AFL @ Adelaide's Oval - That time is now.

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...-start-of-season/story-fni2usfi-1226688989139

So the entire ODD calendar is going to be played in Sydney in the space of three weeks, removing 4 home games from the season. This has been done to allow a great focus on the Twenty20 hit and giggle "competition".

Yep, the value just keeps getting better and better.
I do like how purists hated the one day game "pajama cricket" with a passion, but now that T20 has come along it doesn't seem so bad anymore.

Maybe we need to develop a one over game and then purists will embrace T20

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/c...-start-of-season/story-fni2usfi-1226688989139

So the entire ODD calendar is going to be played in Sydney in the space of three weeks, removing 4 home games from the season. This has been done to allow a great focus on the Twenty20 hit and giggle "competition".

Yep, the value just keeps getting better and better.

The Big Bash is a great pile of s**t.

I don't mind going to AO to drink beers on the hill and watch a 20 over game, but it is disgusting how Cricket Australia have prioritised it ahead of all other forms of cricket (and yet they wonder why our test side sucks). Nearly two months for a T20 tournament? What a ****ing joke.

I do like how purists hated the one day game "pajama cricket" with a passion, but now that T20 has come along it doesn't seem so bad anymore.

excellent point.

but T20 is the evolution of the "limited overs cricket" concept, so the change has been less shocking than from test to one dayers. I simply cant stand the play-style of T20, no tactics, just wall-to-wall high-risk run scoring.

Each to their own I guess, and it's nice to see some real money in cricket.

I cant remember what its like to watch a game at Adelaide oval, can anyone enlighten me?

Whats the ground like? similar to AAMI or bigger like the MCG?
Is there likely to be cover from wind?

Is the ground quicker/slower?

I cant remember what its like to watch a game at Adelaide oval, can anyone enlighten me?

Whats the ground like? similar to AAMI or bigger like the MCG?
Is there likely to be cover from wind?
quote]

LOL, it's going to be windy - unfortunately we aren't finishing the stadium, one end is completly open - no grandstands. Lovely in summer for the cricket but middle of winter.....

it is not going to be windy.

or are you some kind of weather expert who can enlighten us on to why it will be "windy"

LOL no definately not a weather expert, the question was "is there any cover from the wind".

My reply was assuming that it was a windy day having one end of the ground open would reduce any "cover" effect that grandstands would normally provide (like at other AFL venues)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not sure if this has been posted in here but saw this link on the discussion on the stadiums forum. Some good pictures but I needed to scale back the zoom to see them as they were really large.

http://www.theplan.net.au/adam-hann...-us-on-a-tour-of-adelaide-oval-redevelopment/

The comparisson to the MCG pic is really interesting, that mid level will be so close to the game

I keep thinking the lower level doesnt look to have a great sloping elevation, but from that pic it looks like the slope is the same as the MCG (Crows claim its more than AAMI) but as it doesnt go back nearly as much the back level of seats arent going to be as elevated. I wonder how this compares to AAMI and also if it is less rows than AAMI, if it pushes everyones seats further around. Hope not!

Not completely open. They're leaving the Moreton Bay fig trees, which have acted as a windbreak for roughly half a century (maybe even longer).

God the bloody fig trees again, have a serious hate for them, don't get me wrong I love the traditional elements of the ground but geez the falling plantation and the stench of rotten figs whether it be due to extreme heat or heavy rain has always bothered me whether I be working or watching cricket down that end. Of course with them being heritage listed they couldn't go, imagine if the Adelaide City Council ran the MCG they'd still be a Gum tree at one end of the ground.

Would of loved the western stand to continue through to the northern end, enclosing the stadium a bit more, still keeping the hill below the scoreboard for the louts, something like this:

d1h7.png

Also have a miscellaneous question, what's going to happen when heavy rain forces patrons off of the standing grass areas at the northern end, surely due to saftey regulations they'd have to rope them off, wondering what the contingency plan for this is?

