AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Arsenal, Melbourne City
Carl v Rich - Tipping this one to be a demolition
Melb v GC - Close. 3 goal Suns win.
Syd v Ess - 5 or 6 goals
Lions v Coll - Pies by 2 goals
Dogs v WCE - Eagles by 3 goals. Depends on Kennedy. Play like we did againt Collingwood and this will go the other way.
Saints v GWS - Close. Saints by 2. If the Giants can shut down Riewoldt they take home the chocolates.
Ade v NM - Tough to pick. Roos just.
Freo v Port - Port should win, wouldn't be surprised to see Freo get up though.
Haw v Gee - Hawks by 5 or 6 goals.

Just curious why do you expect the Tigers to do a demolition job on Carlton?
If you look at the last 3 or 4 encounters between the sides it's been pretty close.
Also I think Carlton have shown a bit in the NAB challenge & Judd seems to be in great form.
I'll be tipping Carlton in a close one.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
First round would have the lowest tipping average of all the rounds, simply because we don't really know how teams are going to show up. You can get teams which are significantly better or worse than the previous season, crap teams which has smashed it preseason because none of the others are trying, or teams that come into the season half baked and get rolled by a lowly team. Think I've only got less than three wrong in the opening round once in the last eight years.

who_let_the_dogs_out

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 1, 2005
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Footscray
Just curious why do you expect the Tigers to do a demolition job on Carlton?
If you look at the last 3 or 4 encounters between the sides it's been pretty close.
Also I think Carlton have shown a bit in the NAB challenge & Judd seems to be in great form.
I'll be tipping Carlton in a close one.
Personally I don't rate Carlton's list overly highly, Waite and Garlett are going to turn out to be significant departures from their side.

You can never read too much into NAB form. We'll see come round 1.

Richmond have a much healthier list, and should win easily.

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
First round would have the lowest tipping average of all the rounds, simply because we don't really know how teams are going to show up. You can get teams which are significantly better or worse than the previous season, crap teams which has smashed it preseason because none of the others are trying, or teams that come into the season half baked and get rolled by a lowly team. Think I've only got less than three wrong in the opening round once in the last eight years.

Early rounds are crucial to your final position in tipping competitions. There's a lot of 'upsets' most don't predict. By May everyone goes off the new ladder and 90% tip the same. So if you're behind it's very hard to climb up.

Zarrix

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Everton
Early rounds are crucial to your final position in tipping competitions. There's a lot of 'upsets' most don't predict. By May everyone goes off the new ladder and 90% tip the same. So if you're behind it's very hard to climb up.

Yep got out to an early lead in most of my comps so after round 8 or so,just cruised to the line by tipping favourites every week. They may get the occasional upset right but they would be lucky to gain anything in the long run.

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Incredibly nervous for the season opener, don't think I can stomach another Carlton comeback.

Should be a great round of footy though, can't fault the AFL on their fixturing here.

Will certainly be nerve-wracking! Expectation has built to bursting point. Hopefully no injuries on either side and an action-packed match!

Deep Blue

Club Legend
Jun 11, 2007
The Como Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Personally I don't rate Carlton's list overly highly, Waite and Garlett are going to turn out to be significant departures from their side.

You can never read too much into NAB form. We'll see come round 1.

Richmond have a much healthier list, and should win easily.

That's why I've got you guys finishing in the lower reaches of the ladder.;)

Also not sure why you think Richmond have a much healthier list. You're entitled to your opinion as I am mine - we'll see soon enough - I'm sure it will be a cracking match whoever ends up winning.

Pressure will be already be on Hardwick if they fail to impress on Thursday night IMO.

Don't think we need to 'impress' so to speak but just get the win (even if it is close/ugly). Can't afford another slow start to the season like last year. If we lose, it puts a lot of pressure on the next 4 games.

GordonBlue

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 12, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal
I'm personally not nervous at all. Which could mean one of two things; I think we will easily win or I don't give us a chance.

Nov 9, 2010
de_dust2
AFL Club
Gold Coast
is anyone giving geelong a chance? hawkins and clarke looked ominous last week. I would be interested to hear other peoples perspectives on potential matchups and expectations!

bato

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 7, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Denver Nuggets, Novak Djokovic
I thought I would chime in and just inform everyone that Collingwood are going to get flogged by Brisbane, 10+ goals is absolutely on the cards.
They have looked sharp all NAB while our last 2 matches have been horrible to watch as a supporter, not to mention they smashed us last year in round 21 I think it was, at the MCG too, this is at the GABBA. I will probably be turning it off at half time.
I reckon Brisbane are huge finals chances this year and will surprise everyone, that midfield is now scary with 2 Beamsies.
We did play our strongest side in every game to be fair. Went to sleep for two quarters against the Suns which wasn't good to see. Just shows we'll still be vulnerable to a drop in intensity from time to time. Pies are very similar I think.

Don't think we need to 'impress' so to speak but just get the win (even if it is close/ugly). Can't afford another slow start to the season like last year. If we lose, it puts a lot of pressure on the next 4 games.

you're right as the first month is normally a bit rusty

and a win is a win

bkozican

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 9, 2011
W.A
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Boston Celtics
Good 1st round. As always...Should see some teams get up that we arent expecting.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
is anyone giving geelong a chance? hawkins and clarke looked ominous last week. I would be interested to hear other peoples perspectives on potential matchups and expectations!
In a Geelong v Hawks match, the Cats are always some sort of chance. Hawks will rightfully start favorites and I'll be tipping them, but it's not the easiest team for them to beat. Should be a contest at least for 3 quarters, the Hawks might kick away at the end but I doubt the final margin is beyond 30 points.

Feb 25, 2013
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I thought I would chime in and just inform everyone that Collingwood are going to get flogged by Brisbane, 10+ goals is absolutely on the cards.
They have looked sharp all NAB while our last 2 matches have been horrible to watch as a supporter, not to mention they smashed us last year in round 21 I think it was, at the MCG too, this is at the GABBA. I will probably be turning it off at half time.
I reckon Brisbane are huge finals chances this year and will surprise everyone, that midfield is now scary with 2 Beamsies.
Collingwood are better than that, IMO you can't take anything from the NAB Cup, unless there are injuries. Don't forget the Pies will be out to prove a bit as well so I certainly wouldn't count them out

I could see the dons fired up big time and beat us

Especially given our round 1 record

Cant wait though

If they are a full squad possibly

but I would be surprised if they could field a full squad for a while

Selim

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Carl v Rich - Going for a draw to start the season
Melb v GC - Suns By 26.