Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I see what you did there, and your post as always, is befitting of your previous ones !!, i have long been a advocate of International Aussie Rules, and feel anyone of any race, creed and colour is welcome, certainly any community club that i have been involved in and coached at have always treated kids reagrdless of who they are and when they come from the same, untill they give me a reason to think otherwise.

My posts on the international football board will back me up on this.

However, if we are talking junior football and i thought my children were out of the depth playing football because many of the other kids were much bigger and stronger, i would seriously look at taking them out, that is actually being a responsible parent, not a racist, the fact that many of the very big children playing RL are Polynesian is not my fault, or most of the time their's either.

And FWIW this is the only post of yours i will respond to, the rest are just to cheap.

James Hird played RL as a kid (not sure how many games he played), he got knocked the * out by a large Polynesian kid with a full beard and never played again.

Please don't play the race card, i thought we could actually have a civil discussion, the simple undeniable fact is that many Anglo parents, RL's traditional demo for 80 or 90 years have drifted away from RL in the last 20 years because of the fact that in many JRL comps they are scared of their kids getting hurt, one of the reasons is the weight and size issue from mainly Polynesian kids, Polynesian kids can't help it, and stating it does not make me a racist, your statement bolded appears quite petty.

Mate, I pointed out previously that a lot of people who don't want to play the contact version of Rugby League, instead play TOuch and Tag versions of the sports. The numbers of participants in these versions dwarfs the amount of people playing most sports in Australia (Soccer excluded). Funny how you ignore facts that don't suit your argument. Bad news for you in that the NRL now owns these bodies.

Mate, I pointed out previously that a lot of people who don't want to play the contact version of Rugby League, instead play TOuch and Tag versions of the sports. The numbers of participants in these versions dwarfs the amount of people playing most sports in Australia (Soccer excluded). Funny how you ignore facts that don't suit your argument. Bad news for you in that the NRL now owns these bodies.

The NRl as of now does not OWN either Touch or Oztag. Negotiations with oztag were still going in February according to this article and ive yet to find an update. The administrators of oztag as of the article going to press cosnider themselves a separate sport. Touch Football Australia is not owned by the NRL, according to its Annual Report and this article, they have developed a strategic alliance, which has resulted in some members of the board coming from the NRL.

As for participation, yes it will boost the numbers claimed by the ARLC significantly. But Touch and Oztag combined reportedly have 560k participants, which puts them behind the AFL (938k), and Cricket (952k) as well as Soccer. The NRL (553k) combined with Touch (457k) and eventially Oztag will begin to approach soccer levels.

The NRl as of now does not OWN either Touch or Oztag. Negotiations with oztag were still going in February according to this article and ive yet to find an update. The administrators of oztag as of the article going to press cosnider themselves a separate sport. Touch Football Australia is not owned by the NRL, according to its Annual Report and this article, they have developed a strategic alliance, which has resulted in some members of the board coming from the NRL.

As for participation, yes it will boost the numbers claimed by the ARLC significantly. But Touch and Oztag combined reportedly have 560k participants, which puts them behind the AFL (938k), and Cricket (952k) as well as Soccer. The NRL (553k) combined with Touch (457k) and eventially Oztag will begin to approach soccer levels.

Touch and Oztag should remain as separate sports. It's illogical to do anything else. These sports need to have there own direction, but with the NRL assisting can do things that probably aren't possible otherwise.

Touch Football Articles
http://www.playnrl.com/touch-football/nrltfa-partnership/
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...olden-future-for-the-game-20130808-2rkor.html
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...-join-touch-football-team-20140312-hvhwg.html
New Touch Logo
http://www.austouch.com.au/typo3temp/pics/5765b50eb5.jpg

Oztag
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...rship-with-oztag/story-fni3fbgz-1226837586096

Seems the deal hasn't been sealed yet with Oztag. Could swear I read something different.

Either way, the numbers being quoted in the articles are huge, and given both sports are versions of the game that came out of Rugby League, it makes sense to re-align them with their parent sport.

Well i actually have posted statements from people in charge of the Penrith and Parramatta junior RL districts, that is pretty good proof !!, there claim that around 50% of Penrith and Parramatta juniors are Polynesian, that is not ( well it is now) RL's traditional demo, those kids obviously do not play any RL anymore, wonder what sport those kids are playing now ???, and i wonder what sport their parents are supporting more and more ???.

Further i have Phil Gould agreeing with my assertion.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...for-juniors-weighty-issue-20110319-1c1ba.html.

In some regions or teams the domination ( polynesian) could be as high as 80-90 per cent.

However, if we lose kids and their parents in these early years, do we not run the risk of losing our future fans, viewers, administrators and sponsors?

And further to that i have seen with my own eyes, over the past 30 years parental changes and demographic drifts and changes to sport.

I have seen a great number of families view contact sport in a totally different light to the generations prviously, smaller families 'protect' their kids more, they are more 'valued' than in previous generations and cottonwool them more, there has been a steady transition to softer contact sports, soccer has greatly benifitted from this, combined with the rise of polynesian power athletes in the rugby codes, which although good for the NRL has not been good for community RL.

I think i have outlined how RL is losing market share in Sydney, i dont think its rocket science, it is pretty obvious.

