Tutorial Adobe Illustrator tutorial

Remove this Banner Ad

Why is there a yellow shape being drawn when I only want the points (I haven't drawn a bottom line) and how do I get the points to curve?
View attachment 41101

It's because your shape has a fill colour on it and no stroke.
To get rid of it click on your fill colour box at the bottom of your tool bar (it should be yellow here for you) and then click on the box underneath with the red line (that's the nothing/transparent box).
Then add a colour to your stroke to make the line visible (The hollow box in the same area as the fill box)

To curve the lines of the shape click and hold on the pen tool in the tool bar and several other pen options will come up. Select the one that looks like a open triangle... or press Control V for a short cut.
Then click and drag on one of your anchor points, you can also click and drag on the new points the curve creates.

To curve the lines of the shape click and hold on the pen tool in the tool bar and several other pen options will come up. Select the one that looks like a open triangle... or press Control V for a short cut.
Then click and drag on one of your anchor points, you can also click and drag on the new points the curve creates.
Thankyou so much Spider Eater, that's so much quicker (no offence Bacon)

He said to plot the points and hold them, which I wasn't getting used to.
But SE said about pressing control+V or the 'open-triangle' button.
Clicking and bending the paths as you're going is easier than it is to draw straight paths then going back and bending them.

Clicking and bending the paths as you're going is easier than it is to draw straight paths then going back and bending them.
Really?
Ahk, I'll try both ways again.

Oh, and would you be able to help me with clipping masks? I tried to do one, but there has to be more than one object selected? I'm doing the silver part of the NZ Knights guernsey, and I need the top part cut off.

Really?
Ahk, I'll try both ways again.

Oh, and would you be able to help me with clipping masks? I tried to do one, but there has to be more than one object selected? I'm doing the silver part of the NZ Knights guernsey, and I need the top part cut off.

Have a look at this, it'll help heaps:

With the clipping mask, you have to put the silver part below the base of the shirt (make sure they're in the same layer), so only the parts outside the shirt will be visible. Now copy the base shape to your clipboard, select both the base and the shape you want to clip, right click > create clipping mask (or command + 7). Now only the silver shape will be visible. Make sure that shape is under the 'designs' layer, then paste the base and line it up to where it was before. Also make sure the base is under 'base' in the layers panel. You should now be able to see both the base and the silver shape, without it overlapping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have a look at this, it'll help heaps:

With the clipping mask, you have to put the silver part below the base of the shirt (make sure they're in the same layer), so only the parts outside the shirt will be visible. Now copy the base shape to your clipboard, select both the base and the shape you want to clip, right click > create clipping mask (or command + 7). Now only the silver shape will be visible. Make sure that shape is under the 'designs' layer, then paste the base and line it up to where it was before. Also make sure the base is under 'base' in the layers panel. You should now be able to see both the base and the silver shape, without it overlapping.

Just did it, thank you :thumbsu:

There is another option of course... murder.

Or you could get rid of the section not past of the design like this:
40673_2605e1fc9e8af48ecac3cebb3505f7f7.png

So you've got a silver shape over the Red jersey.
Click on the Red jersey and copy it over the top of the Silver.
I do this with shortcut keys.
So it's Click on Red, Ctrl-V, click on Silver panel, Ctrl-F
That pastes it in front of the Silver panel.
Then you go to the Pathfinder box.
If it's not open on your screen, go to Window>Pathfinder will bring it up
Then you click on both the Silver and the top Red paths (what Illustrator calls shapes)
Click on Crop in the Pathfinder box and the bit outside the Red shape goes away.
It will make it into a Group. Some of the paths (shapes) inside the group will be the sections outside Where the Red was, and they won't have any colour. Delete them.
Now your Silver panel fits nicely on the Red jersey underneath.

So, I've been using the Live Paint Bucket to colour large areas of my guernsey, and I'm trying to recolour what I've made. However, this happened:

livepaintbucketissue_zps6837526d.png

It's like that most of the way around, I just trimmed the image so it wouldn't be so big. Any reason as to why it's so rough?

