Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. The afternoon start is fugly on TV and draws lower ratings than it otherwise would.

Makes entertainment look half as good, and makes the game look like it's poor quality.

Tradition or not, the AFL grand final needs to emulate that of the NRL grand final. Or at least a twilight start!
No

That NRL Grand Final will be the highest rating Grand Final of any code in Australian history.

Hopefully this is the kick up the arse the AFL needs for their Grand Finals.

Change the time! Prime time baby! That was just so good!

aflnrlcrowds1998-2015.png

Mediaweek ‏@MediaweekAUS now4 seconds ago

Sun TV #NRLGF #Nine #GEM Metro prelim 2,315,000 (Syd 909k Mel 409k Bri 752k Ade 104k Per 140k)

Sat TV #AFLGF #Seven #7mate Game 2.63m Post 2.20/2.04/1.59m Pre 1.13m Preview 441k GameDay 271k

could be close, the AFL pulled another 888 in regionals, last year the NRl puled 1.2 million in regionals - Id say the NRl will take this year.

Thought the NRL would have got up with ease in the end. Whilst they should still get up with the help of the prime time boost, probably a bit of a reality check after a really solid night for the code.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Neilsen Twitter TV Ratings

AFL GF - Unique Audience 251.1k, Impressions 8.9m
NRL GF - Unique Audience 224.9k, Impressions 7.9m

Brownlow Medal - Unique Audience 189.4k, Impressions 7.1m
Dally M Medal - Unique Audience 122.5k, Impressions 2.0

http://www.mediaweek.com.au/neilsen-twitter-tv-ratings-afl-v-nrl/

• Impressions - The number of times any Tweets ascribed to a TV episode were seen.
  • Unique Audience - The total number of distinct Twitter accounts accruing at least one impression of one or more different Tweets ascribed to a TV episode.

http://www.nielsensocial.com/nielsentwittertvratings/weekly/

Whelp, two years into the 5-year strategic plan the NRL has thrown up the white flag on its unambitious goal of a 20,000 crowd average.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lubs-and-grow-nrl-crowds-20151008-gk4g47.html

The NRL had set the goal of averaging crowds of 20,000 for premiership matches in a five-year strategic plan released soon after Smith started in the job in 2013, but he told Fairfax Media on Thursday that attendances were proving difficult to increase due to the poor facilities at suburban grounds.

They argue that the magic bullet to solve this issue is to spend $1.8b upgrading existing stadiums (Parramatta, SFS and ANZ), and the reason for the NRL's failure to meet its own targets is now the gubbermint's fault apparently.

Asked if the NRL would meet the strategic plan forecast by 2017, Smith said: "I don't think the government can build the stadiums quick enough."

Whelp, two years into the 5-year strategic plan the NRL has thrown up the white flag on its unambitious goal of a 20,000 crowd average.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...lubs-and-grow-nrl-crowds-20151008-gk4g47.html

They argue that the magic bullet to solve this issue is to spend $1.8b upgrading existing stadiums (Parramatta, SFS and ANZ), and the reason for the NRL's failure to meet its own targets is now the gubbermint's fault apparently.

The bit of the story he is neglecting to mention is that if the NRL when down the same route as the AFL in Melbourne, concentrating all games into two stadiums (and two good enough stadiums already exist in Sydney to enable averages of 40+k), Smith would be burned at the stake.

Thats the guts of it but the Sydney centric media will always favour what they consider their own code and bag the AFL intruder when ever they can.

I would like to see the NRL play their GF on Sat afternoon and see how many they get viewing.
I would suggest maybe a million less esp if it was hot and people headed to the beach

I dont think the AFL will allow this situation to go on for much longer
I expect the GF will go to twilight when the next TV rights kick in and eventually go all the way to a night GF in a few years
This post isn't right.

Sports have an advantage in media markets where they are more dominant.

So naturally RL will have an advantage in NSW and QLD with AFL having the advantage in the other states.

Thus it swings both ways. But if you want to look at other things in respect of the media.

RL isn't universally supported like a religion in NSW and QLD as AFL is. we have rugby union of which some parts like RL some parts loathe it. RL had to attach its GF to a public holiday, the victorian Govt just put one on for the AFL. That sort of thing also pervades through the media.

AFL has also becomes ruperts most recent and loved mistress whilst RL is more like his ex wife atm.

So to suggest that RL is getting a unfair run in the media in comparison to the AFL is just ......

Also sydney doesn't consider Rugby League its own code, we all know where the game came from, its just the most popular from an entertainment perspective.

If there is an "own code" perception maybe it is in the north of england, but maybe there is that perception in another state and its not rugby league at all.

Last edited:
Having both Grand Finals on in the same weekend really puts some perspective into things. These are the respective narratives for the week:

AFL: "Is there anyway I can get a ticket? Please get me a ticket, I'll sell my own mother if I have to."

NRL: "Please, please, please buy our tickets. Look, here's a TV ad campaign begging people to come along. I know, let's bill the event as NRL Grand Final featuring Cold Chisel, that might work."

You can still get tickets in most categories for the NRL GF.

sadly its only indicative of the issues facing the AFL. the NRL's popularity is no where near that of the AFL, that was never in question.
but the AFL's attendance was lower then the last 7 years and yet it was still impossible to get tickets.
both codes in fact had a similar number of unfilled seats around 1500, yet it was impossible to get tickets to the AFL when the NRL's tickets as you said were still available.

Instead of people being pissed off that the answer is likely due to the AFL attaching a bunch of corporate Bullshit to them and demanding $2000 a ticket people wear it like a badge of honour that members of the public miss out due to the AFL's greed.

sadly its only indicative of the issues facing the AFL. the NRL's popularity is no where near that of the AFL, that was never in question.
but the AFL's attendance was lower then the last 7 years and yet it was still impossible to get tickets.
both codes in fact had a similar number of unfilled seats around 1500, yet it was impossible to get tickets to the AFL when the NRL's tickets as you said were still available.

Instead of people being pissed off that the answer is likely due to the AFL attaching a bunch of corporate Bullshit to them and demanding $2000 a ticket people wear it like a badge of honour that members of the public miss out due to the AFL's greed.

Certainly agree that corporate tickets should be slashed in favour of club members. As I said above, MCC being forced to pay to reserve seats would fix the majority of empty seats in a flash. We're only talking about 1500 seats, but with so many people who want to go unable to get a ticket it's unacceptable to have them go empty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back