Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
like the NRL?
it already out rates the NRL GF that is played on a sunday evening, the AFL GF is played on the old traditional saturday after noon
Yes but Sat afternoon is not Prime time in fact it is a TV dead zone.The GF played at Night in prime time would outrate the nrl by a million!
Dont forget millions of people work on Sat afternoons and cant watch live.

Yes but Sat afternoon is not Prime time in fact it is a TV dead zone.The GF played at Night in prime time would outrate the nrl by a million!
yeah i release that. just stating that the AFL out rates the NRL GF. there is a large push every year to change it to an evening GF, but the AFL seems rather hesitant to change the time it is played

Only a million? I reckon it would be 10 million! Don't you know people go to bunnings on a saturday?

Imagine if the AFL played a Grand Final, not only at night, but on a decent ratings night, like say Wednesday...

From the AFL today on SEN, they have made a stance going forward, that crowds are the most important aspect of growing the game. The AFL is strong in attendance, with well publicised drops in Melbourne this season.

Next season a more friendly fixture will allow for a strong growth in attendance across the league.

From the AFL today on SEN, they have made a stance going forward, that crowds are the most important aspect of growing the game. The AFL is strong in attendance, with well publicised drops in Melbourne this season.

Next season a more friendly fixture will allow for a strong growth in attendance across the league.

I think they learnt a few things this season. Mclachlans statement that crowds are vital to the leagues interests bodes well next year. No monday or Sunday nights. More thursdays - and i dare say several of them in Adelaide at least.

does any one know how the sunday evening NRL games rates?
if the AFL really wanted to run with their sunday evening games, why not use the WA clubs because of the time difference.
a WA team vs a Victorian team, the WA AFL fans are nuts, the dockers & eagles are very well supported clubs, start the games at around 4 or 5 pm in the west, then the AFL gets prime time in the rest of the country

does any one know how the sunday evening NRL games rates?
if the AFL really wanted to run with their sunday evening games, why not use the WA clubs because of the time difference.
a WA team vs a Victorian team, the WA AFL fans are nuts, the dockers & eagles are very well supported clubs, start the games at around 4 or 5 pm in the west, then the AFL gets prime time in the rest of the country

LOL, yeah just give us all the s**t timeslots over here. Victoria being such a fragile AFL market and all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

4-5pm Sunday is a s**t timeslot for many. Victorian clubs certainly complain about it when they get the Sunday twilight fixture.

The afl need to make a call on priority being crowds or tv audience. If it's tv, cool, but then we need to re look at how match day revenues are managed, so clubs don't carry the can for having these less crowd friendly timeslots

The afl need to make a call on priority being crowds or tv audience. If it's tv, cool, but then we need to re look at how match day revenues are managed, so clubs don't carry the can for having these less crowd friendly timeslots

It's never going to be a matter of one or the other, there just has to be some balance. I'd be in full agreement with a system that compensates clubs for a rubbish draw, as long as it's transparent and applies evenly throughout the league.

It's never going to be a matter of one or the other, there just has to be some balance. I'd be in full agreement with a system that compensates clubs for a rubbish draw, as long as it's transparent and applies evenly throughout the league.

Afl scheduling however if preferencing tv, but expecting crowds to roll over and still come. As you said, it needs a balance

100% agree with the second part. The lack of transparency is the main issue with current compensation measures imo

THE state government has stamped a death notice on one of Sydney’s favourite Sunday afternoon activities — watching NRL games at traditional old suburban grounds.

The days of getting rugged up on weekend afternoons to enjoy a pie and beer on the hill at the famous footy ovals are soon to be gone under plans to raise our sporting facilities to an international level.

Sports Minister Stuart Ayres said the government would no longer invest in the district venues where rugby league has been played for more than a century. Instead, money would be poured into major upgrades at Allianz and ANZ stadiums, including a retractable roof over the Homebush Olympic venue.

ROTHFIELD COMMENT: KILLING OFF SUBURBAN FOOTY A MISTAKE

Old favourites such as Leichhardt Oval, Shark Park, Brookvale and Kogarah will either be left to rot or become training facilities and multi-purpose venues for wider use, similar to Redfern Oval and Belmore Sports Ground.

Mr Ayres insisted all future government spending would be restricted to the bigger facilities, ANZ and Allianz, plus a third, as yet undetermined, venue in Sydney’s west.

He said nine Sydney NRL clubs can only survive in such a cramped market by generating more revenue from higher memberships and use of the bigger venues.

What do you think of the government's decision to fund big stadiums at the expense of suburban NRL grounds?
Agree - it's the way of the futureDisagree - suburban grounds are the soul of rugby league
VoteView Results

“My long-term view ... is that we have to make the transition from suburban grounds to major stadium facilities,” Mr Ayres said.

“Sport in NSW will not compete nationally or internationally if we restrict ourselves to suburban facilities.

“If you’re an NRL club driving towards 20,000 to 25,000 members, the suburban ground will not service your membership and won’t have enough seats to sell to other customers as well.”

Pressed about losing old favourites such as Leichhardt Oval, the minister stood firm.

“Absolutely it’s special and important to that community,” he said. “But its role as a facility to play national sport in is limited to maybe one or two events a year.