So, I've been using the Live Paint Bucket to colour large areas of my guernsey, and I'm trying to recolour what I've made. However, this happened:

livepaintbucketissue_zps6837526d.png

It's like that most of the way around, I just trimmed the image so it wouldn't be so big. Any reason as to why it's so rough?
Why use Paint Bucket?
Is it just because it looks like Paint?
If you click on a Path (Cuffs for instance) you can then click on any of your swatches and it makes it that colour.
Can you upload the file to a File Sharing site and I can have a look at it.

Why use Paint Bucket?
Is it just because it looks like Paint?
If you click on a Path (Cuffs for instance) you can then click on any of your swatches and it makes it that colour.
Can you upload the file to a File Sharing site and I can have a look at it.

When I started, I was under the assumption that it was more like Photoshop than it actually is, so I used the Paint tool as that's how I'd do it in Photoshop.

I'll send the link to you in a PM.

Note to young players.
Don't use Paint Bucket.
You're using Illustrator because it's different to Paint, not because it's similar.

Create shapes (paths) select them and colour them using your Swatches.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I'm using a mac and have the Creative Cloud version of Illustrator. I have installed a font using the font book. The font appears in programs such as Open Office. But won't appear in Illustrator or Photoshop. The font is a TTF. Other TTF files I've installed, such as Marbold, seem to work fine.

Any ideas? Has been driving me nuts for about 2 hours tonight.

Hi guys,

I'm using a mac and have the Creative Cloud version of Illustrator. I have installed a font using the font book. The font appears in programs such as Open Office. But won't appear in Illustrator or Photoshop. The font is a TTF. Other TTF files I've installed, such as Marbold, seem to work fine.

Any ideas? Has been driving me nuts for about 2 hours tonight.
Might sound trivial but have you tried quitting out of it and then re-opening it? Every time you re-open the program it re-loads the fonts.

Odd. I can't really help other with that, then, though I did find this installation thingy if you haven't already.

http://www.adobe.com/products/type/install-instructions.html
Mac OS X has native support for Type 1 and OpenType fonts, which can be installed just like other font type on OS X. However, fonts installed in OS X system locations are not available to “Classic” applications (see section below). Fonts installed in the OS X native environment can be accessed by (a) any user or (b) just by an individual user.

To install your fonts using a font management utility (e.g., Extensis Suitcase, Font Reserve, FontAgent Pro or MasterJuggler), refer to that utility’s documentation for instructions on adding and activating the fonts.

1. Before installing your fonts, quit all active applications.
  2. Locate the folder that contains the fonts you want to install.
    If you have purchased Adobe OpenType fonts online, they will have been decompressed to a folder on your hard drive. If you have purchased multiple font packages, each will have its own folder.
  3. Copy or move all the font files from their individual font folders into either of the following locations. (Note that the fonts must be loose in the destination folder, not in a subfolder.)
    (a) <Volume>/Library/Fonts/ Note: you must be logged on as an “Administrator” to place fonts in this location. Fonts in this location can be used by any user.
    (b) <Volume>/Users/<username>/Library/Fonts/
    Note: fonts in this location can be used only by the specified user.
  4. The fonts are now installed and will appear in the font menus of your Carbon and native applications.
Mac OS X has native support for Type 1 and OpenType fonts, which can be installed just like other font type on OS X. However, fonts installed in OS X system locations are not available to “Classic” applications (see section below). Fonts installed in the OS X native environment can be accessed by (a) any user or (b) just by an individual user.

To install your fonts using a font management utility (e.g., Extensis Suitcase, Font Reserve, FontAgent Pro or MasterJuggler), refer to that utility’s documentation for instructions on adding and activating the fonts.

1. Before installing your fonts, quit all active applications.
  2. Locate the folder that contains the fonts you want to install.
    If you have purchased Adobe OpenType fonts online, they will have been decompressed to a folder on your hard drive. If you have purchased multiple font packages, each will have its own folder.
  3. Copy or move all the font files from their individual font folders into either of the following locations. (Note that the fonts must be loose in the destination folder, not in a subfolder.)
    (a) <Volume>/Library/Fonts/ Note: you must be logged on as an “Administrator” to place fonts in this location. Fonts in this location can be used by any user.
    (b) <Volume>/Users/<username>/Library/Fonts/
    Note: fonts in this location can be used only by the specified user.
  4. The fonts are now installed and will appear in the font menus of your Carbon and native applications.
http://www.adobe.com/products/type/install-instructions.html

Remove this Banner Ad

Back