Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You should call up the tv stations and let them know that people in sydney and brisbane love watching non sydney and brisbane teams.

I could, or I could just point out that for the last three rounds of tv deals the AFL has beaten all comers when the money is counted from tv despite rating like crap in Brisbane and Sydney. Its almost like the rights are based on national network coverage or something. Besides arent canberra, newcastle and geelong regional...and arent you all about counting the regions?

the two equal highest Metro figures for this season's BBL (983K Metro Only) have been for Perth v Adelaide, and Melb. Renegades v Hobart games.

Dare say more than a couple of Sydney or Brisbane viewers would be contributing to those two national metro figures.

This BBL thing is a beast, regardless of who is playing it seems.

Do they get decent ratings on fta? What about canberra or newcastle?

If Australian TV audiences are going to watch a team which is not even domiciled in Australia, do you think they might have the capacity to watch two teams which actually are domiciled in Australia? Which clubs will the Canberra team play? Well what do you know, as it happens, 7 of them will be from the metro areas - what a coincidence!

As for attendances, if Canberra can average 14k attendances, bigger than than what the majority of Sydney based NRL clubs get to their home matches, bigger than what the Raiders get as well, is that not a good result?

I would think it is.

FWIW id go with expansion via NZ - work with NZ cricket, gain more of the talent pool etc - probably a north and south island team setup.

The time zone opens up double headers, 6pm starts EST etc. Would work great on Weekends any time, this things seems to just rate...

FWIW id go with expansion via NZ - work with NZ cricket, gain more of the talent pool etc - probably a north and south island team setup.

The time zone opens up double headers, 6pm starts EST etc. Would work great on Weekends any time, this things seems to just rate...
I'd go one NZ team (Auckland) to begin with but let NZ players play for Australian teams and not count them as international players. Also one more AUstralian team

If Australian TV audiences are going to watch a team which is not even domiciled in Australia, do you think they might have the capacity to watch two teams which actually are domiciled in Australia? Which clubs will the Canberra team play? Well what do you know, as it happens, 7 of them will be from the metro areas - what a coincidence!

As for attendances, if Canberra can average 14k attendances, bigger than than what the majority of Sydney based NRL clubs get to their home matches, bigger than what the Raiders get as well, is that not a good result?

I would think it is.

14k in a ground which has a capacity of 13.5k? That would be a fantastic result.

14k in a ground which has a capacity of 13.5k? That would be a fantastic result.

The ground has had an attendance of over 14k a few times.

Most recently, last year in round 17 GWS vs Geelong got an attendance of 14,667 (a better attendance that what a lot of Sydney NRL clubs get).

What do you reckon - does that sound like over 14k?

My maths may not be too good, but geez, it looks like over 14k to me.

A Canberra T20 team would average 14k with ease.

The tale of two sports one over 100 years old with supposed massive untapped support the other a made up comp 5 years old
The Soccer last night in Melbourne had 9774 the Big Bash at Docklands 43,176 plus the BBL would have outrated the soccer many times over.Looks like the BS prediction that the soccer was to become the # 1 code in Australia is not going to happen anytime soon.
The big problem for the soccer mob is that the BBL will only get better as more people get involved esp kids.
BBL will be the must get sport on TV from now on with the channels fighting for it.Surprising how the Ch 9 the "cricket" channel have let the ball drop on this.

Last edited:
The tale of two sports one over 100 years old with supposed massive untapped support the other a made up comp 3 years old
The Soccer last night in Melbourne had 9774 the Big Bash at Docklands 43,176 plus the BBL would have outrated the soccer many times over.Looks like the BS prediction that the soccer was to become the # 1 code in Australia is not going to happen anytime soon.
The big problem for the soccer mob is that the BBL will only get better as more people get involved esp kids.
BBL will be the must get sport on TV from now on with the channels fighting for it.Surprising how the Ch 9 the "cricket" channel have let the ball drop on this.
Plus the ACB are very patient as well as very good at planning and getting their way.
The FFA not so much.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plus the ACB are very patient as well as very good at planning and getting their way.
The FFA not so much.

A lot of people went kicking and screaming into the big bash though. Remember the cries of 'what was wrong with the state vs state comp' in the first couple of years of the BBL?

The tale of two sports one over 100 years old with supposed massive untapped support the other a made up comp 3 years old

Another problem for the A-League is that the BBL is close to the best cricket can produce, not quite A grade but close to it whereas the A League is about the 20th best league in the world so everyone knows going to an A-League game they are getting a substandard game in the sport.

Im a teacher at a primary school pretty close to homebush. In my school we have 0 kids who play weekend cricket and i doubt many could tell you who steve smith is.

However, cricket australia has just started putting together an auskick type program and they ran it at my school for year 3 and 4s. They didnt get free footies like the nrl gove out or anything like that but all 160 kids seemed to really enjoy it.