And quite frankly your assertion that because i don't live in Sydney my comments are not worth anything is just ludicrous. FYI i have lived in Sydney.
Whats this thing you have about polynesian's?

Perth's ratings are still soft as all get out, becoming a point of concern. Hopefully the change back to 2 hours instead of 3 hours time difference assists matters.

Dogs Of War, saviour01, ringleader - Do you league guys think NRL is missing a trick not placing a team in Perth, or is this current regime of 1~3 games a year being taken on the road to Perth the ideal scenario? I know the debate on LU is fairly fierce about the concept, mostly pro-expansion but certainly a lot of dissenters.

Dogs Of War, saviour01, ringleader - Do you league guys think NRL is missing a trick not placing a team in Perth, or is this current regime of 1~3 games a year being taken on the road to Perth the ideal scenario? I know the debate on LU is fairly fierce about the concept, mostly pro-expansion but certainly a lot of dissenters.

It's not like the NRL doesn't want to do expansion, it's just that they want to make sure they do it the right way and have said 2017 is when things will get a move on. I do feel that Brisbane 2 is locked in, Perth very strong, especially with what they have been doing off there own bat to show they want a team, with Wellington the long shot. Central Coast isn't going to generate any new viewers, if anything it fragments other teams support bases.

As for taking games to Perth, it's something that needs to happen, to assist any new team in building interest, and also testing interest in the state. One off games prove nothing but novelty, so at least 3 games a year need to be scheduled to see how support reacts. I'm happy how the NRL is approaching the situation, because expansion needs to be done right, and the NRL may need to support franchises in new areas for a considerable time.

I have posted before how the NRL (or stadiums) have inflated crowds for Titans and Storm - we can now add the Canberra Raiders (and to be fair the ACT Brumbies as this is an issue with Canberra stadium) to that list

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/act-spo...nister-andrew-barr-claims-20140407-zqrsh.html

1) This is hilarious and has just been sent a a few Leaguies I work with here in Canberra.
2) This idea that a new stadium will fix everything is a bit naive. I agree a roof or a better location will help a bit, but being at the ground is NEVER going to be as comfortable as being at home on the couch. When the Raiders are playing finals or Bumbies are playing the Lions the stadium and weather don't seem to matter. General interest in attending live sport every week just doesn't seem to be part of this city's DNA.

Whats this thing you have about polynesian's?

No problem at all, simply quoting what other people have said,

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/size-may-prompt-kids-to-choose-afl-20100624-z3lt.html

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/sportsfactor/polynesian-power-play/3247980

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/08/05/weight-for-age-in-junior-rugby-league/

ATM in WS there are according to this article 66,000 kids playing soccer, 22,000 playing RL, the proportion of kids playing RL to soccer was not always like it is now, soccer has made enormous inroads into RL heartland, AF has now around 3,000 kids playing, i made a comment that RL is losing market share in Sydney.

When in WS which is a RL stronghold you have 3 kids playing soccer to just 1 playing RL, i would venture to say the game has lost market share.

http://www.westsydneyrl.leaguenet.c...s]=368&tx_ttnews[backPid]=44&cHash=baf7adcf1f

Since the 50's when a lot of migrants from Europe came to Australia. THus why the old NSL league was made up of teams aligned to countries.

Agreed, soccer became big post WW2 on the back of European and British migration, but Anglo kids, and by Anglo kids i mean mainly Australian born kids whose descendants were also born here and go back a few generations did not play soccer, it only became popular amongst these kids from the 1980's up ( IMO).

In Western Sydney ATM 66,000 kids play soccer, 22,000 play RL, that huge discrepancy in playing numbers did not always exist, there has been a huge crossover, and i believe that my point regarding RL losing market share in Sydney is valid.

The link from where i got those figures is on another post.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

the proportion of kids playing RL to soccer was not always like it is now

Another one of your Perth based facts which you don't have a source for.

Where did you acquire all this knowledge on Rugby League in Sydney and Queensland?

Why do you get upset when people question question your Rugby League expertise considering you live nowhere near the areas you claim to have all kinds of knowledge on and you have also never had any involvement in junior Rugby League ?

Why do you continuously mention Polynesians even after Auckmel posted pictures of teams that prove your theories wrong?

James Hird played RL as a kid (not sure how many games he played), he got knocked the **** out by a large Polynesian kid with a full beard and never played again.

Did he play in the AFL again after he had his entire face rearranged by Mark McVeigh?

Perth's ratings are still soft as all get out, becoming a point of concern. Hopefully the change back to 2 hours instead of 3 hours time difference assists matters.

The only people against it seem to be the ones who want to bring back newtown, north sydney bears and syd uni. They seem to have a decent supporter base, a strong business model and I can't see any reason why they won't be brought in to the comp in 2016.

Why do you continuously mention Polynesians even after Auckmel posted pictures of teams that prove your theories wrong?

To be fair Phil did ease up on his initial assertions about the Kiwi Polynesian influence in WA.

The only people against it seem to be the ones who want to bring back newtown, north sydney bears and syd uni. They seem to have a decent supporter base, a strong business model and I can't see any reason why they won't be brought in to the comp in 2016.

Yeah, I've noticed that trend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back