AFL 2014 Ladder Predictions

I'll wait to see if Essendon can repeat their thrilling wins over in the West again this season.
They were two of the best games of the year.

Saying that, I haven't checked the fixture to see if they are even going over there...

Round 4 against Freo is our only trip west this season.

Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
Get your hand off it. You've played GWS and Melbourne

Which is already a pretty good indication that we won't be winning the spoon like most people here predicted.

They won't be our only wins for the year either, I'd give us a pretty good chance of beating Adelaide at Etihad in a couple of weeks.

Which is already a pretty good indication that we won't be winning the spoon like most people here predicted.

They won't be our only wins for the year either, I'd give us a pretty good chance of beating Adelaide at Etihad in a couple of weeks.
Making the crows 0-5 ;)

Oct 5, 2013
AFL Club
Geelong
They just beat sydney in sydney. They could easily upset Geelong and Richmond

nah' won't beat us next weekend mate. You thought Geelong would lose to your boys but they basically coaxed through that one and when it was time put the foot down, they did and it was game over. Sydney are in appalling form at the moment and it took a long time for Collingwood to finally find a way through in that one.

Johanpetro

Club Legend
Jan 3, 2008
Apollo Bay
AFL Club
Geelong
nah' won't beat us next weekend mate. You thought Geelong would lose to your boys but they basically coaxed through that one and when it was time put the foot down, they did and it was game over. Sydney are in appalling form at the moment and it took a long time for Collingwood to finally find a way through in that one.

I wish I was as confident as you in beating the Pies this week! Definitely not a certainty and will be a tough matchup like always with them.

Oct 31, 2013
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions

I said that did I ?

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Oh Robbie, never ever use Essendon's March/April form to determine their July/August results. It just doesn't work that way.
With all due respect, take away the drugs saga, and the Bombers were good enough to win 18 games. Previous seasons, were due to injuries, fair call on those season, but last season, without that saga, they would have finished 3rd or 4th.

Their list has more upside than, richmond, calrton, collingwood, and North. If they can stay out of ******* trouble, top 4 is a certainty.

Sep 19, 2007
adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Please do.
Yes ple

Plugger, you need 4, at least 5 wins to avoid the spoon. So far you have 2. Its a good start. I don't think you will get the spoon, but its still possible.

I think Bulldogs might struggle tbh to get 5 wins.

ATM I'm backing either Bulldogs or Melbourne, Wishfully the Crows, and Brisbane. but its too early to call

Latour

Team Captain
Jul 14, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lol as a supporter of StK, we were a tad lucky in those two games. But in the Melbourne game, our team played better despite scoring shot difference. I wouldn't be surprised if we get the spoon, Melbourne might improve later in the year, GWS are improving, etc. It's too early in the year to conclude anything.

Riccardo11

Cancelled
Jul 24, 2013
Allons-y!
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Port Melbourne
Get your hand off it. You've played GWS and Melbourne

Who everyone was jumping up and down over after they beat the Swans, one of the pre-season Flag favorites. Don't forget Melbourne was supposed to vastly improve this year, too.

Does every team vary in quality and form to suit the argument that we suck, or is it only those two?

Dan12

Club Legend
Dec 19, 2011
Albury
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Who everyone was jumping up and down over after they beat the Swans, one of the pre-season Flag favorites. Don't forget Melbourne was supposed to vastly improve this year, too.

Does every team vary in quality and form to suit the argument that we suck, or is it only those two?
They can't accept that you've clearly performed better than the Demons, GWS and probably the Bulldogs and other teams too, for some strange reason.
I hadn't really noticed Tom Hickey at all until Saturday, except when St. Kilda gave up a first rounder for some GC no name, but I was shocked by how good that guy was. Sensational game and he looks seriously talented. Very clean hands for a ruck, a few great taps, 3 goals, good marks, tackles- awesome. The Hickey and McEvoy trades both look great for the Saints. Hickey, Dunstan, Steven and Curren could be a terrific centre square combination for the next decade. You've got something to build off and I think we've all underestimated St. Kilda.

The_Big_Ship

Premiership Player
Nov 8, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
My attempt.. :confused:

Screen Shot 2014-04-02 at 10.30.14 PM.png

Sep 21, 2009
Melbs
AFL Club
Essendon
It's 2am and I was a bit bored so I sat through the slogging task for the ladder predictor (slogging this early on in the season anyway) and figured I'd share my results.

Here's my top 8 from the preditions threads on March 12...

Top four: Hawthorn, Geelong, North Melbourne, Fremantle
Next four: Sydney, Essendon, Adelaide, Gold Coast
Premier: Geelong
Runner-up: Fremantle

And here's what I came up with in the ladder predictor...

j0v700.png

And here's the finals series...

2dmgr9h.png

So I haven't changed my opinions much. The only real change is swapping North and Port because I didn't believe Port were the real deal until last week, and I didn't accept that North weren't that good until the Bulldogs game. Needless to say Port's last quarter fitness scares me.

The bottom five will exchange wins against each other through the year, and ignoring the likely upset here or there, that's where all their wins will come from. I expect a few floggings later on for them, but I did see them being competitive through the year for the most part. As Port, West Coast and Gold Coast have shown in recent years, you can springboard nicely after bottoming out. Basically a practice run for these five for next year.

I thought I'd have Collingwood winning a couple more, in all honesty, and I could have botched the positions of 9-13, but I expect them in that group. And no, not taking the piss with Richmond, I actually thought they'd be where Collingwood are.

I can't lie, I took some liberties with the prelim-GF games, because Geelong getting revenge on Freo and then knocking off old mate Hawthorn SHOULD have been last year's finals series and I was ROBBED of it. But we'll see how it goes.

Other tidbits I came across while doing the home and away rounds:

- Geelong and Hawthorn undefeated when they meet in Round 5
- Geelong and Port undefeated when the meet in Round 6
- Port won't lose until they play Freo in Round 8
- Geelong and Freo to meet with 1 loss each in Round 9
- Had Geelong winning three games in a row by 100+ points in Rounds 16-18 (because I'm a sadist)
- Had three separate 100 point games in Round 18
- Hawthorn not losing again after Round 5 to lose two in a row to Freo/Geel
- Sydney beating Richmond and GC knocking off WCE to see GC make the 8 ahead of a Rich/WCE in Round 23

I stand by all this and I'll do the predictor again after Round 12 to see how I'm travelling.

Attachments

• ladder2014r2.png
    ladder2014r2.png
    17.5 KB · Views: 17
  • finals2014r2.png
    finals2014r2.png
    33.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back