Preview Adelaide vs West Coast Saturday July 11th @ Domain

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 10, 2009
Adelaide Oval
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm not sure if this is too early for people, so if it is, feel free to close mods until a later date.

However, starting to talk about the footy again could be a good thing, and Roo mentioned a couple of things this morning on radio that were of interest.

The interim coach will come from within, I have a strong suspicion it will be Teague given how highly Walshy rated him as a potential senior coach.

Will we go in with the same changes? I think it would be a nice sign of respect to Walshy if we did, but understand that different teams require different structures. There is also the possibility of some players still taking time to mourn and may not play. If they are up to it, I hope Atkins and Knight make their debuts.

The players had a very light training session this morning at the club, will have tomorrow off, and then get back into full training Monday (according to Roo).

Good work BACCS.

I think it'll be Teague as coach, maybe Campo. The club may look to get someone else in for support but it won't be for the interim coach role.

And I hope we go with the same changes. Seeing Knight and Atkins debut will be great, a good injection of pace and skill.

Obviously this all depends on how individual players are feeling next week.

Will probably be good for the players to go on the road, to all be together for a few days away from Adelaide. Don't forget Walsh coached a lot of the Eagles players as well. Its going to be a very emotional match.
It's quite fitting that we play the Eagles and Port in consecutive weeks, the two other teams Walsh had the most to do with.

Sorry to intrude guys
:( Still in shock (after waking up to the news yesterday) and really can't imagine what his family, friends and the affected players/staff must be going through . Such a tragedy.

Back on topic, there's a suggestion on the Eagles board that we should offer to play next week's game in Adelaide. It would be logistically tricky (as the return fixture would be on the same day as Freo's game) so I'd be surprised (but really happy) if we offered! I loved another poster's suggestion of trying to get as many Crows supporters as possible at the game (even if it can't be moved from Subi). What are your thoughts? http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/west-coast-should-play-next-week-at-adelaide.1102794/

Teague or Camporeale for mine to take over for the foreseeable future.

It would be nice if they went with the same changes that Walshy was going to use for the game that was mean to be played tomorrow; but who knows what the thought process will be of whoever gets the gig.

I hope it is Teague. I heard him speak last week and he was really impressive. Just absolutely real and honest.

My Knock on Teague is that he loves Wright

Campo was Walsh's Senior Asst so I think he might have the front running

Who ever it is I hope that we bring in Woosha as a mentor

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm sure we'll play and a trip away together as a group might be the best thing for the players. All the familiar landmarks and places that bring the memories flooding back are gone for a couple of days. Gives everyone something else to concentrate on.

I also agree that I would like to see the changes made that were on the cards. Phil made it clear that they needed to improve and that he'd be looking at the SANFL team for that purpose. As unimportant at it is right now, I can't see that happening now. In the short term we'll go back to what we're comfortable with. We still have Noble running the show and Campo the senior assistant.

Unbelievable that we are scheduled to play Geelong, West Coast and Port the 3 teams that Walsh was involved with post his playing days
Port also play Collingwood next Thursday.

Weird.

I still think that this game might not go ahead

Nobody would know for sure yet but I imagine the funeral would be late in the week and in Adelaide. All the players would want to be there. Normally they would arrive in Perth on Friday for a Saturday game I think.

This could make things logistically very difficulty, let alone taking into account the emotional side.

They may need to change the game to Sunday night at least. Not sure though. AFL and the clubs will make the right decision on this I am sure.

Sorry to intrude guys
:( Still in shock (after waking up to the news yesterday) and really can't imagine what his family, friends and the affected players/staff must be going through . Such a tragedy.

Back on topic, there's a suggestion on the Eagles board that we should offer to play next week's game in Adelaide. It would be logistically tricky (as the return fixture would be on the same day as Freo's game) so I'd be surprised (but really happy) if we offered! I loved another poster's suggestion of trying to get as many Crows supporters as possible at the game (even if it can't be moved from Subi). What are your thoughts? http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/west-coast-should-play-next-week-at-adelaide.1102794/

I personally think this would be a great idea, if the game goes ahead.

Walsh's funeral will be this week, probably Wednesday/Thursday. If the game is in Perth we would leave Friday. That is essentially two days off the training track. The players will want to give their all the first game after Walsh's death, lack of preparation would impede that.

Even moving the game, the week is tight.

Moving the game here should be ok by the SMA. Port play Thursday night. We are scheduled to play Saturday night. The MCG can host two games on weekend, surely Adelaide Oval can as well.

It would also allow us supporters to turn up and support our boys. The next game is the away Showdown. Many of our members wont be able to attend due to capacity. Win, lose or draw we can all be there as a show of support for our club. The actual result may not mean a lot, but the fellowship amongst us supporters with the club would be important as part of our own grieving process.

There is also the understandable argument that the first game without Walshy at AO be the Showdown. He did spend a lot of time at Port, more than here. Their players, staff and supporters are affected by this as much as us.

I still think that this game might not go ahead
I understand this - but we need to take the first step at some stage. The guys will be emotional wrecks - and the West Coast guys will be feeling it too.

Woosha wrote that great article that said "Walshy would have hated the game being called off" and I reckon he is right - we could not play this week, but we need to get back on the horse and get through these initial battles.

I think the Power game will be a perfect tonic. Both teams with massive respect for Walsh, Ken Hinkley one of his closest in the industry ... there should be no greater way to show your respect for Walsh than to come out and play the game as hard as you can.

I for one am looking forward to our guys having a chance to get through the grieving - through the toughest games they will have to play and realise it is going to be ok.

For purely selfish reasons I hope this game stays right where it is, rearranged a work trip to Perth to catch it!

On field anything could happen. We might come out ready to run through brick walls, we might be completely flat. Can't see it being a close game really.

Nobody would know for sure yet but I imagine the funeral would be late in the week and in Adelaide. All the players would want to be there. Normally they would arrive in Perth on Friday for a Saturday game I think.

This could make things logistically very difficulty, let alone taking into account the emotional side.

They may need to change the game to Sunday night at least. Not sure though. AFL and the clubs will make the right decision on this I am sure.
The funeral will be the week before the Showdown from what has been said by club officials this morning, namely Roo.

Sorry to intrude guys

A very noble gesture, but one that I don't really see as being possible to carry out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back