Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

there are legitimate concerns being voiced by fans. But the proof is in the attendances, and other than rnd1s poor scheduling the crowds have been pretty solid overall.

Looks like close to 70,000 at the G tonight.

I just flicked through the other codes on TV and NONE have a decent crowd

The NRL have maybe 20,000 at the SCG for a special event game Soccer and Rugby both pathetic so I think people should get some perspective about the AFL crowds

Looks like close to 70,000 at the G tonight.

I just flicked through the other codes on TV and NONE have a decent crowd

The NRL have maybe 20,000 at the SCG for a special event game Soccer and Rugby both pathetic so I think people should get some perspective about the AFL crowds
Iirc the nrl got 36k a few years ago for an SCG game. Seems as though the novelty of it wore off pretty quickly

Iirc the nrl got 36k a few years ago for an SCG game. Seems as though the novelty of it wore off pretty quickly

Sydney Cricket Ground
Sport/Event Crowd No.Team/ArtistDate
Cricket58,446 Aust v England15.12.1928
Australian Rules46,168Sydney v Geelong30.8.1997
Rugby League 78,056 St George v Souths18.9.1965
Rugby Union 49,327 NSW v New Zealand13.7.1907
Soccer51,566NSW v Everton2.5.1964
Concert46,854WaveAid - Concert for the Tsunami29.1.2005

1965 was a different era, no nostalgia value in playing at the SCG.

Last edited:
Sydney Cricket Ground
Sport/Event Crowd No.Team/ArtistDate
Cricket58,446 Aust v England15.12.1928
Australian Rules46,168Sydney v Geelong30.8.1997
Rugby League78,056St George v Souths18.9.1965
Rugby

Union
49,327NSW v New Zealand13.7.1907
Soccer51,566NSW v Everton2.5.1964
Concert46,854WaveAid - Concert for the Tsunami29.1.2005

1965 was a different era, no nostalgia value in playing at the SCG.

I think the SCG capacity is now 48,000 but I doubt the Swans will fill the ground very often.

There must be a reason for all the codes to be down in Sydney.

Rain. Plus SCG is s**t to watch NRL. I had 6 free tickets in the members and didn't bother going.

7k at the Panthers yesterday. Crisis levels almost

I have said it before, and i will say it again, RL is slipping down the totem pole of sports in Sydney and has been for quite a number of years, the cracks have been papered over for a very long time IMO, they are just more visible ATM.

They may or may not have a resurgence, they certainly have enough money, but they have been gradually losing market share to other football codes and in general other forms of entertainment for about 20 years IMO, and i don't think they will ever claw that back.

I have said it before, and i will say it again, RL is slipping down the totem pole of sports in Sydney and has been for quite a number of years, the cracks have been papered over for a very long time IMO, they are just more visible ATM.

They may or may not have a resurgence, they certainly have enough money, but they have been gradually losing market share to other football codes and in general other forms of entertainment for about 20 years IMO, and i don't think they will ever claw that back.
Agreed. I don't think there's any denying this now.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's not like other codes in Sydney are pulling in massive crowds.

They just don't care about sport, and they need hype levels to be high to bother showing up. They go to events, not sports. That's why MLB went there and not Melbourne. A little bit of glitter and they come from everywhere.

Slipping in favour of what though?

Slipping in favour of what though?

Well the market share that RL has lost has not really been taken by AF, although with the growth of GWS juniors there has been some crossover.

In essence at junior level RL in Sydneys west, which is the heartland of RL, has been continually eaten away by soccer over the last 20 years, the only real growth at junior RL level in Sydneys west has been growth from Polynesian families who have immigrated here in the last 20 years, take them away and junior RL would be nearly dead and buried.

It's not like other codes in Sydney are pulling in massive crowds.

They just don't care about sport, and they need hype levels to be high to bother showing up. They go to events, not sports. That's why MLB went there and not Melbourne. A little bit of glitter and they come from everywhere.

In the general scheme of things RL was pulling semi-decent crowds in Sydney, and there is no doubt the Sydney football market is particuarly segmented, but unless something dramatic happens RL ( IMO) will lose more market share and possibly lose some more Sydney NRL clubs.

Sydney is not Australias RL headquarters anymore, that title goes to QLD, no football code is absolute king of Sydney, but it is undoubtedly the heartland and headquarters of Australian soccer.

7016 for GWS with 4 free adult tickets to anyone who wanted them.

16k at Liechhardt for comparisons sakes.

In the general scheme of things RL was pulling semi-decent crowds in Sydney, and there is no doubt the Sydney football market is particuarly segmented, but unless something dramatic happens RL ( IMO) will lose more market share and possibly lose some more Sydney NRL clubs.

Sydney is not Australias RL headquarters anymore, that title goes to QLD, no football code is absolute king of Sydney, but it is undoubtedly the heartland and headquarters of Australian soccer.

How do you figure? Melbourne has got better crowds than Sydney since the inception of the a league

7016 for GWS with 4 free adult tickets to anyone who wanted them.

16k at Liechhardt for comparisons sakes.

Bugger me some atrocious weather over the weekend in Sydney. Watching the SFC v Phoenix game earlier and the ground looked soaking wet.

Credit to anyone who ventured out over the weekend.

What evidence is there now that Rugby League is losing market share in Sydney. I hope you've got more than Wanderers crowds to throw at me, since Crowds are coming back to an even keel after a rocky start (round 5 this year should beat round 5 last year - needs only a crowd of 7,000 or so to show up at Nth Queenslands game tonight, and they average more than 12k this season), tv viewing for rugby league is still king of all sports in Sydney BY MILES.

As for losing clubs, the only one in any danger at the moment is the Balmain half of Wests Tigers, and Western Suburbs would probably gleefully take the equity there in any case. Cronulla has been in worse positions than its in now, thanks to its development deal.

Again, id like to see some evidence of this. Soccer has had participation going for it over everyone for decades, but at the professional level, as far as Im aware, league is streets ahead of every other code in terms of support, income, tv audience, as well as total members and attendances on any given weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back