List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You brought Gibbs into it.

Huh?

I suggested that Carlton having one less player on their list (saving an extra $80-150k) may have helped them re-sign Bryce Gibbs.

Does keeping Brodie in 2015 affect our trading ability in 2016? I don't see how. You'd said it's 150K saved. Does that make the difference between bringing in a target? Possibly.

If it possibly makes the difference between landing a target we want to improve our list then its absolutely worth it. Martin isn't in our best 22 for 2015. Our best 22 for 2015 isn't good enough to challenge for top 4 (IMO). So why wouldn't you get rid of him on the chance you can improve your best 22 for 2016?

What is more helpful is finishing up the ladder, making AFC a destination club.
If Brodie helps in that (over the 2nd pick in the draft) for a game or 6, then it could be 150K well spent.

I just whole heartedly disagree that having Brodie Martin will help us climb the ladder or become a destination club.

Would you have thought Cam O'Shea would help make Port a destination club 2 years ago?

Cam O'Shea made Port a destination club at the end of 2012? After he played 4 games that year and Port finished 14th? Highly doubt that.

He may have helped them recruit players at the end of 2013 - but he had a much much better season in 2013 than Martin did in 2014. He finished 8th in his clubs B&F in a side that made the 2nd round of the finals. Martin came 17th in a B&F where his side finished 10th.

Martin is a useful player for us while our depth is shallow, but unless he steps it up again next year, I would expect him to be one of the first to go.

He was probably saved this year by the fact that there was just so many other players who were in the queue ahead of him for delisting.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

While it's all very well to speculate on Blease, Robinson, Lucas, Mitch Brown....we don't tend to make a habit of recycling players through the PSD. In fact, have we ever picked up a delisted player in the PSD? I seem to recall Ladhams may have played for Essendon, but maybe that was after us. If we do save a pick for the PSD, you'd think we'd look at a SANFL mature-ager.

While it's all very well to speculate on Blease, Robinson, Lucas, Mitch Brown....we don't tend to make a habit of recycling players through the PSD. In fact, have we ever picked up a delisted player in the PSD? I seem to recall Ladhams may have played for Essendon, but maybe that was after us. If we do save a pick for the PSD, you'd think we'd look at a SANFL mature-ager.
Ladhams was. Though essesndon wanted him to stay, and he walked out. Also Shane Ellen. A lot of our preseason picks were youngsters, a la Goodwin, vardy, Edwards, porps

Hu
Cam O'Shea made Port a destination club at the end of 2012? After he played 4 games that year and Port finished 14th? Highly doubt that.

He may have helped them recruit players at the end of 2013 - but he had a much much better season in 2013 than Martin did in 2014. He finished 8th in his clubs B&F in a side that made the 2nd round of the finals. Martin came 17th in a B&F where his side finished 10th.

I'll clarify this, since you aren't able to see it:

At 2012, in their situation, you would be suggesting Port needed to get rid of O'Shea because he's not best 22, and won't ever play in their premiership. Port at the end of 2012 is similar to the Crows at the end of 2014.

Now 2 years later, Port in 2014 are a destination club and came top 4. O'Shea is still there.

O'Shea isn't critical to their success. He might not even play in their May premiership next year. But he's there.

Would anyone be keen on Mitch Brown who Geelong delisted today? He'll still only be 24 by the start of the next season so still has his best footy ahead of him. He's 196cm and 93kgs and has played plenty of footy as a defender and from what I've seen looks a lot better then L.Thompson and Shaw so really if we're going to take a gamble on one guy who didn't work out at another club I say give this kid a go.

Can play both ends of the ground and would give us that little more depth. Rookie draft him, Baulderstone and another kid.
Mitch is a great kid, and I know this might sound silly, but he's still learning to play as a KPP. He shot up 10cm in year 12 which propelled him into draft consideration, before that he wouldn't have got a look in. My point being, he didn't grow up playing tall and learning how to outbody people. It doesn't come naturally to him. I think that's been shown against the big boys where despite his size, he really struggles to have a physical presence.

I'll clarify this, since you aren't able to see it:

At 2012, in their situation, you would be suggesting Port needed to get rid of O'Shea because he's not best 22, and won't ever play in their premiership. Port at the end of 2012 is similar to the Crows at the end of 2014.

Now 2 years later, Port in 2014 are a destination club and came top 4. O'Shea is still there.

O'Shea isn't critical to their success. He might not even play in their May premiership next year. But he's there.

