Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 11, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Man Utd
Worth a discussion.

I would love to see top 4 sides from last year 3 or 4 Friday night game, top 8 teams 2+ games.

I am not sure why Carlton had to be the team the Eagles played against on Friday night and not a decent team especially since they already had 5 Friday night games unless the MCG tennant clubs get the Friday nights games?

The other point is if the teams like Hawks and Collingwood want the other clubs to stand on their own feet, then they have to be prepared to give up Friday night games and this is something the AFLPA should push the issue on.

http://www.news.com.au/national/afl...t-footy-to-clubs/story-e6frfkp9-1227443224964

“We have to get 110 Victorian games away, which means there’s always going to be Friday nights, which is probably why Carlton and Richmond got a few more this year than they otherwise might have,” Lethlean said.

Friday night was three times more valuable than Saturday night and while Saturday afternoon is popular with fans, its media value on average was $1m less than Friday’s marquee slot.

FRIDAY NIGHT WINNERS AND LOSERS IN 2015
7 Richmond

6 Collingwood, Carlton

4 Hawthorn, Geelong

3 Sydney

2 Essendon, North Melbourne, Port Adelaide, West Coast

1 Adelaide, Fremantle, Melbourne, St Kilda

0 Western Bulldogs, Brisbane Lions, Gold Coast, GWS

Big 4 clubs say, stand on your own 2 feet smaller Vic clubs!

Can we have a Friday night game, say smaller Vic clubs? Even when we're top 8 clubs?

No, we need to generate more TV money so we can give it to the smaller Vic clubs who can't stand on their own 2 feet.

edit - Not potting the big 4 club fans, potting the administrations.

Remember guys the AFL is a not for profit organization. Do the fixtures here really look like they are showing equality to clubs and being fair custodians of the game.

The way the AFL respects money, not fans or clubs is an indictment for an organization that is so flushed with cash it will soon be in possession of a $1 billion asset with no loan.

Should be a winner stays on method. The grand finalists play on the first friday. The winner from that game then plays 3rd. The winner from that then plays 4th...so on so on.

No I'm not serious....or am I?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This. Would rather have seen Bulldogs play than a bunch of Carlton games in a row.
Most people would prefer Bulldogs who knew that last October when the fixture was decided.
The only way for a real comp is a 3 year rolling fixture with a 3 year rolling exposure to the prime time spots.

The problem is easy to solve, but unfortunately for football people it doesn't bring the bucks.

Get Frkd a fare comp........we want the money.

This just in: Equality in the AFL is a fluid concept that can be applied on a whim. Scratch the surface of the AFL a little and the old VFL lies just underneath. It will never change while the media and the powers that be still talk about clubs from outside Victoria as "interstate" clubs. Friday night games are just a symptom of that. The real question is what the hell the Bulldogs ever did to be treated as badly as an "interstate" club.

Did anyone else think Lethlean's explanation was a steaming pile of s**t?

Yes. It makes absolutely no sense.

It's worth another quote just to show what rubbish it actually is.

“We have to get 110 Victorian games away, which means there’s always going to be Friday nights, which is probably why Carlton and Richmond got a few more this year than they otherwise might have,” Lethlean said.

c8836cc80dd757395134567489a65f19a7a8ca539fa1f9d281477f132ce18654.jpg

This just in: Equality in the AFL is a fluid concept that can be applied on a whim. Scratch the surface of the AFL a little and the old VFL lies just underneath. It will never change while the media and the powers that be still talk about clubs from outside Victoria as "interstate" clubs. Friday night games are just a symptom of that. The real question is what the hell the Bulldogs ever did to be treated as badly as an "interstate" club.
Well a cynical person might note, the same person who apparently "ruined" the AFL hierarchy's plans to amalgamate Footscay and Fitzroy is back in charge of the dogs.
Of course I'm sure the AFL wouldn't be so childish as to hold a grudge;)!

Did anyone else think Lethlean's explanation was a steaming pile of s**t?

The reality is that Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn, Carlton and Richmond shoulder this league (they have the national footprint that generates the TV money)

This view is supported by Mr Lethlean's observations :)

If you dont like that reality perhaps Port Adelaide, Norwood, Claremont and West Torrens can create a rival comp? I'm sure they'd be competitive

Last edited:
They rightly determined that Richmond was a team on the bubble, they didn't realise that they needed to schedule all games interstate in order for them to be watchable. Even if we win at the 'G we still stink it up.

We haven't had a game on friday since round 9 2012.

equalization money is just buying an unfair fixture.

In 2007 Carlton and Hawthorn collectively had 3 Friday Night fixtures, that same year the W Bulldogs and St Kilda had 11 collectively

Make of that what you will...

Neither the Blues or Hawks got equalisation $$$, in 2007 the Dogs did...

They don't rate, why do they deserve a Friday night timeslot?

There's no real discernible difference in tv ratings between the clubs, most Friday night viewers are neutrals. In fact I'd say that the difference between viewers between clubs is not that much. Let me put it this way, do you only watch Friday night football because your team is playing?

What really gets impacted upon is attendances, the stadiums want the big drawing clubs to play Friday night, so they put the bigger clubs on.

There's no real discernible difference in tv ratings between the clubs, most Friday night viewers are neutrals. In fact I'd say that the difference between viewers between clubs is not that much. Let me put it this way, do you only watch Friday night football because your team is playing?

What really gets impacted upon is attendances, the stadiums want the big drawing clubs to play Friday night, so they put the bigger clubs on.

I'm not convinced Friday Night draws greater crowds than day fixtures.

The resolution for the crowd conundrum is to play Friday night games amongst the small Vic clubs at Ethiad / non Victorian games in Perth, Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane.

Back in the mid 2000's the AFL had a policy not to schedule Friday Nught games at the MCG, this allowed smaller Vic clubs to play plenty of Friday Night games at Ethiad through the middle part of the seasons

Fixture generator probably assumes we are based in WA because of the "Western". Some people have made that mistake :p

Seriously though we should get 3 Friday night games next year. Even Gold Coast & GWS deserve one FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back