season hasn't been what you would call 'normal'.

There are more reasons than the Essendon saga which most other supporters couldnt give a stuff about.

As Menzies once said dont touch the "hip pocket nerve" and the AFL did just that by increasing prices and on top of that you had very unfriendly game times esp in Melbourne If the AFL address these issues next year Im certain the Melbourne crowds will bounce back.
Playing matches in Tassie ,Cairns,Alice Springs and Darwin drags the ave down as well.

I suspect if you asked half a dozen people you'd get half a dozen different reasons. While the Essendon thing hasn't directly affected my decisions, I often wonder whether Richmond's not successful because we're not on the right gear, the end result of which is a gradual erosion of confidence in/enthusiasm for the game. So when e.g. Viney gets suspended for incidental contact and I decide to stay home for the first time in 37 years, the Essendon thing's had an effect without being directly responsible.

MCG crowds down, dockland crowds down, maybe a footy overload during the offseason due to ASAGA.
Or maybe, its the price of going. Are you telling me, on the way to the footy you sit there wondering about ASADA and Essendon?

Or maybe, its the price of going. Are you telling me, on the way to the footy you sit there wondering about ASADA and Essendon?

As Shane Hird said, its a vibe, and I tend to agree, it hasn't exactly been a positive thing

Good time to give Crows and Power all the crap timeslots then, so the 'big' Vic clubs can attract a crowd on Friday night.

Does the timeslot really effect crowds at Adelaide Oval - Melbourne market has an oversupply of footy so fans only go when it suits, oversupply means the actual game is not valued, its what time its played.

AFL Logic:

2013: Port (27K avg) and Crows (31K avg)- s**t crowds look crap on TV, give them the s**t timeslots.

2014: Port (45K avg, +18K), and Crows (48K avg, +17K)- huge crowds, give them the s**t timeslots they'll fill em anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL Logic:

2013: Port (27K avg) and Crows (31K avg)- s**t crowds look crap on TV, give them the s**t timeslots.

2014: Port (45K avg, +18K), and Crows (48K avg, +17K)- huge crowds, give them the s**t timeslots they'll fill em anyway.

Did anyone expect Adelaide Oval to be such a success ?

So what the go with Football Park / AAMI Stadium in Adelaide now?

Steven Trigg and the Crows hierarchy (with the SANFL's blessing as the Crows were their love child/revenue stream) made a massive mistake in spending $20 mill on their training facility there. It has become a big white elephant. The SANFL has guaranteed the Crows can stay there for something like 40 years, but in reality what will happen is that the SANFL clubs (who effectively own the whole precinct) will want to get their grubby hands on the cash for selling off the land at West Lakes sooner rather than later. I would suggest in the next year the new Crows CEO will be neck deep in negotiations with the SANFL to get appropriate compensation for their White Elephant facility at AAMI, so they can relocate somewhere closer to the City and the SANFL can start selling off the land surrounding Footy Park and eventually the stadium will be bulldozed and they'll get to sell off the remainder.

AO is certainly a great looking stadium. Never been but enjoyed watching the games on TV when played there this season.

I think most people were pretty bullish about the Adelide Oval. If anything the 'surprise' is the massive turnaround in the Port crowds - the bay cover-ups are well and truly a thing of the past now.

Went over for the second showdown this year, and really liked the stadium. If the the two clubs can somehow engineer 50-50 crowds for showdowns then I think the last step will be complete in creating an absolutely amazing sporting experience.

I was expecting mid-high 40s for Adelaide and high 30s to low 40s for Port.
So Adelaide went maybe 1-2k more than I expect and Port 6-7k more.

A couple of issues in downtown Melbourne:
  1. Fox Footy - a real alternative to sitting in the rain/the cold
  2. Forking out for a membership,so save a buck watching away games at the local with mates
Not an Adelaide experience, but it may be a trend in Melbourne.

Melbourne games are hurt by the variable ticket pricing scheme as well. Paying for a membership and then having to reserve a ticket on top of that is a bit of a kick in the balls, especially for games that only get 70k.

Membership numbers are overall up though, although it's hard to tell how many are just three game members, dog memberships etc.

Steven Trigg and the Crows hierarchy (with the SANFL's blessing as the Crows were their love child/revenue stream) made a massive mistake in spending $20 mill on their training facility there. It has become a big white elephant. The SANFL has guaranteed the Crows can stay there for something like 40 years, but in reality what will happen is that the SANFL clubs (who effectively own the whole precinct) will want to get their grubby hands on the cash for selling off the land at West Lakes sooner rather than later. I would suggest in the next year the new Crows CEO will be neck deep in negotiations with the SANFL to get appropriate compensation for their White Elephant facility at AAMI, so they can relocate somewhere closer to the City and the SANFL can start selling off the land surrounding Footy Park and eventually the stadium will be bulldozed and they'll get to sell off the remainder.
Is that you Rucci?

How is the training facility a white elephant? It is a state of the art training facility with associated administration headquarters and function centre. The only problem is the lack of supporter clubrooms, but that hardly justifies the tag white elephant. The club needs a training and admin base somewhere.

Typical Port Power misinformation bluster.

Is that you Rucci?

How is the training facility a white elephant? It is a state of the art training facility with associated administration headquarters and function centre. The only problem is the lack of supporter clubrooms, but that hardly justifies the tag white elephant. The club needs a training and admin base somewhere.

Typical Port Power misinformation bluster.

We'll see mate. My guess is that in 3 years time the Adelaide Football Club will not be based at West Lakes.

Why not sell off the land around like has been done at Waverley with housing etc.

So in effect the stadium is bulldozed, but he oval remains with Crows facilities and housing and land sales with whats left ..... win/win

Remove this Banner Ad

Back