AE AE14 Launch & Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

What a waste of time.
NFL Changes that much year to year that the death chart kills your season as it'll be wrong.

I wonder where everyone had Houston and Atlanta last season.

Would be much safer to just tip on a weekly basis (like me)

If the $20 is so inpalatable, what about it being just $10? Still a sting to those that miss 2 weeks, but not as much?

Is no show insurance serious?

No one wants to pay it. I think as before if someone awols that's their loss blowing 40 on comps they wont win. Why should someone profit 20 on top?

And awols are often accidental mistakes, vacationing overseas or busy at work. The way he's stated it is if you miss picks twice in the season you forfeit the 20.

Sorry Woodson don't mean anything against you in questioning the insurance policy

ATTENTION: I will be posting on the AE14clubhouse.com site along with leaving the links on this thread AND social media AE outlets EXPLAINING the the '$20 refundable* NO show assurance' process which isn't limited for it's intended purpose.

I'm disappointed GG can't work it out. Statsman74 understands it but i'll explain in the NEXT 24-48 hours why it's $20* and not $10. btw.. FIVE confirmed already..

Let's get this NUMBER to 20 by the end of the month.

Same deposit details as last year… PM me your intention so I can look out for it.

How about if the depth chart is set up so it can be altered at any point in the season (excluding once the first game has started -> MNF). If someone is going away in week 13 they can set it up then for the remainder of the year based on the current teams form (they could just make their selections for those weeks in advance but the depth chart is a good fallback to when people forget or site bugs prevent selections going through).

How about if the depth chart is set up so it can be altered at any point in the season (excluding once the first game has started -> MNF). If someone is going away in week 13 they can set it up then for the remainder of the year based on the current teams form (they could just make their selections for those weeks in advance but the depth chart is a good fallback to when people forget or site bugs prevent selections going through).
Imo, no. Too much fart-assing around and again veering away from the KISS philosophy.

I reckon like what Juggalo suggested is simple and clean.

- If you miss all your picks, you get whatever the lowest full score was minus 10 pts.
- If you miss part of your picks....if whatever you did pick scores more than the lowest full score, you get to keep that score.
- If you miss part of your picks....if whatever you did pick scores more than 10 pts less than the lowest full score, you get the lowest score minus 10.

While in 3XKO...you get an X for any picks not selected.

Pretty simple.

Not being over dramatic here but this extra $20 is probably going to push numbers down to about half of what it is.
I personally don't like the idea that I can't be trusted to enter tips every week.

The AE14clubhouse.com site is now updated with the explanation of the $20 levy in a three part answer.

Don't be sooooo pessimistic. It's all about containment. It's only a mere handful of you who are carrying on like a two bob watch.. sheeesh. :rolleyes:o_O

The AE14clubhouse.com site is now updated with the explanation of the $20 levy in a three part answer.

Don't be sooooo pessimistic. It's all about containment. It's only a mere handful of you who are carrying on like a two bob watch.. sheeesh. :rolleyes:o_O
Your explanation on the AE14clubhouse site still doesn't make sense.

You called it the AE GST, but it's more like the AE Carbon Tax.

Your reasons are....to ensure people don't go awol. That may goad people to not go awol. But it will also dissuade people from signing up this year.

Also, importantly, I can foresee instances where someone has been TAXED their $20 for infringements, then someone else hasn't tho doing something similar, etc.

Especially as you haven't outlined the exact stipulations upon which a person will be taxed.

You give a rough guideline of "if you rarely miss picks"....what is rarely? What happens if someone misses a few picks within a week regularly, whilst someone else misses a whole round once or twice. What happens if someone pulls out the "i had a family emergency" card and you grant them a reprieve, only to find others start using the same or similar reasons...which might be truthful, but there's the boy who cried wolf, and suspicions etc.

It's a situation that can get nasty unless strict rules are outlined in advance and there's no loopholes.

Or, just get rid of the AE Carbon Tax (KISS) and you won't have these Solomon-like problems to solve on a weekly basis....in fact, it's making you do MORE work than less work -- chasing up why people missed picks and who will/won't be taxed.

The basis of your reasoning for the tax is -- it's hard work for you so you want to instal a Tax. But what have I been saying for years? KISS yourself. Don't create such complex Next Duel schedules trying to match-up combatants based on their NFL teams schedules, etc. And remove all those bonuses and penalties in comps....and there's already less work.

In fact, if you use Juggalo's suggestion for missed picks, it would mean much less work for you and very fair and outlined to all, that you don't even need to create a tax.

Simply....if people miss picks (whole or in part) just give them the lowest score -10. And if they score more than the lowest score, despite partial missed picks, they keep that score. Whilst in 3XKO they just get a strike (1 strike) if they did not enter a 3xko selection.

All this extra work chasing people up for missed picks and trying to recalculate their scores with their depth charts, and the depth chart itself which is messy, is THE reason for that extra hard work....and all that work would go away following Juggalo's idea.

If you want people to DONATE a dollar figure towards paying for the AE site hosting/etc, that's ok. JeffDunne admins the site out of love, like you admin AE out of love, like I admin Fantasy out of love (empire costs me $60-80 a year)....and everything we do on this board always places extra work on us all year alongside our real world family responsibilities, jobs, college/school, relationships, etc.

It makes more sense to just follow Juggalo's KISS suggestion for missed tips to avoid that extra work, rather than tax people who made you work harder!!

Lastly, it's unfortunate you have deleted TEMPTATION from this year's AE. That was THE best comp.

Please don't take my attitude as aggressive towards you. I just disagree with the tax, and your reasoning for it can be totally removed by just following Juggalo's suggestion of how to handle missed picks -- no 'depth chart' and just a strike (3xko) if a 3xko tip has not been entered, and ten less than lowest scorer or keep score if higher (CR).

