Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFL cash drain to new clubs could delay Etihad Stadium purchase

The Australian
June 25, 2015 12:00AM

The drain of AFL cash to Greater Western Sydney and Gold Coast is not only taking its toll on other financially struggling clubs, but could delay or even prevent the early buyout of Etihad Stadium.

Central to the financial stability of the league and its clubs is the AFL’s Future Fund, which the league values at $89.4 million, but has never held more than its current cash value of $63m.

The cash amount is less than some clubs believed it was. They say that is, in part, because of the massive additional funding to both the Giants and Suns.

As The Australian revealed in a series of exclusive reports earlier this month, up to eight clubs have forecast losses for 2015 with the competition carrying combined club debts of a record $91.5 million.

AFL chief executive Gillon McLachlan told The Australian yesterday that the decision to put second teams into Queensland and NSW was proving to be more demanding than expected. “They are proving more expensive than our broad forecasts suggested,” he said.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...stadium-purchase/story-fnca0u4y-1227413467123

I wonder what the forecasts suggested?

2015Crowdsunder10k.png

2015AFLRatingsCrowds40kR13.png

it looks like the SOO fans have well and truly fleed by now, only 14k bothering to show up to last night's game at ANZ
rugby is in for a world of pain with their new rights deal. They'll sell everything to get their price. Splitting origin off will further erode the game. why would seven promote league if it only has the rights to origin and the NRL is on another channel. Let nine promote league all year and then seven can swoop in for the origin cream.
Giving the other networks call on everything especially the fixture will only further kill their crowds.
They'll shoot themselves in the foot by slavishly trying to prove they're the biggest kid in the playground

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Again, people we have dedicated forums for matters involving drugs in sport that we do not want to cross over into other forums at this time. Further, there is specifically a thread for the Gold Coast scandal stuff on the Scandals and Rumours board. The Industry board is not a tabloid.
Would I be correct in assuming someone posted about the Suns drugs saga?
Or was it about the Bombers doping regime?
Or was it something to do with the racism issues in AFL?
Or maybe it was the match-fixing issues rearing their head again?
Or was it about the draw inequality & extra salary cap/draft/cash concessions some teams receive?

I don't see how censoring the discussion on serious issues helps your credibility Wook. Or is your intention with this thread to just be a safe little echo chamber where we can only talk about crowds (minus talk of the free tickets the AFL hands out or the obviously inflated figures for certain teams, of course)?

This thread is created to discuss administration matters - this primarily concerns crowds, ticketing, members, sponsors, ratings, finances, appointments and such. This thread is also subject to the rules that goven the rest of bigfooty. My credibility with the rugby league fraternity - Hi folks from LU! - is the least of my concerns when it comes to moderating this forum, not least the trolls.

The facts are Bigfooty at this time prefers drug related discussion to remain on the Hot topic board set aside for that purpose, with allowances made for the scandals board which the posts were relevant to.

Regarding your specific examples -
  • someone posted about the Suns drugs saga? - Belongs on the HTB or Scandals board.
  • Or was it about the Bombers doping regime?- Definitely belongs on the HTB
  • Or was it something to do with the racism issues in AFL? - SRP board as per Mainboard guidelines
  • Or maybe it was the match-fixing issues rearing their head again? - if theres legit material relevant to both competitions, go ahead and post it
  • Or was it about the draw inequality & extra salary cap/draft/cash concessions some teams receive? - if theres legit material relevant to both competitions, go ahead and post it
  • minus talk of the free tickets the AFL hands out or the obviously inflated figures for certain teams - This is legit discussion if you have legit material to back it up that is relevant to both sides. Not just a "hey look at the free tickets the AFL is doing" or "i looked at a photo and the crowd doesnt look right".

Last edited:
So what, posting crowds belongs in the crowds thread, members in the members thread and viewers in the tv thread.

So, wookie will only allow stuff if it paints the NRL in a bad light. Anything AFL based has to go into it's own dedicated forum, not in here.

So what, posting crowds belongs in the crowds thread, members in the members thread and viewers in the tv thread.

If there is no comparison to be made to the NRL, then yes, simply posting an AFL crowd, rating or membership number should go in its dedicated forum.

So, wookie will only allow stuff if it paints the NRL in a bad light.

Thats not true at all. However it should also be noted that this isnt a thread to rubbish the AFL for the hell of it. You have your own forums for that. You have good comparative data on a subject pertaining to both codes, then by all means post it. Its that simple. God forbid we should deal in facts and figures on the internet.

Last edited:
Surely this thread could deal with how the Gold Coast AFL and NRL teams have dealt with a drug scandal in the same season. This is a direct apples with apples comparison.

I note there was no problem referring the drug woes of the Titans in the following posts in this thread:

Ive made it clear where posts on anything to do with drugs belongs.

LOL @ WOOKIE.

NRL drugs ok
AFL drugs deleted

Sure. Where have I said that today? I said all posts pertaining to drugs must go elsewhere at this time. When the HTB stops running the Essendon thing or the Gold Coast stuff leaves the Scandals board - Im a moderator on both I should add - then we can talk about doing it in this thread. In the meantime if you dont like the rules we have, you have other forums to take shots at me from.

Sure. Where have I said that today? I said all posts pertaining to drugs must go elsewhere at this time. When the HTB stops running the Essendon thing or the Gold Coast stuff leaves the Scandals board - Im a moderator on both I should add - then we can talk about doing it in this thread. In the meantime if you dont like the rules we have, you have other forums to take shots at me from.

I agree with, and abide by, your decision Wookie, without further argument or criticism. I will in no way refer to that aforementioned topic in this, or any other, inappropriate forum

In the interests of fairness in an AFL vs NRL thread, I expect a further rule that will forbid, and remove, references to NRL drug scandals here?

So, wookie will only allow stuff if it paints the NRL in a bad light. Anything AFL based has to go into it's own dedicated forum, not in here.

The NRL doesn't need Wookie for that. But please find the correct forum for your topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back