Review Adelaide Player Salaries

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
if Knights is our 2nd highest paid player I will be very disappointed.

talk about a waste of money.

I dont know if it's second, but he's up there.

And Stab, don't blame injuries. The guy has played about 10 decent games in his entire career, mostly in 2009. He is embarrasssingly (for us) overpaid, there's no two ways about it.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I dont know if it's second, but he's up there.

And Stab, don't blame injuries. The guy has played about 10 decent games in his entire career, mostly in 2009. He is embarrasssingly (for us) overpaid, there's no two ways about it.

No question he's overpaid based on what he's given us since the contract was signed.

To claim he's "only played about 10 decent games" is rubbish though. He was a good player for us through the second half of the decade, and then had a very, very good 2009 season. In my opinion he was our most important player in 2009. Given his age and career trajectory to that point it looked like we could expect a similar level of performance from him going into the future. Unfortunately, it didn't happen.

I'm not trying to absolve the AFC. His injury woes were well known - hell, he was on the sidelines, and as I understand it the club didn't even know what was wrong with him as he was signing his contract extension. And he'd only just had his breakout season, which does not always guarantee strong form in the future. Nonetheless, if he'd maintained his 2009 form he'd be well worth the investment, and I haven't seen anything to suggest to me he wouldn't have if the injuries hadn't hit.

Apr 29, 2008
Northeast Suburbs
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'll stand well-enough corrected then :eek:

One can only assume his salary was inflated for fear of him walking away to another club if it was at the end of 2010 then. There were plenty of injury concerns at that point, which proved to be warranted in 2011.

Fingers crossed he can get back to his 2009 form and make the investment worthwhile.

Slippery Pete

Samcro24 alias account
Jul 19, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Which reminds me of one point during late 2010, someone (pretty sure it was Harper) was on the radio saying Knights had only just started talking to the club, after a lengthy period of refusing to talk to them. I remember posting on here at the time, saying that we shouldn't have allowed that, that if he was playing hardball we should have let him go back to Melbourne. He simply wasn't worth it.

Knights played us like a violin.

Not bad for a bloke who's played one half of a good season in his entire career.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
Which reminds me of one point during late 2010, someone (pretty sure it was Harper) was on the radio saying Knights had only just started talking to the club, after a lengthy period of refusing to talk to them. I remember posting on here at the time, saying that we shouldn't have allowed that, that if he was playing hardball we should have let him go back to Melbourne.

Knights played us like a violin.

Not bad for a bloke who's played one half of a good season in his entire career.

most likely held out for a great offer from a Vic club....which never eventuated.

we missed our opportunity to offload him for a draft profit - bit of a shame really.

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
A fit Knights is one of the few damaging comodities we have/hd. There were definately clubs circling and it was what was needed to retain him.

Last year he still had no penetration on his kick, lost his change of direction and his running gait was horrble. I'm hoping he can get back to full fitness where he's a very damaging 80 meter player.

Jul 27, 2004
Las Vegas
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
A fit Knights is one of the few damaging comodities we have/hd. There were definately clubs circling and it was what was needed to retain him.

Last year he still had no penetration on his kick, lost his change of direction and his running gait was horrble. I'm hoping he can get back to full fitness where he's a very damaging 80 meter player.

and he is going to improve that how? I can't remember many players who were able to overcome injury and come back at the same pace/explosiveness they had.

Don't get me wrong, I think he still has a place as ana attacking HFF - if he can get his kicking back, but he is hardly worth top 5 pay packet.

WALL-e

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 17, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Magic, Sturt, Ravens, Duke
I think we'll adjust how we use the HFF, Kerridge could slot there for a bit soon, has good endurance, strong hands and a long kick, solid pace. But I see us using Tex and Tippo and Smack to push up further as a rotation and use Hendo, Porps and a resting mid as the smaller option to do that Knights role.

Knights basically played as our CHF in 09 and did a ripper job as few could match his endurance, line breaking combo.....but failing him, we didn't have any other presence, especially a tall one.

We should really capitalize on Tex's endurance, big kick and IQ up the ground and spell him with Tipp and Smack pushing up as they're match up nightmares with their length and leap. Just pop it IN FRONT of them and let them leap protect the aggot.

It's interesting watching the Pies, they split Dawes and Cloke wither side of the ground and play with 2 CHF's, whoevers side it isn't on cuts back to provide a late gross ground deep option.

I'd vary this using the two talls, and then a middle cut tall. When the middle tall has nice space open in front and leads, the weak side tall can cut behind and enter the 'new' space created by the lead. I'm a big fan of the 3 option forward line and think we have enough athleticism in them to allow it to work defensively as well.

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
Wasn't Knights injured for much of 2010?

So when we re-signed him we still had the memories of 2009 in our minds, when he was close to being our best player.

Cos he wasn't on the park in 2010 he didn't give us a chance to realise that 2009 was a freak anomaly and he'd never get near that sort of football again.

I loooove sticking the boots in to the AFC for decisions that were wrong but I agreed with the 'keep Knights' strategy, even if it made him one of our highest paid players. In hindsight it looks like another "Hudson - 3 year deal? No way" winner from our football operations department but sadly I was on the same side of the fence as them :(

crowsarethebest

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 22, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide Crows
Bit much to claim 2009 was a "freak anomoly" season after one additional year from his signing. I'll agree though, signing him to a big deal on the back of 2010 was not the best move.

