Administration - The AFL v NRL *Moderator Approved* - Rules in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's hard to collate due to the shortcomimngs of the ratings systems, But what you can say with any certainty is that in Australia at any given time a person would be be much more likely to be watching the AFL than the NRL (including rep') on TV
Didn't their 3 SOO games and their Grand Final out rate our Grand final?

I think it's more about 'overall TV audience' than rubbery ratings, that's why football gets a much bigger TV rights deal. There was a massive analysis of how much bigger AFL's overall audience is compared to NRL's, and why AFL is more valuable to TV companies, going around the web a little while back, but I can't seem to find it now. Due to the length of the game, the higher number of possible ad breaks, the sport's superior national presence etc....

I think it's more about 'overall TV audience' than rubbery ratings, that's why football gets a much bigger TV rights deal. There was a massive analysis of how much bigger AFL's overall audience is compared to NRL's, and why AFL is more valuable to TV companies, going around the web a little while back, but I can't seem to find it now. Due to the length of the game, the higher number of possible ad breaks, the sport's superior national presence etc....
And wider demographic spread

No. More people were watching AFL when they were on according to Hoops. It's just that damn pesky ratings system doesn't show it.
Not sure that's how you should be looking at it.
Let's say a TV network charges one banana to advertisers per 1 million viewers.
Nine NRL gets 4 million viewers on a Sunday night, prime time = 4 bananas.
seven AFL gets 4 million on a Saturday arvo (a no banana timeslot)= 4 bananas.
Sunday night seven reverts to whatever crap is on for 1 million viewers: 1 banana

therefore 7 gets five bananas, 9 gets four bananas.
more bananas over time means bigger gorilla

Last edited:
Didn't their 3 SOO games and their Grand Final out rate our Grand final?
SoO II in all probability did and SoO III in all probability did not. The other two games it's hard to say without the full data which would include adding the omitted diary regions (mainly football regions) and subtracting the spill from the metro figures (mainly RL regions).

But those 4 games would account for less than 10% of all NRL viewers anyway. you have to remember that the AFL have >50% more broadcast time throughout the year. The AFL more than match the NRL despite the NRL bias ratings on a weekly basis, so that's why I can say the above with certainty.

SoO II in all probability did and SoO III in all probability did not. The other two games it's hard to say without the full data which would include adding the omitted diary regions (mainly football regions) and subtracting the spill from the metro figures (mainly RL regions).

But those 4 games would account for less than 10% of all NRL viewers anyway. you have to remember that the AFL have >50% more broadcast time throughout the year. The AFL more than match the NRL despite the NRL bias ratings on a weekly basis, so that's why I can say the above with certainty.

I think those four games are probably very, very close to 10% of the NRL's total ratings.

The NRL actually needs to add its three SOO games and its international fixtures to come close to the AFL's total annual ratings. Mind you it's still a pretty good effort on the part of the NRL, they are streaks ahead of whoever else is coming in third place, but it does underscore the fact that the NRL's ratings (the actual competition) are a bit behind the AFL's on a total annual basis (and that's before we even factor in the length of the respective broadcasts, the value for advertisers, etc)

Not sure that's how you should be looking at it.
Let's say a TV network charges one banana to advertisers per 1 million viewers.
Nine NRL gets 4 million viewers on a Sunday night, prime time = 4 bananas.
seven AFL gets 4 million on a Saturday arvo (a no banana timeslot)= 4 bananas.
Sunday night seven reverts to whatever crap is on for 1 million viewers: 1 banana

therefore 7 gets five bananas, 9 gets four bananas.
more bananas over time means bigger gorilla

Prime time makes no difference they tell me.

Prime time makes no difference they tell me.
Not quite : prime time always delivers bananas. It's one thing having a high rating show in prime time -it's expected. Having a high rating show in a dead zone like Saturday arvo is rare gold. That's why the afl won't shift the grandfinal.

Does optus gaining the rights to the EPL change the future of the NRL 's TV deal in anyway?

whilst the landscape is definitely changing, these two products are not really all that similar.

Optus have purchased the rights to show a league - a league which is already produced and beamed to them.

The NRL (and AFL) are effectively the EPL in the above scenario - and are after a broadcast partner and not a rights purchaser (at this point).

The NRL needs somebody to not only fork over the wads of cash it wants, but must also be prepared to pay for and produce each game etc. I highly doubt Optus, Netflix (not interested in sport) or anyone else bar Foxtel is actually a player in this game.

The only way it would be similar, if in the future the NRL/AFL start producing their own content/filming and packaging of games, and simply sell them to rights bidders like in the Optus scenario.

My guess is that optus want to keep what they find valuable, ie only and mobile streaming of the EPL, and try to sell off the TV games - perhaps a split of FTA and fox/fetch.

Not quite : prime time always delivers bananas. It's one thing having a high rating show in prime time -it's expected. Having a high rating show in a dead zone like Saturday arvo is rare gold. That's why the afl won't shift the grandfinal.

Well in reality channel 7 want the AFL to shift the Grand Final to a night one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well with the latest news on the NRL deal I think it really does make you scratch your head and wonder what Smith was aiming for. My guess is Fox will pay Nine about $50mil maybe a little less for the Saturday game and to simulcast all matches and the will then pay up for the remaining 4 games.
They'll probably get $60mil a year less then the AFL which after the last rights deal is not a great outcome for the NRL.

Well with the latest news on the NRL deal I think it really does make you scratch your head and wonder what Smith was aiming for. My guess is Fox will pay Nine about $50mil maybe a little less for the Saturday game and to simulcast all matches and the will then pay up for the remaining 4 games.
They'll probably get $60mil a year less then the AFL which after the last rights deal is not a great outcome for the NRL.

The whole lot looks like it will fall around the $1.85 billion mark over 5 years, or $370 mill per annum, the interesting question is whether they are negotiating for it all to start next season. Does anyone have the good oil on that?

Last edited:
I wouldn't put much stock in what News Corp print, they are playing games.

They certainly put a hell of a lot of space into something that they made clear was "a proposal".

I agree with you - anyone who is putting stock into this is an idiot. Murdoch is now rewriting history (as it relates to Dave Smith) and publishing proposals to try and prevent a backlash similar to what Fox Sports have faced since the Optus EPL announcement.

Which is why smith was pretty much given his marching orders

The story seems to have a fair bit of traction, not just with news corp.
Yes, reporting on News Corps report... This Friday 6pm 'pubs & clubs' game they apparently want, yet don't even understand how daylight savings works, is nonsense and a pathetic ruse to try and negotiate down the price on the rest of the games. Nine haven't even been consulted about it and there's a snowballs chance in hell that they, or the NRL, would ever agree to it. Everyone knows there will be a Sunday night game, but we have to go through News Corps big show & dance first.

Yes, reporting on News Corps report... This Friday 6pm 'pubs & clubs' game they apparently want, yet don't even understand how daylight savings works, is nonsense and a pathetic ruse to try and negotiate down the price on the rest of the games. Nine haven't even been consulted about it and there's a snowballs chance in hell that they, or the NRL, would ever agree to it. Everyone knows there will be a Sunday night game, but we have to go through News Corps big show & dance first.

So do we believe news corp or not

Why wouldn't the NRL agree to it? The AFL play 6pm games on Friday nights.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back