The thunder fan engagement person sent out a unit of work on our 'local hero' where at the end the kids vould email fawad amad and ask him questions. By the end of the year when the bbl started a few kids went to the games and most could tell me scores especially when thunder played. Huge untapped market for kids in the bbl, especially kids from a non english speaking background. Will absolutely relegate soccer from the back page every season its on. Seems like they are getting their act together too. Just need free tickets like nrl and afl give out.

Yep, BBL cleaning up, next TV deal will be huge.

I can't believe some of the delusional garbage I read from many soccer fans. As others have said, BBL already had the runs on Fox (so to speak) before Ten became interested.

Soccer people expect some commercial FTA is going to pay big bucks for something that rates bugger all on both SBS and Fox.

They seem to have this idea that commercial FTA should stump up the money, then grow the game for them (rather than the reverse).

Yep, BBL cleaning up, next TV deal will be huge.

I can't believe some of the delusional garbage I read from many soccer fans. As others have said, BBL already had the runs on Fox (so to speak) before Ten became interested.

Soccer people expect some commercial FTA is going to pay big bucks for something that rates bugger all on both SBS and Fox.

They seem to have this idea that commercial FTA should stump up the money, then grow the game for them (rather than the reverse).

they have this idea that everyone else got big deals so should the Aleague. However, they lack the popularity and content of the AFL and NRL, and they dont have the broadcasters in the UK fighting over the rights (which is what boosted the Super Rugby deal for the most part). Their only hope of a decent increase is Optus - and that might happen if Optus decides to add it to the EPL rights, which might make sense.

Cookie have you created a spreadsheet with all the BBL ratings by city? Your initial spread sheet had some interesting numbers, namely Melbourne out-rating Sydney during matches.

It will be really interesting to see what the BBL get in their next deal. They will most likely keep all games on free to air so may not be as high as it could be but also both 7 and 9 know if they can get it; it will most likely guarantee them as the number one network.
I think the way it is going to affect The A-league the most is going to be sponsorship. It is now the 4th most popular league in the country and with over 40 teams playing in the other three more popular leagues it could make it tough for them

Another bit of bad news for soccer
Big Bash League jumps into top 10 of most attended sports leagues in the world
Date
January 11, 2016 - 1:01AM

• Chris Barrett
      Sports Writer
      1452434519567.jpg

A rise of nearly 5000 spectators per game and the place in the global top 10 to date this season is another representation of the fast emerging success of the BBL. Photo: Getty Images
      The Big Bash League has burst into the top 10 most attended sports leagues in the world.

Organisers of the Twenty20 tournament, in its fifth edition, are still trying to digest the enormity of the 80,883 crowd that turned up to the MCG for the derby between the Stars and Renegades a week ago.

1452434519567.jpg

Smash hit: A record crowd watched the Stars beat the Renegades in the inaugural Big Bash derby at the MCG. Photo: Getty Images

The upcoming Sydney derby next Saturday is also poised to be an SCG domestic record of up to 42,000, an attendance that will only help drive the average crowd figures further north.

Advertisement
      The late-season average of 28,279 before Sunday's two games has propelled the BBL to ninth position on the list of the world's most attended sports leagues, nudging ahead of Japan's professional baseball league (28,248) and Indian Super League football (26,376) and ensuring the Canadian Football League (24,737) and Italy's Serie A (23,001) are absent from the top 10.

The BBL clearly has a far smaller sample size than other competitions that fill spots inside and around the top 10. There were only 24 games played before Sunday's two matches between Hobart and Perth, and Sydney Sixers and Brisbane with a total attendance of nearly 700,000.

By contrast, the world's biggest league, the NFL, drew in excess of 17 million fans to its stadiums in the 2015 regular season. Major League Baseball comes in seventh with an average of 30,517 but with teams playing 162 games a season had a total attendance of more than 73 million.

Even so, a rise of nearly 5000 spectators per game and the place in the global top 10 to date this season is another representation of the fast emerging success of the BBL.

"That's flattering, given that the competition is only five years' old, to be in the company of some of those really established sports leagues," Big Bash manager Anthony Everard said on Sunday. "Having said that it's obviously not really our focus. Our focus is on our own backyard and making sure we continue to appeal to kids and families. That is as satisfying to us as perhaps some of those big numbers on a global scale."

The Big Bash figures are obviously improved by the massive crowd at the MCG.

"I think that number has been a real eye-opener for us," Everard said. "If I reflect on the first few years of the Big Bash we were astounded by mid-20,000s and I think we had 30,000 at the Gabba one night. Those were considered at the time to be fantastic numbers.

"Here we are eight or 10 days after that MCG game and we're still trying to get our heads around 80,00 fans at a Big Bash game. It gives us a real cause to reconsider where the opportunities are for the BBL and the growth available not just for Melbourne but all the other markets as well.

