Bacon8

Cancelled
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sunderland, Penguins, Strikers
Any word on whether we'll fill those spots?

I'm not expecting rumours. Assuming Troisi plays in China, it will be someone we've never heard of. I'd love Tommy Oar to come here, but he'll chase the money in China too.

Jets have signed a number of players in the past week, with nothing said in the media prior.

Sep 17, 2010
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Dragons FFC
I'm not expecting rumours. Assuming Troisi plays in China, it will be someone we've never heard of. I'd love Tommy Oar to come here, but he'll chase the money in China too.

Jets have signed a number of players in the past week, with nothing said in the media prior.
So Van Dijk is a definite no?

Bacon8

Cancelled
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
So Van Dijk is a definite no?

We can't sign him for the A League, as we have 5 imports already.

He could sign for the Asian Champs League only (that's how he originally came to the club I believe, signing for the club for HAL as an injury replacement). But only guaranteed 1 game so far - and we might back ourselves to win without him.

hey shorty

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
We can't sign him for the A League, as we have 5 imports already.

He could sign for the Asian Champs League only (that's how he originally came to the club I believe, signing for the club for HAL as an injury replacement). But only guaranteed 1 game so far - and we might back ourselves to win without him.
We can actually, assuming we sign him as a guest player. That means we aren't required to dispense of a visa player.

Weve left ourselves a touch short, and with our owners lacking ambition I fail to see how we improve that short term.

Bacon8

Cancelled
May 26, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We can actually, assuming we sign him as a guest player. That means we aren't required to dispense of a visa player.

Weve left ourselves a touch short, and with our owners lacking ambition I fail to see how we improve that short term.

That depends on whether he fits the league's prescribed marketability criteria.

Sam_Malone

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 20, 2016
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Won't Eli Babalj go back to Europe as Adelaide United only signed him on loan from AZ Alkmaar.

That will then free up an import spot?

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
That depends on whether he fits the league's prescribed marketability criteria.
This is the sticking point.

Returning goal scoring hero comes back to lead the Reds to glory.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Thats all we could've gotten out of him. He was as guilty as most of missing chances.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Apparently quite a bit of racial abuse hurled by Adelaide United fans at Shandong fans in the western stand and some spot fires in the Red Army area last night.

Disappointing if true
Can confirm that.

A few guys behind me (was sitting almost directly behind their bench) got real stuck in as soon as Shandong started flopping. Then it got worse when their coach started whinging to the 4th about us diving.

Was pretty sad.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Just watching highlights of the game, we really only lacked 1 thing. Composure.

Elsey had a mare thats granted, but we had so much ball in the 2nd half and all it takes is a bit of direction and we would've had 4-5 by the end. No chance was that tough yet the only 1 we scored was Cirio facing backwards !!! It was quite alarming how fast they dropped off the pace.

Back to the A League now. Its a Sunday game so plenty of recovery with Pablo and Mells fresh, Bruce only had an hour too.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
3 week for La Rocca. Time to give Warland a go IMO.

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
What for?
Happened after the scuffle with Simon. Both wrestling then Iacopo threw the elbow back, pretty dog act and a brain snap he's had a bit too often in his time in Australia.

That always worried me when we recruited him.

Oct 1, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
NFC AUFC MUFC Socceroos
Happened after the scuffle with Simon. Both wrestling then Iacopo threw the elbow back, pretty dog act and a brain snap he's had a bit too often in his time in Australia.

And yet Matt Simon gets away with late challenges week after week

hey shorty

Cancelled
Jun 15, 2005
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
AUFC, Everton, Sturt
Agree totally but this was no challenge, moreso a deliberate whack to the jaw. He's incredibly lucky the linesman didn't think it was too bad otherwise we'd have played a large chunk of the game with 10. He did see it though.

Just on that, I thought the ref was outstanding last night. He didn't get sucked into their garbage and added almost 11 minutes extra by my count (both halves). We probably got the better side of it, which has rarely happened in ACL for us.

Matt Simon is a deadset dirty flog, no question. Like Muscat he's very smart, gets away with it alot. I'm told Matt is actually a ripping bloke, have a couple mutual friends but have never met him.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Interesting outcome - can't recall why I was looking at them, but It was just at the very second it happened so had a clear view of the contact. Thought WTF!!! I was sure it would be a red but no one saw it.

Back