Opinion adelaide schools

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree. It's a different world today, and unfortunately state schools (in Qld) are all about helping our girls to achieve. Great! but our Boys get left behind. Moved our lad to private boys in year 5. Best thing we ever did. The curriculum is incredibly rounded putting equal importance on all aspects - academic, arts and sports. Hubby and I are both state school backgrounds, both with post grad degrees. It was not what we'd planned (private schooling) but it was absolutely the right thing to do.

I'm public (state) school educated and don't have any issue sending my kids to one as well. Schooling (education) is an equal opportunity environment abd doesn't discriminate against any sex.

Girls are given opportunities to excell in science and literacy, whist boys are given opportunities to excell in mathematics and literacy as well. As a year 5 teacher, I develop a curriculum around the students needs, not a general sex in particular; then my pedagogy will fill the students indervidual needs, wants and developmental areas.

Your issue could have simply been a number of things. The issue with the school philophy, the teacher your sin had or a combination towards both. You have every right to do what is best for your child and I applauded your move to get the best education ( in your opinion) for your child but I don't believe your post fits all cases and in general isn't correct.

I'm public (state) school educated and don't have any issue sending my kids to one as well. Schooling (education) is an equal opportunity environment abd doesn't discriminate against any sex.

Girls are given opportunities to excell in science and literacy, whist boys are given opportunities to excell in mathematics and literacy as well. As a year 5 teacher, I develop a curriculum around the students needs, not a general sex in particular; then my pedagogy will fill the students indervidual needs, wants and developmental areas.

Your issue could have simply been a number of things. The issue with the school philophy, the teacher your sin had or a combination towards both. You have every right to do what is best for your child and I applauded your move to get the best education ( in your opinion) for your child but I don't believe your post fits all cases and in general isn't correct.
Choice of education is an incredibly personal decision and I agree, one size does not fit all. We make the best choice we can for our kids and I certainly would never second guess another parent's decision as I would not expect to be second guessed myself.

Choice of education is an incredibly personal decision and I agree, one size does not fit all. We make the best choice we can for our kids and I certainly would never second guess another parent's decision as I would not expect to be second guessed myself.

Absolutely and agree but private school isn't for everyone and doesn't make a child become a successful student.

Work ethic, individual drive and parent experiences they give their child.

Absolutely and agree but private school isn't for everyone and doesn't make a child become a successful student.

I can ABSOLUTELY vouch for that first hand ...as a Pulteney Grammar Student of a dubious history

But we were still better than Saints ......and what schools was that Pembroke :p ....that was a girls school, obviously hasn't changed :p

Thanks Alex, but thousands who choose private education would probably disagree. But we take the thread further off track. I think we all have our own philosophy and just have to appreciate each other's view point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it would matter what school I went to, school was just not for me.

Adelaide Eastern Suburbs resident: 'Oh you just won the nobel prize for (whatever)? Which private school did you go to?'
Nobel prize winner: 'Oh i went to a public school'.
Adelaide Eastern Suburbs resident: *Expression as if the prize winner had simultaneously deficated on the Eastern suburbs resident's face and murdered their children*

Adelaide Eastern Suburbs resident: 'Oh you just won the nobel prize for (whatever)? Which private school did you go to?'
Nobel prize winner: 'Oh i went to a public school'.
Adelaide Eastern Suburbs resident: *Expression as if the prize winner had simultaneously deficated on the Eastern suburbs resident's face and murdered their children*

South Australia has only produced 3 Nobel Prize winners. One was educated in the UK and the other two went to SA private schools. Just saying.

Agreed. Get back on track or I'll post my derailed thread image again.

EDIT: Oh wait, thread has been split?

As someone who grew up in the country and moved to Adelaide when I was 19, the question "Which school did you go to?" always makes me laugh.

In primary school there was only one, and in high school you could choose the public or the catholic. The only real difference between the two being the colour of the uniforms.

I'll be sending my kids to a public school until year 7. At that point I'll assess whether I can afford private school education. Who knows how much it will be by then considering my kids don't exist!

I'll be sending my kids to a public school until year 7. At that point I'll assess whether I can afford private school education. Who knows how much it will be by then considering my kids don't exist!

This is what many people do.

I know maybe 10 or 11 different families from the year 7 classes who are going to do this.

Wise choice. :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back