List Mgmt. AFC - 2014 Drafting and Trading

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually said the urgency to get Hartigan developed is reduced. Hartigan will likely play in the side...... Malceski would inject skill and composure which takes the pressure off the unit. Fills a short term need.

I didn't say "oh lets play 'ski on the gorilla defenders"

We have holes in our defense. We will have a severe lack of experience and class. Malceski helps fill it.

Age is a concern, but not the end of the world.

Your accusations are funny. Seeing him play is why I'm open to what he offers.

Ablett is already 30 would you say no if we offered him a 3 year deal?

That's an apples to apples comparison

One player is a multi Premiership player, Brownlow medalist, AA, MVP and club best and fairest and the other has suffered multiple serious knee injuries and his knee is held together by a surgery that has a proven maximum shelf life of 4 years

I actually said the urgency to get Hartigan developed is reduced.

Why would it have any impact on the urgency to develop a player who plays a COMPLETELY different position?????

Hartigan (we hope) will cover Rutten. He might not be ready, he might never develop.

A running HBF/wingman gives us exactly 0 extra time to wait on the development of a key defender.

That you can't see this is half the fun. No matter how stupid the position, you'll keep digging.

I actually said the urgency to get Hartigan developed is reduced.

Why would it have any impact on the urgency to develop a player who plays a COMPLETELY different position?????

Hartigan (we hope) will cover Rutten. He might not be ready, he might never develop.

A running HBF/wingman gives us exactly 0 extra time to wait on the development of a key defender.

That you can't see this is half the fun. No matter how stupid the position, you'll keep digging.

Just SHOULD NOT be happening.

It feels like a Gary Ayres - Ronnie Burns type move doesn't it.

I might be a bit of a jaded individual, but this move would not surprise me. It's the AFC we're talking about after all.

I feel your pain. We're not talking about a move the club is trying to make

Its a bogus rumour

Even if Roo wasn't here and trigg was, it would still be BS.

Let me think about it.....

A 3 year contract fir a player who has a knee held together by LARS which has a success life span of about no more than 4 years

Not to mention we have Smith and Henderson that can play that running HB role and. Laird and Brown who will add more run to their game with more experience

It's a Big No from me

I can understand the difference of opinion. But having a premiership player who has only just turned 30 on the list mentoring our youngsters is far from the worst thing in the world. Our best 22 lacks class right now, which means that some players in the current best 22 simply aren't up to scratch and we have to think outside the box to bring in the next generation and teach them what it means to be a success. On field leadership is crucial. He will only be 32 at the start of his final year of the contract. That's not that old.

He isn't taking a spot from a player who will, he is keeping it warm for a player that will but isn't ready yet. Big difference.
Re read what you have written. He's taken the spot of a player that isn't ready. What's the best way of getting ready? Playing or not?

I can understand the difference of opinion. But having a premiership player who has only just turned 30 on the list mentoring our youngsters is far from the worst thing in the world. Our best 22 lacks class right now, which means that some players in the current best 22 simply aren't up to scratch and we have to think outside the box to bring in the next generation and teach them what it means to be a success. On field leadership is crucial. He will only be 32 at the start of his final year of the contract. That's not that old.

No it is a worse idea

His age combined with his history of knee issues along with the Lars uncertainty makes the idea a stinker

Don't forget the cap position & that he doesn't play a position of need

Its all win! :thumbsu:

I get gobsmacked on this board at times

Some folk come on this board and rightfully criticise the club for some poor decisions however then you read some of the ideas that are put forward

I'm speechless, I am a man without speech

Re read what you have written. He's taken the spot of a player that isn't ready. What's the best way of getting ready? Playing or not?

Putting just any young player in what ever Malceski's spot would be doesn't achieve much unless they are performing and first and foremost warrant selection. The reserves side is where you audition for an AFL spot and we really don't have the young players demanding selection that would hold us in good measure in hardened finals games. Our depth is pretty average with a lot of dead wood and going on what we saw against the Hawks it indicates a rethink of just how good our best is when a side with injuries to their best 22 players beats us. This means over the coming years their will be plenty of chopping and changing as we reinforce our list and trade off players and draft talent that will take time to develop. I see nothing wrong with getting a player like Malceski to mentor these players.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I get gobsmacked on this board at times

Some folk come on this board and rightfully criticise the club for some poor decisions however then you read some of the ideas that are put forward

I'm speechless, I am a man without speech
I think, to be fair , no one suggested it as an idea per se.

A poster dropped it as a rumour

Don't forget the cap position & that he doesn't play a position of need

Its all win! :thumbsu:

Agree

And Smith has a higher efficiency than Malceski

Smith is tracking at 76 % efficiency compared to Malceski 72% so we have our running HB, let's not forget that Hendo had a efficiency rate of 73% in 2013 which was the same as Malceski who was also at 73%

Agree that between Smith and Hendo we have Malceski role covered

Putting just any young player in what ever Malceski's spot would be doesn't achieve much unless they are performing and first and foremost warrant selection. The reserves side is where you audition for an AFL spot and we really don't have the young players demanding selection that would hold us in good measure in hardened finals games. Our depth is pretty average with a lot of dead wood and going on what we saw against the Hawks it indicates a rethink of just how good our best is when a side with injuries to their best 22 players beats us. This means over the coming years their will be plenty of chopping and changing as we reinforce our list and trade off players and draft talent that will take time to develop. I see nothing wrong with getting a player like Malceski to mentor these players.
What about the guys who are currently playing his spot?

Players' development is not in isolation to the rest of the team. We face a defensive unit bereft of experience vs one with some semblence experience; which environment will assist player development?

A rumour that people expand and support by saying let's offer him a 3 year deal

No-one was expanding. The rumour was we were offering 3 years.

I think realistically most people were thinking 2 would be more appropriate. And he has proved durable. He's pretty cheap. Won't cost a trade. Our back 6 will likely get torn apart next year. We will be heavily relying on Talia and Brown. Some experience would not go astray.

Brown 40 games
Talia 70 games
Henderson 58 games
Jaensch 61 games
Otten 76 games
Laird 31 games
Hartigan 10 games
Luke Thompson 15 games

He's not going to be a complete solution and everything will be good. But as a piece of a puzzle......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back