O'Shea was also 20 years old at the end of 2012 and had played 22 games over his first 2 seasons at the club. In his first year in 2011 he played 18 games and then he had a horrible run with injuries in 2012 playing only 4. He should have been kept and was - finishing 8th in the best and fairest after playing all 22 games and 2 finals in 2013. He is worlds apart from the below:

Brodie Martin has just currently finished his 7th season on our list for a total of 35 career games. His best game remains a game from 2010 (almost 5 seasons ago). Everyone said give him a chance and a run of games to see what he can do. His 17th game of 2014 was just as good as his first game of 2014 - average. He has no real weapons other than he has a mature AFL footballers body and is courageous. He doesn't have any real strengths, nor does he have any major weaknesses. He is the actual definition of vanilla.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mitch is a great kid, and I know this might sound silly, but he's still learning to play as a KPP. He shot up 10cm in year 12 which propelled him into draft consideration, before that he wouldn't have got a look in. My point being, he didn't grow up playing tall and learning how to outbody people. It doesn't come naturally to him. I think that's been shown against the big boys where despite his size, he really struggles to have a physical presence.
Interesting having a browse on his last couple of years. They clearly have not settled him in defence, played a lot in the forwards.

If reports are correct he looks to play his best footy in defence but they seem to find reasons to push him forward consistently which does not seem to work for him.

Looks like he needs to get to a club that will settle him into a permanent defensive role.

Someone will pick him up

Interesting having a browse on his last couple of years. They clearly have not settled him in defence, played a lot in the forwards.

If reports are correct he looks to play his best footy in defence but they seem to find reasons to push him forward consistently which does not seem to work for him.

Looks like he needs to get to a club that will settle him into a permanent defensive role.

Someone will pick him up

Similar to Petrenko ,whom will also make a great defender ala Graham Johncock. A team has to settle Petrenko down in defense and he will prove alot of the doubters wrong. he plays in exactly the same way Johncock (bullocky and breaks through packs) plays with the extra speed and height.

What happened to our list manager position? Justin Reid looked a likely candidate a few weeks ago but it's all gone quiet since we got Phil. Anyone know what's going on there?
No word but I'd love Pelchen, regardless of whatever he did at StKilda that people hate. Involved in building three teams to premierships.

What happened to our list manager position? Justin Reid looked a likely candidate a few weeks ago but it's all gone quiet since we got Phil. Anyone know what's going on there?
Was reported we had our man (likely JR) but wouldn't be able to start/announce until November and then more recently 5AA said they are now hearing not until the end of the year.

The silence to me seems to suggest the deal is done and it is a matter of waiting for an existing contract to end, or waiting for a time where it is appropriate for that person to be released from their current role (i.e. JR to wait until after delisted free agency and draft periods etc to make a more clean cut with that role rather than leaving things hanging)

I would be more than happy to see the club grab a couple of depth players from the delisted free agent pile. I would be happy to see Mitch Brown get on our list. He offers good depth, can play back or forward and would really strengthen our SANFL team. I'd happily throw him to CHB in the SANFL team straight away.
I'm also happy to take a punt on Robinson. I know he is a tool, but he has one chance left and that is it. Stuff up and he is gone. If not and he gets it together, he would strengthen our squad overall.

It was obvious last year that we suffered in the SANFL because a lot of our players were too young to compete at that level. Factor in the lack of direction from Sando, the selfish play of the guys wanting to make a case for a game in the AFL and you have a team that doesn't perform well.
Walsh's team first mantra will be expected in the SANFL as well.

I know we don't exist to win SANFL games, but if we want to develop our young guys as best as possible, we need to build some strength around them. We will also have injuries in 2015 (every team does) and if you want to still be able to win games when that occurs, you need depth.

I would be more than happy to see the club grab a couple of depth players from the delisted free agent pile. I would be happy to see Mitch Brown get on our list. He offers good depth, can play back or forward and would really strengthen our SANFL team. I'd happily throw him to CHB in the SANFL team straight away.
I'm also happy to take a punt on Robinson. I know he is a tool, but he has one chance left and that is it. Stuff up and he is gone. If not and he gets it together, he would strengthen our squad overall.

It was obvious last year that we suffered in the SANFL because a lot of our players were too young to compete at that level. Factor in the lack of direction from Sando, the selfish play of the guys wanting to make a case for a game in the AFL and you have a team that doesn't perform well.
Walsh's team first mantra will be expected in the SANFL as well.

I know we don't exist to win SANFL games, but if we want to develop our young guys as best as possible, we need to build some strength around them. We will also have injuries in 2015 (every team does) and if you want to still be able to win games when that occurs, you need depth.
I'd be more interested if he could slot straight into our AFL team.

We aren't in it to win SANFL games or have a strong SANFL team.

IMO, if we think he could be our AFL CHB we pick him, if we don't then we don't pick him at all.

FWIW, I reckon he' probably the best delisted option out there for us.

Oh, and forget Robinson. Just not good enough.

Someone will pick him up

He was definitely drafted as a forward, kicked a few big bags for Mentone Grammar and for Sandy.

I think it's a bit like Lewis Johnston in regard to the Forward/Defence dilemma. Can definitely play some good footy back there, but as he was drafted as a forward it's hard to let go of that concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back