Ads in places you haven't seen them before.

Remove this Banner Ad

We're trying to ad units to maximum three units per page in the boards, which means the ads that are placed need to be effective.

To this end we're moving some ads around to test effectiveness. Nobody will like any of the changes we make, but we'll have to live with the negative reaction while we work out what is best.

Hopefully nobody burns my house down over it.

Seriously the ads are becoming painful. I understand you need to put up ads ect but currently they don't make me want to visit these forums. I don't have no issue with purchasing a gold membership as previously I've had one, but not if it's going to be forced down my throat with ads spamming my browser.

• Admin
Seriously the ads are becoming painful. I understand you need to put up ads ect but currently they don't make me want to visit these forums. I don't have no issue with purchasing a gold membership as previously I've had one, but not if it's going to be forced down my throat with ads spamming my browser.
There is one extra ad on the thread list, and the one that was formerly at the bottom of the page is now in the middle of the list.

Ideally we want to move away from just banner ads and into, say, products of our own that people want to buy.

This year there is a little more money going into development with the server move and upgrade being two big ticket items.

There is one issue at the moment with tall ads being placed inside threads. We'll work that one out soon.

There is one extra ad on the thread list, and the one that was formerly at the bottom of the page is now in the middle of the list.

Ideally we want to move away from just banner ads and into, say, products of our own that people want to buy.

This year there is a little more money going into development with the server move and upgrade being two big ticket items.

There is one issue at the moment with tall ads being placed inside threads. We'll work that one out soon.

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Will Gold or platinum membership remove all the ads?

• Admin
Almost certainly been asked before, but couldn't find. Is there a way to see if I am expired Chief? I haven't bought gold in a while but I think with the player sponsorship I got it, can I see this anywhere?

So given my Platinum was a prize and thus free I'm not really complaining, moreso letting you know.

But I'm getting ads - especially on the mobile version of the site - in the middle of forums and threads whilst logged in as a platinum member.

• Admin
So given my Platinum was a prize and thus free I'm not really complaining, moreso letting you know.

But I'm getting ads - especially on the mobile version of the site - in the middle of forums and threads whilst logged in as a platinum member.
I'll have a look again.

• Admin

Try a shift-refresh.

The code doesn't look incorrect: it should be checking you user group IDs and if none of them is the Platinum ID, it shows the block of code that displays the ad tag.

< xen:if is="!{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 82}" >

That piece of code hasn't changed since the software was installed.

Almost certainly been asked before, but couldn't find. Is there a way to see if I am expired Chief? I haven't bought gold in a while but I think with the player sponsorship I got it, can I see this anywhere?
Doesn't seem to be a one-click way. Revert your custom user tag and it should show "BFSC Gold" under your avatar.

Try a shift-refresh.

The code doesn't look incorrect: it should be checking you user group IDs and if none of them is the Platinum ID, it shows the block of code that displays the ad tag.

< xen:if is="!{xen:helper ismemberof, $visitor, 82}" >

That piece of code hasn't changed since the software was installed.
Actually, I saw in another thread you said there were issues over the weekend due to an incorrect setting - that's probably what the mobile site issue was, will let you know if it replicates again.

The desktop version is a bit werid now - refer attached for a weird "An ad!" section showing in the middle of the forum index

upload_2014-2-17_16-31-46.png

Actually, I saw in another thread you said there were issues over the weekend due to an incorrect setting - that's probably what the mobile site issue was, will let you know if it replicates again.

The desktop version is a bit werid now - refer attached for a weird "An ad!" section showing in the middle of the forum index

View attachment 43817
Very odd. I used that to test out placement but removed it.

Which skin are you using?

Very odd. I used that to test out placement but removed it.

Which skin are you using?
It shows "BigFooty Test" which I'm assuming I probably shouldn't be, but I've not manually changed it at all :confused:

Will try one of the others and see if the line is still there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Doesn't seem to be a one-click way. Revert your custom user tag and it should show "BFSC Gold" under your avatar.
Thanks.

(testing)

Edit: Yup, still gold. Cheers.

I guess I'll post it here as well, using the site on a tablet such as my iPad and have ads in the middle of the page and forums makes it terribly annoying to use the site.

On another note I keep getting redirected to the App Store for "war of thrones" once I load up BigFooty on my iPad. I won't even be pressing anything, it will just redirect me there automatically.

On another note I keep getting redirected to the App Store for "war of thrones" once I load up BigFooty on my iPad. I won't even be pressing anything, it will just redirect me there automatically.
Which page are you on within the site when this happens?

I cannot reproduce this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back