Port have announced a new premium members category on the mid tier of the eastern stand, offered to their platinum members 1st (assume equivalent of our gold). Has anyone heard the crows confirm similar, i know they have talked about their being a potential new level of membership in premium seats but nothing further.

If so how much would people expect it to cost (or anyone know if port have costed theirs?)

Also have a miscellaneous question, what's going to happen when heavy rain forces patrons off of the standing grass areas at the northern end, surely due to saftey regulations they'd have to rope them off, wondering what the contingency plan for this is?

I have often wondered this, surely it will become very slippery, even muddy at times.

maybe they assume if the weather gets to that point there will be enough no shows that there will be enough space in alternate standing room areas?

maybe it is flat enough and used infrequently enough that it will never be a safety issue

Our test team is getting closer to perfecting this new game.

excellent point.

but T20 is the evolution of the "limited overs cricket" concept, so the change has been less shocking than from test to one dayers. I simply cant stand the play-style of T20, no tactics, just wall-to-wall high-risk run scoring.

Each to their own I guess, and it's nice to see some real money in cricket.
I much prefer test cricket but I dont get the t20 hate.

The tactics are up a notch if anything. There are field changes every ball, bowling changes every over. They set a differnt field for each delivery, coordinated with the bowler. Mid off mid on up, short ball. Fine leg third man up, slower ball. And double bluff. Batters premeditate and bowlers have to try to read their minds like the Warne example.

Sure, it doesn't have the ebb and flow or slow burning tension of a test match.

I know from captaining t20 games you are under the pump more and have to think/react quicker than longer form games. You are drained afterwards. There's been no reduction in the number of test matches. I don't get the hate. Slogging? You can't slog effectively without an excellent technique. Was Gilchrist a slogger?

God the bloody fig trees again, have a serious hate for them, don't get me wrong I love the traditional elements of the ground but geez the falling plantation and the stench of rotten figs whether it be due to extreme heat or heavy rain has always bothered me whether I be working or watching cricket down that end. Of course with them being heritage listed they couldn't go, imagine if the Adelaide City Council ran the MCG they'd still be a Gum tree at one end of the ground.

Would of loved the western stand to continue through to the northern end, enclosing the stadium a bit more, still keeping the hill below the scoreboard for the louts, something like this:

d1h7.png

I still think the fig trees will go one day and a southern stand will appear. if demand greatly exceeds supply, it will eventually happen.

also, i'd have liked them to extend the stand all the way round, leave the Hill though, move the scoreboard forward a bit and build a second tier stand on top of it. (hopefully that makes sense)

The tactics are up a notch if anything. There are field changes every ball, bowling changes every over. They set a differnt field for each delivery, coordinated with the bowler. Mid off mid on up, short ball. Fine leg third man up, slower ball. And double bluff. Batters premeditate and bowlers have to try to read their minds like the Warne example.

I know from captaining t20 games you are under the pump more and have to think/react quicker than longer form games. You are drained afterwards. There's been no reduction in the number of test matches. I don't get the hate. Slogging? You can't slog effectively without an excellent technique. Was Gilchrist a slogger?
I used to hate them, but I too think the tactical side of it has really evolved and it is no longer just an attempted slog every ball.

the 50 over game doesn't really interest me at all anymore.

I still think the fig trees will go one day and a southern stand will appear. if demand greatly exceeds supply, it will eventually happen.

Fig trees don't live forever, so yes, it will happen one day. I think I've read they have somewhere between 10 and 30 years of life left in them.

You know, provided someone doesn't go all Burnside on them and drill poison into the drunks.

yeah, i love the tests too.

bottom line is that theres 120 balls in a t20 innings and 10 wickets to work with, so you can theoretically afford to lose a wicket every 12 balls. No matter how you look at it, this translates into a slogfest.

Who mentioned gilchrist?

I dont hate t20, i just dont care about it at all.

You know, provided someone doesn't go all Burnside on them and drill poison into the drunks.

Poison the drunks and there won't be any need for the hill!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back