Or, even simpler....whatever you score, partial or whole round missed, you cop that score. If you have proof (a PM received prior to the round as they had some site issue not taking their selections), then you and JD can fix it. No ifs/buts otherwise.

We ALL know you only have the best and good intentions and are a good fair hard-working man with AE, the site's posting, etc. You're a HOF'er who is much loved. Nothing against YOU.

I just hope you can reconsider. No bad blood, no aggro, no ego, just all us forum friends thinking it thru for the group as a whole.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's only a handful that are standing up and fighting this.

Just like it's only a handful that fought for change in the comps.

Don't you understand Woodson that this handful that are fighting you for change are the handful that really care? We're not trying to be selfish here, we're trying to make the comp better for everybody. We're not trying to instate a rule that says GG and Juggs get a 10% tipping bonus.

It's only a handful that are standing up and fighting this.

Just like it's only a handful that fought for change in the comps.

Don't you understand Woodson that this handful that are fighting you for change are the handful that really care? We're not trying to be selfish here, we're trying to make the comp better for everybody. We're not trying to instate a rule that says GG and Juggs get a 10% tipping bonus.

But at the same time you are being selfish because you aren't taking into account the whole competition structure, ie woodson, and JD and the other guys that put their hand up to collate results, and invest their time.

I see the merit in what Woodson is asking. Its refunable for *s sake. You get it back in a couple months, and its $20...

But at the same time you are being selfish because you aren't taking into account the whole competition structure, ie woodson, and JD and the other guys that put their hand up to collate results, and invest their time.

I see the merit in what Woodson is asking. Its refunable for ****s sake. You get it back in a couple months, and its $20...
My AE carbon footprint is non-existant. My disapproval of it has nothing to do with myself. Just theres no valid logic for it and it will dissuade people from joining and importantly there's gonna be a lot of arguments in season regarding reprieves and who got penalized or not etc.

Complaints about workload thus make simpler rules.

My AE carbon footprint is non-existant. My disapproval of it has nothing to do with myself. Just theres no valid logic for it and it will dissuade people from joining and importantly there's gonna be a lot of arguments in season regarding reprieves and who got penalized or not etc.

Complaints about workload thus make simpler rules.

It'll definitely dissuade people from entering. I'm counting and saving every penny I have for a trip I've been planning for ages, which will also make it quite difficult to put much time in to tipping, and at times not being able to guarantee I'll be able to access internet. Whilst it's only an extra $20 to some, when it jumps up to $60 to join before I go on this trip, even I'll have to consider if it's worth it this year or just skip a year and join again the year after when i know I'll have cash, time and internet.

So let's read the justification Woodson posted

#1 - Financial Incentive to play

I don't agree with this. I see $40 as a financial incentive to play - you don't want to waste your money on a comp you're not going to compete in. Increasing the amount isn't going to provide more of an incentive, it would just further annoy people.

#2 - Raise Funds

I believe there are alternatives to raising funds. Either impose a small levy for participating in AE or ask for donations. No point relying on people failing to raise funds.

#3 - Ease of mind the comp will run well

This I can follow - the fact is this is a time consuming competition. If this is what is required to give Woodson motivation to run the competition then so be it. I am sure I wasn't the only person insulted when asked for $60 but the fact is it's a time consuming competition. Woodson needs some good faith from the participants that they will follow through.

I am sure Woodson is aware numbers may drop, people will be hesitant to contribute and it will hurt some long time contributors but at the end of the day the aim of the competition is a competitive tight knit tipping community.

Last edited:
It'll definitely dissuade people from entering. I'm counting and saving every penny I have for a trip I've been planning for ages, which will also make it quite difficult to put much time in to tipping, and at times not being able to guarantee I'll be able to access internet. Whilst it's only an extra $20 to some, when it jumps up to $60 to join before I go on this trip, even I'll have to consider if it's worth it this year or just skip a year and join again the year after when i know I'll have cash, time and internet.
Thats a good point. Times are tough financially and a lot of people here are students. As someone said earlier, every year the price to join is going up, more prizemoney cool. But something like 30 to 40 dollars is a good figure that everyone (students or not) can afford.

If people miss, just give them one less than the lowest score.

For 3xo just give them the team that most people picked (that they still have available)

Just causing too many headaches
(Even though it's only 20 bucks and you get the money back)

If people miss, just give them one less than the lowest score.

For 3xo just give them the team that most people picked (that they still have available)

Just causing too many headaches
(Even though it's only 20 bucks and you get the money back)
Actually this is even better for CR missed tips than the -10....where people could score 6 less but given ten less.

But 3xko should be a strike

I'm a little cash strapped at the moment, but will pay the AE GST if it needs to be paid...

Honestly, I'd do away with the depth chart all together, and for no shows or missed tips the selections default to AWAY teams. Keep it simple.

In the case of 3XKO the strikes remain active until the "last 1, 2 or 3 games of the round" meaning that if someone forgets to enter early games they still have the option of entering late games. If a complete no show they get the last games SNF, MNF AWAY teams.

In CR / ND points are allocated to the AWAY teams in reverse order... TNF is 16pts on the away team, right through to MNF having 1pt on the AWAY team.

You'll win some and you'll lose some...

No need to have it complicated IMO.

I don't like the idea of having the season completely stuffed by missing a couple of games... having AWAY teams allocated by default for missed selections is a gamble and may pay off for some. Thing I hate is those who accidentally miss a couple of games or a week and are penalised heavily and fall down the ladder rapidly... this results in complete no shows for the rest of the season which affects head to head match ups with walkovers etc. I understand why the depth chart was initiated, but unless it's "automated" on the site, it's a complete mindf**k to work out on a weekly basis.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back