Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 27, 2003
Kensington Gardens
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
B'ham CityFC Adelaide United FC
All discussion for the AFC Asian Cup Final match between Australia & Japan may be posted in this thread. It will be stickied until next Wednesday.

BROADCAST DETAILS:

Sunday 30 January 2011/Saturday 29 January 2011

LIVE - FOX SPORTS 1 - 1:30am EDT, 1am CDT, 12:30am EST, 10:30pm WST

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I'm a bit confused about the kick off time. Thought it was 2am EST and not 1.30am? Most seem to say 2am. This is all a worry as I have to have a foolproof plan of getting from the TopFuellers to the pub for the kick off.

Same line up and if Holman isn't up to scratch fitness wise then bring Emmo in for him. No way in hell McKay should be dropped.

Bring it on.

May 5, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I'm a bit confused about the kick off time. Thought it was 2am EST and not 1.30am? Most seem to say 2am. This is all a worry as I have to have a foolproof plan of getting from the TopFuellers to the pub for the kick off.

Same line up and if Holman isn't up to scratch fitness wise then bring Emmo in for him. No way in hell McKay should be dropped.

Bring it on.
Telecast starts at 1.30am

I can't beleive that according the bookies Australia were favourites! :eek:

had to instantly put $20 on Japan at $2.85
easy money :thumbsu:

(Australia will only win if we play great, Japan play s**t, and Schwarzer dominates a penalty shootout)

stuart27

Club Legend
Jun 26, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
MVFC, West Ham, Rebels
Australia 3-1 :D

No idea what's going to happen here. We can only hope they've been run off their legs by the Koreans and we can stick with our style of play.

Whatever happens I think we've exorcised the demons of 2007, but what a sight it'd be to see the Socceroos defend the Asian Cup on home soil in 2015.

Bring it home boys.

Hagar

Rookie
Jan 22, 2011
Kardinya
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Baltimore Ravens, Luton Town
A win on Saturday will vindicate our move into the AFC and more importantly albeit only temporarily shut the detractors of our move up..

That said Japan has played some wonderful football and they're without Kagawa I really think we've got a very good chance. If Schwarzer continues his performances the Japanese will struggle to find a way through and we know we've got the power up front to score when we need to.

A tentative prediction of 1-0 Australia

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selective Retention

Cancelled
10k Posts
Jan 9, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong

It makes a big difference actually having a left footed player playing on the left.

Emerton has always played well for the national team but if Holman is fit it has to be no change.

Sensational effort to get to the final - proved that we are in the best 2-3 in Asia.
Can't believe how different the team is playing compared to only 7 months ago....

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
A lot of people don't know the importance of Kagawa. He's been in superb form, playing brilliantly for Borrusia Dortmund and is one of the reasons they are top of the Bundesliga. He is a big big loss, the equivalent of us losing a Kewell, Cahill or Holman.

Japan are a very good team, but their weakness is our strength (aerial ability). Set pieces will be key for Australia.

This should be a cracker, and could go either way, but another advantage we have is the Mark Schwarzer factor, and if this goes to a penalty shootout, expect it to be telling.

My early prediction: 1-1 after 90, Australia 2-1 in extra time.

that_dood

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 27, 2007
Fremantle
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Arsenal
This should be a cracker, and could go either way, but another advantage we have is the Mark Schwarzer factor, and if this goes to a penalty shootout, expect it to be telling.

I'm not so sure. We need to win this in normal time IMO as Japan are the penalty shootout kings! They never lose on shootouts...:(

EDIT: Other than the World Cup, Japan don't lose shootouts!:p:eek:

Synth

I'm kind of a big deal
May 25, 2009
Bayside, Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melb City, Man City, NY Giants
After missing out on the world cup, Australian football really needs this win.

1-0 Aus

Apr 23, 2009
Barcelona, Catalonia.
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Penguins, Aston Villa, Adel Utd.
A lot of people don't know the importance of Kagawa. He's been in superb form, playing brilliantly for Borrusia Dortmund and is one of the reasons they are top of the Bundesliga. He is a big big loss, the equivalent of us losing a Kewell, Cahill or Holman.
Seriously, throughout a lot of the semifinal, especially the first half he was just being the biggest ball hog out there. There was one time he got near the penalty area and had three options, ignored them all and tried to create his own shot, couldn't get through and one of his mates had offered him another option which he ignored again and then fired a weak shot which was blocked.

He is a good player but he just tries to do way too much and ignores his team mates too often.

OzBomber

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 26, 2006
Walton Breck Rd
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Liverpool, Ricciardo
Anyone else got to get up at 6:30am for work on Sunday morning?

****, gonna be so wrecked with next to no sleep. But hopefully it's worth it. Timmy Cahill surely has to score yeah? Does it every other bloody time against the Japs and in big matches (ie. World Cup and Merseyside derbies).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back