Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Well either the 490,000 who watched Origin in Melbourne is reflective of a greater interest in league and thus will be watching league in Melbourne every week OR the ratings will return to their usual 20-40k per game. The crowd will drop from 90,000 to 10-15k OR reflecting the greater interest shown at Origin will result in automatic sellouts every week at Aami Park, ahead of a move to the MCG for all its games when its contract expires at Aami Parkk.

To me personally I imagine NRL State of Origin in Melbourne as a one off event like Melbourne vs Liverpool in the Soccer. From memory it sold out the MCG as well but it didn't really increase the general support for the Melbourne Victory.

Victoria loves one off sporting events. There is a lot of evidence to prove that.

Well either the 490,000 who watched Origin in Melbourne is reflective of a greater interest in league and thus will be watching league in Melbourne every week OR the ratings will return to their usual 20-40k per game. The crowd will drop from 90,000 to 10-15k OR reflecting the greater interest shown at Origin will result in automatic sellouts every week at Aami Park, ahead of a move to the MCG for all its games when its contract expires at Aami Parkk.

LoL

Storm on 9 for the 2nd time this season (not that anyone would know) should at least give the ratings a boost and the Broncos should inflate the crowd a bit. Pity Slater's out as he remains one of the sides great draw-cards.

Only 14000 at a half full AAMI yesterday on the back of SOO which is poor for a very sucessfull club in a 4.6 million market after 15 seasons so all the people having a go at the GWS crowds should take heed.

To me personally I imagine NRL State of Origin in Melbourne as a one off event like Melbourne vs Liverpool in the Soccer. From memory it sold out the MCG as well but it didn't really increase the general support for the Melbourne Victory.

Victoria loves one off sporting events. There is a lot of evidence to prove that.
These one off events don't really do much for the local team. They get paid an appearance fee and that's it. The Stadium was set up as a Liverpool 'home' game. Nothing Melbourne Victory there.
Liverpool match brought 35k inter state/overseas visitors to Melbourne. Unless you follow the overseas club, not many local fans will go due to extream prices and the Youth team that was playing.
However since then Victorys average crowd has risen 7k and memberships 4k.
They beat every NRL club with exception of Broncos at the gate.

just to further illustrate the point ive been trying to make here - the total crowd for 7 matches this round in the NRL was 83k. Origin was 91.

2015NRLcrowdsR15.png

just to further illustrate the point ive been trying to make here - the total crowd for 7 matches this round in the NRL was 83k. Origin was 91.

2015NRLcrowdsR15.png
Pretty shocking stats there Wookie for a comp that wants to have an average of 20,000 by 2200 I think the more they favour TV over the fans going to matches the more the NRL crowds will drop.

Yeh, sure does suck for the nrl that more people watched origin in melbourne than any afl games this year. See the articles lately that they will sell origin individually for 100m a year?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeh, sure does suck for the nrl that more people watched origin in melbourne than any afl games this year. See the articles lately that they will sell origin individually for 100m a year?

I note the Storm game got a huge TV audience of 32k in Melbourne on Sunday. No broadcast on Fox to compete with either.

Clearly all those people that watched origin were hungry for more. Literally hungry, because they all watched Masterchef instead.

6 out of 10 mate. Missed a couple of the bigger fish, but not bad all the same.

I could be wrong here but one thing I have noticed about the difference between the AFL and NRL is that the average AFL fan is more committed to the sport. In terms of TV viewing figures both codes are largely similar but there is a big difference in other key areas

Live Streaming
AFL - 84 million
NRL - 34 million

http://www.footyindustry.com/?page_id=486

Crowds
AFL - 33,114
NRL - 15,159

Monthly web traffic to competitions home sites
AFL - 5.5 million
NRL - 2.6 million

http://www.similarweb.com/website/afl.com.au?competitors=nrl.com

Membership (late Feb 2015)
AFL - 681,831
NRL - 170,506

Biggest football forum
AFL (bigfooty) - 37,850,905 posts
NRL (leagueunlimited) - 10,695,090 posts

While NRL fans seem happy to sit on the couch and flick on the game AFL fans seem in general to be far more involved and invested in their game

Look at all of the usual suspects biting their nails. This current media rights negotiation will be even more fun to watch than the Rexona Challenge.

Noticed you forgot the social media figures RUNVS. Thought they'd be at the front of your mind as you seem like such a social person.

Look at all of the usual suspects biting their nails. This current media rights negotiation will be even more fun to watch than the Rexona Challenge.

Noticed you forgot the social media figures RUNVS. Thought they'd be at the front of your mind as you seem like such a social person.

Again. Signing up for following the NRL on facebook does not really require any effort on anyones part. I only included things that actually require effort and shows more than a basic interest in the sport.

Again. Signing up for following the NRL on facebook does not really require any effort on anyones part. I only included things that actually require effort and shows more than a basic interest in the sport.
Yet you included web traffic as calculated by SimilarWeb.com. :$
You'll never change.

And you are strongly advised that trolling this forum will not be tolerated.

I think to aim for a 20k attendance average by 2200 is realistic on the part of the NRL.
considering the crowd levels haven't really gone anywhere for the last decade, its pretty much an unrealistic chance, now with all the digital streaming, & watch any game you want with the control of your finger tips! the NRL has a snowflakes in hell's chance of ever reaching 20k by 2020. IMO over the next 5 years we will see the NRL's and even the AFL's will drop a few thousand, due to the new technology available

considering the crowd levels haven't really gone anywhere for the last decade, its pretty much an unrealistic chance, now with all the digital streaming, & watch any game you want with the control of your finger tips! the NRL has a snowflakes in hell's chance of ever reaching 20k by 2020. IMO over the next 5 years we will see the NRL's and even the AFL's will drop a few thousand, due to the new technology available
Then the afl should use extra revenue from all these new technologies to reduce ticket prices. If the afl ever gets crowds as low as NRL then it will die a quick death

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back