Carlton
Big Bash off to a good start

bigbash2015-2016.png

papabear

All Australian
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
back on topic, one interesting point was why his reasons why AFL gets more coverage in Sydney then what RL/RU get in melbourne.

With the two reasons being:-
- Sydney being more broad of mind then melbourne or
- AFL leveraging its media relationship better / to greater effect then the rugby codes.

I think its pretty clear its the second option.

All the power to the AFL for achieving that, but tbh I am not sure it actually does the local media any favours. For instance, if your overseas and you want to know whats happening in australia, an overseas person and tbh alot of australians imo give more credibility to sydney publications. I appreciate if you want AFL news you might hit up the sun herald or BF , but really, there is only so much influence you can entrench in a publication before it impacts its credibility.

On another point who is aaron mooy? if he is a soccer player wouldn't he be better of going with a ronaldo / messi. IMO Basketball is the best at branding and spreading its game internationally, it has professional local leagues, but there is no doubting the NBA is the premier show where all the big stars are.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
back on topic, one interesting point was why his reasons why AFL gets more coverage in Sydney then what RL/RU get in melbourne.

With the two reasons being:-
- Sydney being more broad of mind then melbourne or
- AFL leveraging its media relationship better / to greater effect then the rugby codes.

I think its pretty clear its the second option.

All the power to the AFL for achieving that, but tbh I am not sure it actually does the local media any favours. For instance, if your overseas and you want to know whats happening in australia, an overseas person and tbh alot of australians imo give more credibility to sydney publications. I appreciate if you want AFL news you might hit up the sun herald or BF , but really, there is only so much influence you can entrench in a publication before it impacts its credibility.

On another point who is aaron mooy? if he is a soccer player wouldn't he be better of going with a ronaldo / messi. IMO Basketball is the best at branding and spreading its game internationally, it has professional local leagues, but there is no doubting the NBA is the premier show where all the big stars are.

I wanted to respond to all of this but you lost me completely at Sydney being more broad of mind than Melbourne. Oh and the bit about Australians giving greater credibility to Sydney papers than others in an age of syndication, digital media and the internet is laughable.

Mar 1, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Central Districts F.C, GWS
With the Big Bash doing so well, I wonder if Ten will still be involved in bidding for the FTA component of the next A-League deal? There'd be a 10-week chunk where they have overlap and have to relegate one (A-league) to One-HD. Channel 9 have the international cricket on either side of the BBL, and Seven has the spring carnival, tennis, and golf, not to mention the start of the AFL and NRL seasons. If the A-League do manage to entice a commercial network to bid, they're going to have to accept being played on a secondary-channel with more grace than they did when being shown on SBS2.

But I guess being shown on 7mate would still be a step up from SBS1.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
With the Big Bash doing so well, I wonder if Ten will still be involved in bidding for the FTA component of the next A-League deal? There'd be a 10-week chunk where they have overlap and have to relegate one (A-league) to One-HD. Channel 9 have the international cricket on either side of the BBL, and Seven has the spring carnival, tennis, and golf, not to mention the start of the AFL and NRL seasons. If the A-League do manage to entice a commercial network to bid, they're going to have to accept being played on a secondary-channel with more grace than they did when being shown on SBS2.

But I guess being shown on 7mate would still be a step up from SBS1.

Bearing in mind that the BBL will in all likelihood undergo an expansion in 2018 when its next deal is due, as well as broadcasting a womens tournament. Whoever gets it wont have room for the Aleague as well.

papabear

All Australian
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
I wanted to respond to all of this but you lost me completely at Sydney being more broad of mind than Melbourne. Oh and the bit about Australians giving greater credibility to Sydney papers than others in an age of syndication, digital media and the internet is laughable.
I said sydney's people were not broader of mind then melbourne re-read the post.

The point is quite simple, if independent publications let one entertainment conglomerent exert undue influence over it, it is going to cost it credibility.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I said sydney's people were not broader of mind then melbourne re-read the post.

The point is quite simple, if independent publications let one entertainment conglomerent exert undue influence over it, it is going to cost it credibility.

damn, your right, misread your post. carry on good sir.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Or maybe football has a significantly greater following in NSW than either rugby has in Victoria.

papabear

All Australian
Jun 18, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
Or maybe football has a significantly greater following in NSW than either rugby has in Victoria.
Perhaps, the article was written from the perspective that soccer gets a raw deal in all states because the home code exerts its influence in the media.

Then went on to infer that the exertion is stronger in victoria , as can be seen by the comparison that AFL gets more coverage in sydney then both codes combined get in melb.

You could also mount an argument that league / union combined have more of a following in victoria then what AFL have in sydney

but with the latest AFL / fox deal regarding media coverage its pretty clear that it is more a matter of the AFL flexing their muscles then absolute popularity related.

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Perhaps, the article was written from the perspective that soccer gets a raw deal in all states because the home code exerts its influence in the media.

Then went on to infer that the exertion is stronger in victoria , as can be seen by the comparison that AFL gets more coverage in sydney then both codes combined get in melb.
You could also mount an argument that league / union combined have more of a following in victoria then what AFL have in sydney
lol no!

but with the latest AFL / fox deal regarding media coverage its pretty clear that it is more a matter of the AFL flexing their muscles then absolute popularity related.
sporting codes and media deals with fox, what the ultimate leg up the league has had from news corp for the last few decades?
now the AFL's getting it.

Our Game

Club Legend
Sep 30, 2014
Sandringham
AFL Club
Geelong
Yeah what a joke the DT is the lowest of low of the gutter press and the SMH is a clone of the Age and as for the pathetic Australian the less said the better

kaypee

All Australian
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
New York Knicks and Chicago Bulls
Success of bbl presents a huge opportunity for them to work with afl for the benefit of both. Redevelop grounds, cross promote memberships, include the odd afl player who can swing a bat.
Long term some afl clubs could enter their own teams - crows, cats, dockers etc

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Success of bbl presents a huge opportunity for them to work with afl for the benefit of both. Redevelop grounds, cross promote memberships, include the odd afl player who can swing a bat.