"We've stated that at the end of the season we're going to consider our options. I guess we sort of think of it as growth rather than expansion and it can take many different forms.

"It could potentially be more games ... we've already gone on the record to say we're not considering introducing new teams at the moment. We haven't put a time frame on that. We're not going to get caught up in its success this year and make too many knee-jerk reactions."

Top 10 most watched sports leagues (average crowds, 2015/16)

1. NFL 68,278

2. German Bundesliga 43,331

3. US College Football Division I FBL 43,288

4. English Premier League 36,464

*5. AFL 33,428

6. Indian Premier League 31,750*

7. Major League Baseball 30,517

8. La Liga 28,498

*9. Big Bash League 28,279

10. Nippon Professional Baseball 28,248

* IPL figures are from 2014 tournament when first 20 games were played in the UAE and are unofficial.

Considering the the USA have a pop of 320+ million Germany 83,00,000 and the UK 64,00,000 the AFL and BBL crowds as a percentage of population are actually #! and #2 in the world

Another bit of bad news for soccer
Big Bash League jumps into top 10 of most attended sports leagues in the world
Date
January 11, 2016 - 1:01AM

• Chris Barrett
      Sports Writer
      1452434519567.jpg

A rise of nearly 5000 spectators per game and the place in the global top 10 to date this season is another representation of the fast emerging success of the BBL. Photo: Getty Images
      The Big Bash League has burst into the top 10 most attended sports leagues in the world.

Organisers of the Twenty20 tournament, in its fifth edition, are still trying to digest the enormity of the 80,883 crowd that turned up to the MCG for the derby between the Stars and Renegades a week ago.

1452434519567.jpg

Smash hit: A record crowd watched the Stars beat the Renegades in the inaugural Big Bash derby at the MCG. Photo: Getty Images

The upcoming Sydney derby next Saturday is also poised to be an SCG domestic record of up to 42,000, an attendance that will only help drive the average crowd figures further north.

Advertisement
      The late-season average of 28,279 before Sunday's two games has propelled the BBL to ninth position on the list of the world's most attended sports leagues, nudging ahead of Japan's professional baseball league (28,248) and Indian Super League football (26,376) and ensuring the Canadian Football League (24,737) and Italy's Serie A (23,001) are absent from the top 10.

The BBL clearly has a far smaller sample size than other competitions that fill spots inside and around the top 10. There were only 24 games played before Sunday's two matches between Hobart and Perth, and Sydney Sixers and Brisbane with a total attendance of nearly 700,000.

By contrast, the world's biggest league, the NFL, drew in excess of 17 million fans to its stadiums in the 2015 regular season. Major League Baseball comes in seventh with an average of 30,517 but with teams playing 162 games a season had a total attendance of more than 73 million.

Even so, a rise of nearly 5000 spectators per game and the place in the global top 10 to date this season is another representation of the fast emerging success of the BBL.

"That's flattering, given that the competition is only five years' old, to be in the company of some of those really established sports leagues," Big Bash manager Anthony Everard said on Sunday. "Having said that it's obviously not really our focus. Our focus is on our own backyard and making sure we continue to appeal to kids and families. That is as satisfying to us as perhaps some of those big numbers on a global scale."

The Big Bash figures are obviously improved by the massive crowd at the MCG.

"I think that number has been a real eye-opener for us," Everard said. "If I reflect on the first few years of the Big Bash we were astounded by mid-20,000s and I think we had 30,000 at the Gabba one night. Those were considered at the time to be fantastic numbers.

"Here we are eight or 10 days after that MCG game and we're still trying to get our heads around 80,00 fans at a Big Bash game. It gives us a real cause to reconsider where the opportunities are for the BBL and the growth available not just for Melbourne but all the other markets as well.

"We've stated that at the end of the season we're going to consider our options. I guess we sort of think of it as growth rather than expansion and it can take many different forms.

"It could potentially be more games ... we've already gone on the record to say we're not considering introducing new teams at the moment. We haven't put a time frame on that. We're not going to get caught up in its success this year and make too many knee-jerk reactions."

Top 10 most watched sports leagues (average crowds, 2015/16)

1. NFL 68,278

2. German Bundesliga 43,331

3. US College Football Division I FBL 43,288

4. English Premier League 36,464

*5. AFL 33,428

6. Indian Premier League 31,750*

7. Major League Baseball 30,517

8. La Liga 28,498

*9. Big Bash League 28,279

10. Nippon Professional Baseball 28,248

* IPL figures are from 2014 tournament when first 20 games were played in the UAE and are unofficial.

Considering the the USA have a pop of 320+ million Germany 83,00,000 and the UK 64,00,000 the AFL and BBL crowds as a percentage of population are actually #! and #2 in the world
are the ticket prices similar prices for the different venues around Australia?

i can see the crowd figures growing, with the Addition of the new Perth Stadium & if the Thunder keep getting large crowds, if they decide to move back access to the Stadium Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back