FTA-TV AFL 360 - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

It would be unprofessional for Lyon to publicly comment on the issue, that puts all coaches in a tricky position when journalists take aim at them in their articles.

You should see the journalists get rabid when a coach has the audacity to question them too. Public enemy #1. The need to have the last word, always.

It would be unprofessional for Lyon to publicly comment on the issue, that puts all coaches in a tricky position when journalists take aim at them in their articles.

You should see the journalists get rabid when a coach has the audacity to question them too. Public enemy #1. The need to have the last word, always.

I remember a few months after Ross had arrived, he was asked in an interview about the reaction to his move in the media.

He said something along the lines of " Most people got it about right and handled it professionally, apart from Gerard Whately who was lucky not to get sued" or words to that affect.

Funny that coaches and players, officials say they dont read the papers or watch the news...
Clearly a lie.

yep.

I remember a few months after Ross had arrived, he was asked in an interview about the reaction to his move in the media.

He said something along the lines of " Most people got it about right and handled it professionally, apart from Gerard Whately who was lucky not to get sued" or words to that affect.

lyon should've sued him if he was fair dinnkum

lawyers win in any case.

guess what im suggesting is that if someone publically says "lucky he isnt sued", then stand by convictions.

I am pretty sure that when Ross had made the big move over here, his focus was on coaching a footy team and doing his job, rather than starting something that would be a massive distraction.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-09-16/whateley-the-lyon-manoeuvre/2901776

Here is the Whately article.

This article was disgraceful. Whately at his pontificating, self righteous, pious worst.

Lyon has every right to still be seething over this. Whately has never apologised.

Why would he apologise? Lyon clearly acted deceitfully towards both his club and management, plus it's very rare for a coach to accept a job whilst the incumbent still holds their position with time left on their contract. Lyon chose to do it, he should be man enough to accept the consequences.

Why would he apologise? Lyon clearly acted deceitfully towards both his club and management, plus it's very rare for a coach to accept a job whilst the incumbent still holds their position with time left on their contract. Lyon chose to do it, he should be man enough to accept the consequences.

Lyon couldn't be open with his club or his management due to the circumstances. He especially couldn't inform his management as they represented Harvey as well.

My recollection was that Lyon did accept the consequences in that he fronted up to a press conference and addressed those questions directly.

If there should be any criticism it should be directed at the club for head-hunting Harvey's replacement while he was still employed. Personally, I think it was the correct decision, but maybe the method could have been nicer.

Whately was way over the top however.

Bollocks. Lyon acted the only way he could with the situation as it was. His manager was also Mark Harvey's manager. That meant that he had to act alone and outside of the norm.

This is how St Kilda reacted to being "deceived".

“Disappointment is about the only word I can come up with, because Ross served us well. He’s achieved a lot and I had every reason to believe up until 5.30 last night he was going to continue with the St Kilda Football Club. I wouldn’t say [we feel] betrayed, because football is that sort of business, people move on, things change,” said CEO Michael Nettefold yesterday.

Captain Nick Riewoldt, while also “disappointed”, was in a similar frame of mind discussing the issue on Channel Seven.

“I respect his decision. He’s been a great coach for us and we have achieved relative success together, and I wish him all the best for the future,” he said.

They sounded devastated !

Bollocks. Lyon acted the only way he could with the situation as it was. His manager was also Mark Harvey's manager. That meant that he had to act alone and outside of the norm.

“Disappointment is about the only word I can come up with, because Ross served us well. He’s achieved a lot and I had every reason to believe up until 5.30 last night he was going to continue with the St Kilda Football Club. I wouldn’t say [we feel] betrayed, because football is that sort of business, people move on, things change,” said CEO Michael Nettefold yesterday.

Captain Nick Riewoldt, while also “disappointed”, was in a similar frame of mind discussing the issue on Channel Seven.

“I respect his decision. He’s been a great coach for us and we have achieved relative success together, and I wish him all the best for the future,” he said.

what could st kilda say publicaly. of course they will say theyre disappointed. the word disappointed has lost all meaning anyway these days. no substance.

im interested in getting a st kilda POV as i am not across what happened totally. Plugger35

(Log in to remove this ad.)

what could st kilda say publicaly. of course they will say theyre disappointed. the word disappointed has lost all meaning anyway these days. no substance.

im interested in getting a st kilda POV as i am not across what happened totally. Plugger35

Oh no. Go back and read every second post of Plugger35 since it happened and you will find out what he thinks of Ross.

Whately was over the top but it also just as much a crack at the AFL and it's money grabbing participants. Ross is just merely trying to be a bully or still prove some point no one gives a s**t about. Would take one 'pious' article from Gerard over 15 crayon sketchings from the man sits to his left and stinks of booze and failure most nights. Add to that Ken Judge and a lot of others who have columns.

Yes, of course that was their exact feelings :rolleyes:

They just wanted to move on and put it behind them, something poor old Ross clearly can't do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back