Other than Ground developments, I dont see the rest happening. AFL clubs arent allowed to enter teams in other comps - a rule brough about by Carlton and Collingwoods disastrous foray into the NSL - and aside from tribute or testimonial matches, the BBL doesnt appear to be doing just fine without resorting to celebrities and borriwing from other codes.

Success is however good for the AFL in at least one other area, as long as one of the teams in based at Docklands, they have a decent summer tenant to make money off when they take over in 2025.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Nah, but there may be room for cross promotion, even an alignment in some cases. I'd have thought a team like Sydney Thunder would find GWS training facility down the road from Spotless Stadium pretty useful. Ditto any future team in Geelong or the Gold Coast. They only run for 2 months of the year so they aren't going to have their own.

Aussie in exile

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 21, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Yeah what a joke the DT is the lowest of low of the gutter press and the SMH is a clone of the Age and as for the pathetic Australian the less said the better
The DT is joined in the lowest of the low camp alongside the Herald Sun and the Courier Mail.
You would have to be of pretty low intelligence IMO if you think they are worthy reading.
IMO they are aimed at the lower end of society.

Roddy

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 10, 2006
M-Town
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Aussie Cricket team.
The DT is joined in the lowest of the low camp alongside the Herald Sun and the Courier Mail.
You would have to be of pretty low intelligence IMO if you think they are worthy reading.
IMO they are aimed at the lower end of society.
And not just in a sporting sense. Anything with the Murdoch moniker on it is purely agenda-pushing, gutter trash propaganda and must be taken with considerably less than a grain of salt. On just about any topic. Sport and politics especially.

Demonoid

All Australian
Dec 17, 2007
Canberra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
GWS
Interesting to see if the BBL will expand given its growth. There is talk of them going regional next year as a precursor to expansion post 2018

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/cricket/a/30478746/big-bash-league-could-go-regional-next-summer/
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...ng-to-get-bigger/story-fnp050m0-1227696317348

Canberra (Manuka), Gold Coast (Carrara), and Geelong (Kardinia Park) could all be in line to host and permanent expansion there could be good news (economically) for the AFL clubs who use these grounds - especially for Geelong.

Makes sense for WA cricket to also use the Perth Stadium - as cricket/AFL coexist in every other state.

Interestingly no mention of Newcastle - perhaps because there is no suitable oval (possibly due to very little AFL content/participation in the area).

I feel (a tiny bit) for the A-league. They went to summer to get some clear air. And now their Melbourne Derby has been upstaged...

Ichabod Noodle

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 13, 2011
The Riff
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Raiders, Brumbies
Nah, but there may be room for cross promotion, even an alignment in some cases. I'd have thought a team like Sydney Thunder would find GWS training facility down the road from Spotless Stadium pretty useful. Ditto any future team in Geelong or the Gold Coast. They only run for 2 months of the year so they aren't going to have their own.

They do find it useful, as they find the shared office space and other facilities useful as well - and as Giants members we get a discount on our Thunder membership (and I'm pretty sure Thunder members get a discount on their Giants membership too) at least that was the case last year, memberships for the Thunder were sold out before we got around to renewing this year :((but that's only because they limited membership to 3,000 - so next year, no doubt, they will have more on offer). But there's a definite partnership building between the two teams with quite a bit of cross promotion in emails and tweets from both.

Hoops

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 30, 2004
Forever in contention
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Vixens
For starters, he insists on calling soccer "football", so that's a bit of a giveaway.

How about this line: "So where does this leave football in Australia? On the one hand, considering where it’s been, it’s in a pretty good place."

Only a myopic soccer fan could conclude that soccer is in a good place - barely able to sustain a ten team comp with absolutely zero competition from the main football codes for much of its season.

He wants to see soccer do well, and that's fine, that's the right of every soccer fan - but he is pulling out the same old paranoid fantasies about everyone being out to get them, AFL fans not giving soccer a fair go (does he know that half of all victory members are AFL members?), etc
Not to mention the myth about the AFL trying to stop the world cup

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
Only going to get worse for them too. rights are up for negotiation a year before the BBL - the chaps over at fourfourtwo are expecting a Union type increase, even though they dont have the overseas market tension that Union had between in Europe. The BBL rights will go through the roof next time, its rating so damn well its not funny, and womens BBL is rating ok too.

Im expecting almost no increase at all for the Aleague in their next deal, and any increase may well be because of an Optus bid to get more soccer content - Fox to throw everything at a shot for the BBL rights. 2018 the BBL will expand, id expect two more teams - probably canberra and gold coast - and maybe even New Zealand, along with a longer BBL season.

May 13, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Brumbies, Socceroos
They do find it useful, as they find the shared office space and other facilities useful as well - and as Giants members we get a discount on our Thunder membership (and I'm pretty sure Thunder members get a discount on their Giants membership too) at least that was the case last year, memberships for the Thunder were sold out before we got around to renewing this year :((but that's only because they limited membership to 3,000 - so next year, no doubt, they will have more on offer). But there's a definite partnership building between the two teams with quite a bit of cross promotion in emails and tweets from both.

I could see something similar working for the suns if the gold coast were to get a BBL team.

As for Canberra, I think they are an obvious choice, would get good crowds immediately, and would ensure ongoing investment in Manuka, which is good for footy as well.

Some point down the track, Newcastle will have to face that all of Canberra, Gold Coast and Geelong would get BBL teams ahead of them - and that comes down to having an AFL presence in all cases.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back