Vic clubs were circling though and if we didn't put a big carrot out there for him, I think he would've been gone. We couldn't afford to lose him for nothing/very little- he had a great 2009 but 2010 he was injured pretty much all year and his currency would've been low if he sought out a trade. We gambled that Knighta would return to his 2009 form (which was pretty much AA form, he was a gun, kicking them from 60 out regularly). Unfortunately he hasn't fired a shot in the last 2 years. He's one of the reasons why we've been shyt the last 2 seasons. With guys like Macca, Goody, Edwards, Roo etc. retiring, we needed guys like Knights to step it up and be that gun All Australian type player. Unfortunately he hasn't stepped up (due to injury/form) to the plate (yet).

I'm not writing him off, however this'll be a telling year. Guys like Knights, Porps, VB, Douglas, Reilly, Tippett, McKay, Otten, Henderson and Vince will determine where we'll finish. All have potential to be very good players at least, if not elite (maybe the exception of Radar). However none have consistently shown they're 'full potential'. All of them aren't exactly getting any younger, they're hitting their prime now or in the next few years. It's time for that batch to pull out their fingers otherwise we'll be mediocre again, until the next cycle of kids mature.

liam_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sorry to bump an old thread on your board, but am attempting to create a list of 2012 uncontracted players, then seeing who is able to leave as free agent/GWS signing. While not what I was looking for, did spend a while looking through the list. Well done on compiling it, quality :thumbsu:

1 question, would any of you Crow supporters know if other clubs are as transparent on contracts/salaries??

edit: It seems this is an educated guess thread, not the actual club figures?

If Tambling is really on more money than our captain, I think I might cry.

Van Berlo strikes me as a Priddis type player, content to be on an average footballers salary (still much higher then the average Australian) if it means his contracts get done & dusted, and it's for the benefit of the team.
You should be proud that your captain doesn't demand a high salary (from what I know of)

I have just Kurt Tippett as a 2012 uncontracted player. From this thread, it seems it's believed he's not the highest paid?? Where would Adelaide supporters rank him in term of importance to the team??

Thanks, and again, apologies for bumping an old thread.

No club is transparent on salaries - they're only required to report them to the AFL for oversight, and the players have a right to privacy over their salary that is well protected by the AFLPA. Every salary listed in the media is just an estimate form the journalist, sometimes based on nudges and winks from player agents working their own agenda.

From media reports at the time it is estimated that Knights is our highest paid - though the OP says $400k, for the longest time it was believed that Knights was on $600k, and some people still believe Tippett is on $700k.

For me, Tippett is of high importance to the team. He's our #1 key forward, a significant part of our ruck setup both with or without Jacobs due to his size and experience, and he's also entering peak age. If I had to pick our KPPs in order, the only contest for first chosen would be between Tippett and Rutten, and there's not a whole lot of other guys I'd name ahead of them both in a matchday 22.

liam_13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 18, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
No club is transparent on salaries - they're only required to report them to the AFL for oversight, and the players have a right to privacy over their salary that is well protected by the AFLPA. Every salary listed in the media is just an estimate form the journalist, sometimes based on nudges and winks from player agents working their own agenda.

From media reports at the time it is estimated that Knights is our highest paid - though the OP says $400k, for the longest time it was believed that Knights was on $600k, and some people still believe Tippett is on $700k.

For me, Tippett is of high importance to the team. He's our #1 key forward, a significant part of our ruck setup both with or without Jacobs due to his size and experience, and he's also entering peak age. If I had to pick our KPPs in order, the only contest for first chosen would be between Tippett and Rutten, and there's not a whole lot of other guys I'd name ahead of them both in a matchday 22.

Ok, thanks for all the info.

Where would Scott Thompson fit in?? And in terms of the future, Patrick Dangerfield?

Where would Scott Thompson fit in?? And in terms of the future, Patrick Dangerfield?

Scott Thompson is our only A grade midfielder, or elite midfielder, whatever term you want to use, and is one of the best midfielders in the league, top 20 easily. Despite the old 'midfielders are a dime a dozen, elite talls are rarer' I don't think there is any question that Thompson is the single most important player on our list. Without him in the middle and 100% fit, a 'rare elite' tall forward in our team would never see the ball, and a 'rare elite' tall defender would be overwhelmed. Where he fits in salary I don't know, but I'm somewhat certain that he does not qualify for free agency, and that he is still contracted.

As yet, Dangerfield has a lot of promise and not a lot of delivery, his first ever 30 disposal game coming last year against a Port side that gave the worst performance I've ever witnessed at AFL level, promptly followed by a return to mediocre stats.

So, depends what you mean by 'in terms of future'? Sloane has delivered the most thus far, but Dangerfield has the most 'upside' if he can manage to deliver. He'd hardly be the first in the league if he didn't.

Sorry to bump an old thread on your board, but am attempting to create a list of 2012 uncontracted players, then seeing who is able to leave as free agent/GWS signing. While not what I was looking for, did spend a while looking through the list. Well done on compiling it, quality :thumbsu:

1 question, would any of you Crow supporters know if other clubs are as transparent on contracts/salaries??

edit: It seems this is an educated guess thread, not the actual club figures?

Van Berlo strikes me as a Priddis type player, content to be on an average footballers salary (still much higher then the average Australian) if it means his contracts get done & dusted, and it's for the benefit of the team.
You should be proud that your captain doesn't demand a high salary (from what I know of)

I have just Kurt Tippett as a 2012 uncontracted player. From this thread, it seems it's believed he's not the highest paid?? Where would Adelaide supporters rank him in term of importance to the team??

Thanks, and again, apologies for bumping an old thread.

So are you after who would qualify as free agents (I believe we have only 1) or who are we a threat to lose to GWS?

Aug 17, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
The Autobots and Team America

I have heard that Thommo is actually our highest paid player. Which makes sense as he is our best mid by a mile.

But for the Tabloid journos it is better to suggest Tip is.

Back