“I don’t see it as part of our core strategy in NSW. It offers some nostalgia but not as a financially viable sports base.

Artist’s impression of ANZ Stadium masterplan.Source: Supplied

“The biggest impact on Sydney crowds is the poor state of facilities and the accessibility of these facilities.

“People have been turning away from small suburban grounds ... because they don’t offer the experience you get at home watching Channel Nine or Foxtel.

“So they don’t go as frequently as they would if they were offered a better product. If we offer good quality facilities they will turn up.”

Mr Ayres is a fanatical Panthers fan, whose own home ground could be in the firing line under the new policy.

Manly’s home ground Brookvale Oval is a favourite on the North Shore.Source: News Limited

“I love watching the Panthers at home,” he said, “But if it’s the 14th of July and you’re sitting up on the northern hill on a Monday night, it’s pretty cold and the experience isn’t all that hospitable.”

The future of the Penrith facility will be the centre of interesting manoeuvring in coming months, with the minister caught in a tough situation. He is the local member for Penrith and has formed a tight relationship with influential Panthers boss Phil Gould, who is furiously lobbying for the third stadium to be built on the site of their current home ground.

This is despite pressure on the government to do the more obvious redevelopment of Parramatta Stadium, home to the Eels and the Western Sydney Wanderers, who boast massive supporter bases.

Already, $29 million of federal and state money has been committed to Parramatta, which will only increase the venue by 4000 seats and improve training facilities.

“Sport has to pay its own way in the NSW budget,” Mr Ayres said, adding that he was confident Sydney would eventually overtake Melbourne as the nation’s sporting capital.

will be interesting how the NRL community handle it, as the NRL has never really had the crowds the AFL has.
around a year or so ago NRL david smith has stated that the NRL will try and push to start using stadiums instead of the club grounds but many of the club presidents, came out swinging that the'd prefer to use the clubs home grounds as it is more profitable for the clubs

will be interesting how the NRL community handle it, as the NRL has never really had the crowds the AFL has.
around a year or so ago NRL david smith has stated that the NRL will try and push to start using stadiums instead of the club grounds but many of the club presidents, came out swinging that the'd prefer to use the clubs home grounds as it is more profitable for the clubs

Not well i suspect, i find it really interesting that Stuart Ayres the current NSW sports minister is a great Aussie rules fan having played 200 games for Penrith Rams AFL club and also was a development Officer for the AFL in Sydney, IMO that pretty well means that whatever happens regarding stadiums in NSW the AFL will not miss out on anything.

You can pretty well bet London to a brick that ANZ stadium will remain in oval mode and not remodelled to a rectangular stadium and i note that the picture linked in the above article is the oval playing surface with a roof.

Not well i suspect, i find it really interesting that Stuart Ayres the current NSW sports minister is a great Aussie rules fan having played 200 games for Penrith Rams AFL club and also was a development Officer for the AFL in Sydney, IMO that pretty well means that whatever happens regarding stadiums in NSW the AFL will not miss out on anything.

You can pretty well bet London to a brick that ANZ stadium will remain in oval mode and not remodelled to a rectangular stadium and i note that the picture linked in the above article is the oval playing surface with a roof.
I see Gaham Samuels ( ex AFL commissioner now on the NRL commission) hands all over this.
Remember he was the one that pushed the AFL to abandon the old surburban grounds 20 years back.

It will be interesting to see how much the NSW govt is willing to tip in to putting a roof on the despised ANZ stadium.

The Sydney mob just cant help themselves LOL“Sport has to pay its own way in the NSW budget,” Mr Ayres said, adding that he was confident Sydney would eventually overtake Melbourne as the nation’s sporting capital. Dream om fools.

they already have enough purpose built rectangular stadiums in NSW, with out the olympics, ANZ stadium would never have been built.
the future is multi purpose venues.eg etihad stadium, why would they make it just rectangular, that would exclude using it for the AFL and cricket.
the NRL, superleague & a league hardly have the need for a 84k rectangular seater. when they struggle to fill allianz

I see Gaham Samuels ( ex AFL commissioner now on the NRL commission) hands all over this.
Remember he was the one that pushed the AFL to abandon the old surburban grounds 20 years back.

It will be interesting to see how much the NSW govt is willing to tip in to putting a roof on the despised ANZ stadium.

The Sydney mob just cant help themselves LOL“Sport has to pay its own way in the NSW budget,” Mr Ayres said, adding that he was confident Sydney would eventually overtake Melbourne as the nation’s sporting capital. Dream om fools.
there is also plans to put a roof on Allianz stadium.
it would be typical NSW, put a roof in ANZ then bulldoze the stadium and build another stadium.

2014NRLcrowdsr18.png

2014AFLcrowdsr17.png

Huge weekend for Rugby league with it being dedicated to, Alex McKinnon. Would be pretty disappointing if we didn't see a few extra bums on seats with the NRL donating a $1 back for everyone through the gate.

Huge weekend for Rugby league with it being dedicated to, Alex McKinnon. Would be pretty disappointing if we didn't see a few extra bums on seats with the NRL donating a $1 back for everyone through the gate.
Nice to hear some good initiatives and causes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back